Cherry MX - broken in point?

ShivaYash

27 Feb 2015, 23:49

Chaps,

When does a Cherry MX switch feel 'broken in'. I know some LOVE worn/ vintage Cherry KBs.

I have two such KBs, both of which have seen a few years of solid use. Are they now 'broken in'.

Do vintage switches differ from modern switches?

Many thanks for the lesson.

scottc

27 Feb 2015, 23:56

I don't think it's the switches being "broken in" from wear. "Vintage" MX black switches (from around 1988-1989, but perhaps also 1990) definitely do feel "smoother" in comparison to the MX black switches in production today. This is observable even in NIB keyboards from that period that were never used. I think the general consensus is that the composition of the plastic in the slider is different, but I don't know if there's any solid scientific proof about it.

ShivaYash

28 Feb 2015, 00:15

Thanks for that.

Yslen

28 Feb 2015, 01:57

There is a difference in feel that comes from use, at least with linear switches. I've got some old bank keyboards with blacks around here somewhere, and there's a noticeable difference between the switches under function keys and those under the (presumably heavily used) numpad. It's consistent across all three boards, so I'm fairly convinced it's from use rather than anything else. I harvested the smoothest for my JD40 :D

Return to “Keyboards”