Keyboards and 'Wife Acceptance Factor' (WAF) ..

Peter

03 Jul 2012, 17:28

'WAF' is an old hifi-nerd expression ..
(It means that your nerdy expensive man-toys need a quality that makes your Wife accept their presence in 'your' home :D)

In your experience, what is the 'WAF' of keyboard-collecting ?
(ignoring the obvious part of it that all women like : VALUE !)

My wife mocked my hobby, until she tried 3 different switches .
Now she is way more supportive about it and even has a decent keyboard herself !

urbanus

03 Jul 2012, 23:21

My wife hasn't said specifically, but I think she looks at the thousands (or tens of thousands) of dollars that other men spend on their hobbies, the hundreds I have spent on keyboards, and figures the situation could be worse. :)

As to her own interest, she has none. If you really enjoy fine keyboards it's hard to understand how anyone could not; yet some people simply do not. My wife is one of them. Oh well.

domin8r

04 Jul 2012, 09:58

GF is allright with it.. she sees it's not really costing me money (me finding boards and cleaning/selling them) and have them in my own "office". She has her own Pink TKL Hello Kitty board but it's a rubberdome.. She doesn't care about switches, hammers on my ergo-clears (noooooooh).

harrison

04 Jul 2012, 18:42

my wife doesn't care if the keyboard has a number pad or not, she's used to typing on a laptop... but she can't stand that i've got black engraved PBT keys because she can't touch-type numbers. shouldn't be much of an issue once i've got my phantom built, since i'll be using cherry PBTs on it.

emptythecache

05 Jul 2012, 14:01

my ex was ok with it, mostly because i don't just collect way too much shit to ever use, I cycle it. For instanced, I just bought a filco with reds, so I sold my filco with browns maintaining my keyboard count at two.

4en

05 Jul 2012, 15:13

my gf didn't really care until she felt my poker with her own hands and now she's a bit more supportive :)
i am actually going to get her one for her birthday now

Peter

05 Jul 2012, 15:38

4en wrote:my gf didn't really care until she felt my poker with her own hands ...
Hehehe .. Yes, that has been known to work in some cases :lol:

InSanCen

05 Jul 2012, 18:45

Mine wasn't bothered, and rolled her eyes. Until I put the AT102W on to clean the M13, and she heard the difference. She far prefers the AT102W, and positively hates the Model F AT.

dirge

05 Jul 2012, 18:51

My WAF is actually pretty good. First time I walked into a hifi shop, she said the Monitor audio FB212 looked really nice and I should buy it..... £1600 worth of sub!

Have them partnered with some radius 180's at the front and their custom install range rears and an Arcam AVR 350.

Also she the hhkb looked really nice.... Can't tell you how blessed I am, love my woman, have a perfect child and a beer next to me now that she fetched from the fridge.

tadbitnerdy

05 Jul 2012, 19:11

My wife is tolerant of my hobby to an extent. I have a budget per month that we both agreed on, but I also sell old tech stuff and use that money. She doesn't understand, and even goes so far to say it is all (nerd stuff in general) a waste of money. However, to my surprise, the day I unpacked my first mechanical (Leopold TKL with browns) she (not surprisingly) asked "Why did you need a new keyboard? Your old one worked just fine didn't it?" Then she used the keyboard. After a half hour of facebook commenting and email writing she said "Wow, this keyboard is really nice. It reminds me of an old keyboard. I like the sound."

That is my second success with the WAF in five years of marriage. I think that is a pretty good record (2 of infinite).

-Tad

longweight
key-bored

05 Jul 2012, 19:17

My girlfriend is amazing, she talks to me about colour combinations, whether I should buy a board and tries the new ones out when they come in :) She even has one at work as well now!

Imersa

05 Jul 2012, 19:20

My girlfriend is understanding and does take an interset when it comes to the aesthetic of my board.
She does however get a bit mad at the money I spend on some of it....

Return to “Keyboards”