Das 4C Pro

zts

25 Feb 2015, 01:33

Just got my hands on Daskeyboard 4C Professional (the *Ultimate* is identical just with blank caps):
DAS_4C.jpeg
DAS_4C.jpeg (271.06 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
Overall, it's an attractive TKL package with rounded corners on the anodized aluminum plate:
DAS_4C_3b.jpeg
DAS_4C_3b.jpeg (243.15 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
Everything is big in Texas, even TKLs -- compared to Filco TKL and HHKB:
DAS_4C_4.jpeg
DAS_4C_4.jpeg (350.31 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
DAS_4C_5.jpeg
DAS_4C_5.jpeg (296.82 KiB) Viewed 5926 times
- Positives: attractive, high quality build, sturdy, pleasant to type on (browns); two USB ports; 6+ ft USB cord
- Neutral: GREETECH clone browns are somewhat *scratchy* compared to the MX browns implemented in Filco, Max Keyboard, and Deck TKLs; non-detachable USB cord; the included magnetic ruler acts as legs (providing only about 4 degree angle); no backlight; 3 LEDs; no Windows logo on command key
- Negative: the widest TKL I've seen lately; UV coated ABS caps (they seem to be of a higher quality as ABS caps go); a bit overpriced for what it is; not disclosing on the packaging that GREETECH clone switches are used (instead of Cherry MX)

Overall, a good looking and unique looking TKL that's just a bit too large to be competitive in the compactness department with other TKLs.
Last edited by zts on 25 Feb 2015, 02:24, edited 2 times in total.

scottc

25 Feb 2015, 01:37

Aren't the switches in these supposed to be clones? Could you pop a cap and show us a close-up please?

zts

25 Feb 2015, 02:12

scottc wrote: Aren't the switches in these supposed to be clones? Could you pop a cap and show us a close-up please?
Maybe they used some clone switches. I'll check.

zts

25 Feb 2015, 02:18

Yep, it's a clone -- GREETECH followed by either G1, G7, or GT (can't really decipher the last character). Edited the original post to indicate the clone switches.

eldorange

25 Feb 2015, 10:48

which is better for typing HHKB or Das?

HzFaq

25 Feb 2015, 10:58

I kind of like it, it looks unique.

Any chance of a teardown/internal shots as well?

zts

25 Feb 2015, 11:12

eldorange wrote: which is better for typing HHKB or Das?
For me its HHKB over Das, but that's just a personal bias since I strongly prefer Topre over Cherry MX and its clones. But if you are just looking at Cherry MX+clones, Das 4C is very comfy and good for longer typing sessions (even the clone switches they are using are not that bad, just a touch *scratchy* compared to some perfectly executed TKL keyboards with Cherry MX browns (Filco, Deck, Max come to mind).

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Feb 2015, 11:21

zts wrote: Negative: the widest TKL I've seen lately; UV coated ABS caps (they seem to be of a higher quality as ABS caps go); a bit overpriced for what it is; not disclosing on the packaging that GREETECH clone switches are used (instead of Cherry MX)
I can´t believe that they are selling this with GREETECH clone switches and NOT telling the customer! Unbelievable bullsh... :o :evilgeek: WTF ?!? Nice, let´s screw the customer over, who cares right? They must assume their customers are too retarded to pull a cap and notice!

I do actually like the looks of it. It´s the first Das I would buy, but after reading this...NOT happening for me. I don´t see any mention of the GREETECH clone´s online either:

http://www.daskeyboard.com/de/daskeyboa ... fessional/

mind pulling a cap for us zts so that we can see that GREETECH clone glory?

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 11:57

Well, I didn't like Das before, and I certainly don't now!

@eldorange: The HHKB is so far ahead of MX brown it's not even funny. If you're looking at TKLs, keep an eye on the Realforce range, which is made by Topre (just like the HHKB) and has a traditional layout. Some of us prefer the HHKB (I own one, but no Realforce) for its tiny size and minimal layout, but it's really about taste. Comparing Topre to Cherry switches though, well, that's a world of difference!

andrewjoy

25 Feb 2015, 12:01

call me old fashioned , but i prefer a filco

It just wastes space IMO and it just looks a bit off i cannot put my finger on it .

I am sure its very good quality and it does look sturdy.

and i don't think its even genuine MX.

scottc

25 Feb 2015, 12:12

andrewjoy wrote: call me old fashioned , but i prefer a filco

It just wastes space IMO and it just looks a bit off i cannot put my finger on it .

I am sure its very good quality and it does look sturdy.

and i don't think its even genuine MX.
zts wrote: Yep, it's a clone -- GREETECH followed by either G1, G7, or GT (can't really decipher the last character). Edited the original post to indicate the clone switches.
Yep, they're clones alright!

I've never had a Filco, just a Chinese clone of it. I quite like the clone, though.

I like the anodised plate on this Das, though. It sounds quite nice.

zts

25 Feb 2015, 12:14

My macro lens is out .. so the results are not the best but I think the lettering can be seen in the 2nd pic:
greetech_in_DAS4C.jpeg
greetech_in_DAS4C.jpeg (586.36 KiB) Viewed 5795 times
greetech_in_DAS4C2.jpeg
greetech_in_DAS4C2.jpeg (97.65 KiB) Viewed 5795 times

scottc

25 Feb 2015, 12:17

Looks like G7 to me! Thanks for the pictures.

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 12:36

Those legends! Keep them out of sight!!

One good thing on show: Cherry stabs. Or are they clones as well!

seebart

25 Feb 2015, 12:42

zts wrote: My macro lens is out .. so the results are not the best but I think the lettering can be seen in the 2nd
yes G7 indeed. In this pricerange something like this is unacceptable to me. I´m pretty sure diatec would not choose these for their Filco´s. I do own a Filco with MX Browns. Excellent TKL.Thanks for taking those pics zts!
Muirium wrote: Those legends! Keep them out of sight!!

One good thing on show: Cherry stabs. Or are they clones as well!
would not suprise me either in this case. DAS ist OUT for me! :lol:

andrewjoy

25 Feb 2015, 13:36

the legends are even worse than filco legends and they are bad :P

brdrgz

25 Feb 2015, 13:43

Honestly I prefer the bezel on the 4C. TKL keyboards tend to take on a cheap, tacky look when they have a thin bezel. It gives the impression that the keyboard is just a half-assed variant of a traditional full-size keyboard. This is why the IBM SSK has such a beautiful appearance, IMO. The thick borders give some strength and intentionality to the design. The Realforce TKL is a good example of an attempt to compromise -- giving the keys some breathing room with a nice top and bottom bezel, while attempting to squeeze out some space in the sides.

Also why on this good green Earth would you explicitly ask for a Windows key on your keyboard?? Now an Apple / Mac / command logo I wouldn't mind ;)

Finally, TKLs are not winning any compactness awards. True compact boards like the HHKB and V60 shame any TKL when it comes to condensed functionality.

Please don't consider the fact that I'm from Texas when reading this. :lol:

I grew up in Chicago anyway!

ShivaYash

25 Feb 2015, 18:13

Filco.

Muirium
µ

25 Feb 2015, 18:42

ShivaYash wrote: Filco.
Mysterious.

seebart

25 Feb 2015, 19:02

Muirium wrote:
ShivaYash wrote: Filco.
Mysterious.
Minimalist.[emoji16]

the1onewolf

25 Feb 2015, 23:20

ABS caps are a big no no in this day and age :P

zts

26 Feb 2015, 00:44

After lots of typing, the switch is actually a notch below Kailh browns in quality (as the clones go). I compared it with Kailh in Keycool Mini 84 and Kailh in Keycool TKL (that is a mediocre brand at best). Not sure if this (Greetech) clone is the switch of choice for all Das keyboards in the future or just this one. I think it was a bad decision to cut the cost and replace a known quality (Cherry MX) with something that may or may not work. I replaced keycaps with a set of PBTs to at least get a better feel when typing. That helped to some extent.
DAS_4C_PBT.jpeg
DAS_4C_PBT.jpeg (462.19 KiB) Viewed 5658 times
The size (width) remain the issue. At 15.5 inches wide its about 1.5 inches wider than a typical TKL ... and add two more inches and you could be typing on this amazing thing instead:
RF104UG_HiPro1.jpeg
RF104UG_HiPro1.jpeg (337.39 KiB) Viewed 5658 times
(Realforce 104UG-HiPro; Model: YK2100)

seebart

26 Feb 2015, 08:11

zts wrote: After lots of typing, the switch is actually a notch below Kailh browns in quality (as the clones go). I compared it with Kailh in Keycool Mini 84 and Kailh in Keycool TKL (that is a mediocre brand at best). Not sure if this (Greetech) clone is the switch of choice for all Das keyboards in the future or just this one. I think it was a bad decision to cut the cost and replace a known quality (Cherry MX) with something that may or may not work. I replaced keycaps with a set of PBTs to at least get a better feel when typing. That helped to some extent.
as a Das customer you should send an email telling them exactly that! And if that´s your RF HiPro you can put your Das aside anyway! Thanks for the info´s.

imbattable

26 Feb 2015, 10:12

zts wrote:
DAS_4C_PBT.jpeg
What set is that? RoB on the modifiers would mean doubleshots but the font is different than the vortex PBT doubleshots I know. Also I have never seen that color scheme.

zts

26 Feb 2015, 10:53

imbattable wrote:
zts wrote:
DAS_4C_PBT.jpeg
What set is that? RoB on the modifiers would mean doubleshots but the font is different than the vortex PBT doubleshots I know. Also I have never seen that color scheme.
These are *Dark Blood* doubleshot PBTs by Tai-Hao (Taiwan).

Muirium
µ

26 Feb 2015, 11:17

zts wrote: add two more inches and you could be typing on this amazing thing instead
The best way to end a runaway keyboard collecting habit is to get a Topre. Why on Earth did you even look at a Das when you've got a HiPro? (Assuming that's what you meant.)

Warning: car analogy. That's like getting into premium German cars but still buying the occasional Nissan, just to tart it up with tinted windows and chintzy fairings!
Spoiler:
Bitchin'!
But my other car's totally an M series.

brdrgz

26 Feb 2015, 14:30

Hey! That's the little car I always see in UK movies! The hoodlum-ish character always has one.

scottc

26 Feb 2015, 14:35

Muirium wrote: The best way to end a runaway keyboard collecting habit is to get a Topre.
I don't know... I've been deep in the rabbit hole of Cherry collectors recently and I've seen some crazy things. I've seen NIB Cherry MY boards with dyesubs costing multiple times the price of Realforces, even from the Keyboard Co...

Muirium
µ

26 Feb 2015, 15:11

Exactly. I don't understand the Cherry guys at all. Maybe I will when my first set of caps arrives from DanielT. But consider me skeptical. Topre caps are some of the nicest out there, and I know IBM beamsprings!

scottc

26 Feb 2015, 15:25

They are some very nice caps. The doubleshot ABS caps are the nicest-feeling cylindrical caps I've used, and I anticipate that the dyesub PBTs are much better. I'll know for sure quite soon, thanks to my recent excellent find. DSA granite is currently my all-time favourite thanks to the excellent rough feeling to them, but I think that Cherry dyesubs might take the title.

I'm not the hugest fan of the keys on my HHKB Pro 1. I was initially very impressed with them, but after using Granite and Cherry doubleshots for some time, I have to say that I don't like them as much as before.

Return to “Keyboards”