Plate for Phantom build

bstafford

28 Feb 2015, 20:00

Hi,

(New guy here. I don't know a damn thing about keyboards, as will become obvious.)

I'm working on building a Phantom keyboard. I've ordered a PCB and some other components, but I'm not sure how to go about getting a plate.

I found the DXF files at the bottom of the page here: http://deskthority.net/wiki/Phantom, and I'm familiar with laser and waterjet cutting, so I have some hope. This leads me to a few questions:

1. Is it true that I can't buy a Phantom plate anywhere?

2. If I can't buy a plate, what should I cut the plate out of? 1.5 mm thick 6061 aluminum? 304 stainless of the same thickness? I suspect aluminum would be a little cheaper, but I figure it's going to be expensive either way, so if stainless gives the keyboard a meatier feel, I might prefer that.

I would appreciate any advice.

Brandon

scottc

01 Mar 2015, 21:54

I'd be up for a small group buy for plates if anyone were to set one up anytime soon. Getting several plates cut at the same time should reduce costs dramatically.

The plate can be either aluminium or steel, but some people find steel makes the keyboard too tired over time. I think steel is generally cheaper, at least it was last time I got a plate cut.

Findecanor

01 Mar 2015, 22:26

You've got PM.

CyriusG

02 Mar 2015, 16:21

scottc wrote: I'd be up for a small group buy for plates if anyone were to set one up anytime soon. Getting several plates cut at the same time should reduce costs dramatically.

The plate can be either aluminium or steel, but some people find steel makes the keyboard too tired over time. I think steel is generally cheaper, at least it was last time I got a plate cut.
I would be interested in a small group buy.

scottc

02 Mar 2015, 16:28

It might be worthwhile to hold an interest check at some point, then. I could do that if necessary.

chzel

02 Mar 2015, 16:44

I'd be in for 1 ANSI plate (or perhaps 2, depending on cost) in stainless steel preferably!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

02 Mar 2015, 16:50

Is there any winkeyless Phantom-compatible case?

If so, I'd clearly be in for at least one complete kit (case, PCB and plate).

scottc

02 Mar 2015, 16:52

I'm dong a winkeyless build ramnes, just getting the aluminium Filco-compatible case from mechanicalkeyboards and going to fill in the holes later with blockers or something.

chzel

02 Mar 2015, 16:53

A Filco/compatible with two square thingies to cover the gaps???

Edit: scott beat me to it!
Last edited by chzel on 02 Mar 2015, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

02 Mar 2015, 16:53

scottc wrote: I'm dong a winkeyless build ramnes, just getting the aluminium Filco-compatible case from mechanicalkeyboards and going to fill in the holes later with blockers or something.
Yeah, well, I would prefere not to use blockers. :(

scottc

02 Mar 2015, 16:57

Yeah, I know what you mean. Buy a plate now, get a case later! :evilgeek:

I'm going to start an IC since it seems like we'll have enough interest.

scottc

02 Mar 2015, 17:03

Return to “Keyboards”