Looking for advice for HHKB topre switches

Sly

20 May 2024, 17:56

I am planning on buying a HHKB but I also want to get different keycaps.
The thing that is a bit of a dilemma for me is that the topre switches look like they support cherry style keycaps but not too sure
because I never see different keycaps on other peoples HHKB's.
So I'm basically just asking if I can use normal cherry keycaps or if I need to buy special ones for them.

tactica

20 May 2024, 19:12

A cursory look at wiki/Topre_switch reveals that no, you can't use Cherry MX keycaps with Topre switches. Just compare the mount with wiki/Keycap_mount#Cherry_MX_mount.

Sly

20 May 2024, 19:20

tactica wrote:
20 May 2024, 19:12
A cursory look at wiki/Topre_switch reveals that no, you can't use Cherry MX keycaps with Topre switches. Just compare the mount with wiki/Keycap_mount#Cherry_MX_mount.
Thanks bro, I see its just the novatouch that had the MX style mount.

engr

21 May 2024, 05:45

There are a few aftermarket options although none of them seem to be perfect.
Topre Realforce RGB comes with MX sliders, but from what I have heard, they are also not as good as regular Topre mount sliders.

wobbled

21 May 2024, 14:50

Both deskeys and densus sell full sets of aftermarket sliders.
There were fitment issues with the first generation of deskeys sliders but those have been resolved. Either are good options but last I checked densus was cheaper
https://klc-playground.com/collections/ ... -and-packs

https://deskeys.io/

applehugger

21 May 2024, 21:43

engr wrote:
21 May 2024, 05:45
There are a few aftermarket options although none of them seem to be perfect.
Topre Realforce RGB comes with MX sliders, but from what I have heard, they are also not as good as regular Topre mount sliders.
I have a Topre RGB and when it comes to stability and smoothness, I can find no difference between the MX-compadible sliders and the standard Topre sliders on my regular Realforce. I think this opinion that the RGB sliders are inferior comes from sound. Unsilenced, the regular Topre sliders sound fine, but the RBG ones sound very plasticy, high-pitched, and rattly. I silenced my RGB and it made an HUGE difference. I doubt anyone could tell which sliders were which if both keyboards had the same domes and similar keycaps.

wobbled

22 May 2024, 13:49

Besides a silence mod for the rgb, the other best mod you can do is add some gaskets between the plate and housings, takes away any remaining rattle and back to being a decent topre board

Return to “Keyboards”