IBM Kb- 7953 sounds exactly like HHKB Pro 2 Type-S and feels amazing

burn1nsun

08 Mar 2015, 12:16

I got this keyboard for 2€ from a thrift shop, it was the filthiest thing I've ever seen in my life, but then I cleaned it. Hard. And the next morning, WOW, this keyboard beats all the buckling spring and cherry mx keyboards I've ever tried, it really make think why don't they make keyboards like this anymore, I ordered a HHKB Pro 1 about a week ago too, not even sure if I'll like it more than this keyboard, because this would be extremely hard to beat

Typing sound sample video(Sorry for the epic letterbox): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9gMXTv ... e=youtu.be

Muirium
µ

08 Mar 2015, 13:10

Report back in a month.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

08 Mar 2015, 13:24

but you´ve actually tried Topre and IBM capacitive buckling spring over a longer period of time? How about Alps or Hi-Tek? I could go on and on here:

http://deskthority.net/w/index.php?titl ... e#mw-pages

Don´t make up your mind too soon! 8-)

Muirium
µ

08 Mar 2015, 13:27

I assume the board is rubberdome. Can't view YouTube at the moment. Browsing 7bit style…

seebart

08 Mar 2015, 13:33

IBM Kb- 7953 is a rubberdome yes. I´ve read in the past that some people say IBM domes sound and feel a little like Topre but I´d say that´s "streching it" a bit. On the other hand I´ve never tried a IBM rubberdome. I´m still thinking about getting lowpoly´s rubber unsaver though.

here´s a GH related page:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=15185.0

Muirium
µ

08 Mar 2015, 13:49

The way that "oh, it's just a dome, sorry, nevermind" comes up so often with IBM finds suggests to me they're nothing special.

And there's a long history of people who are new to mechs (or anything) making sweeping statements early on, before backpedalling when they have more knowledge to put early experiences into perspective.

hKing

08 Mar 2015, 14:02

How is the keycap-quality of this board? Read somewhere that only one round in the dishwasher is enough to get all the ink from the caps ...

eldorange

08 Mar 2015, 17:53

IBM rubber domes are excellent too; unappreciated though. I have two IBM KB-0225 (from an IBM Think Centre) bought for US$ 2 each last year...

Good build quality for an IBM rubber dome at that price...

Here are some proud owners of IBM (Lenovo) KB-0225:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKPCa-2YvR8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vBawffoeNE

But with my newly bought second hand IBM Model M 1391401, I am a definitely happier...
Last edited by eldorange on 10 Mar 2015, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

08 Mar 2015, 20:55

I have a rubber dome model M, and it's crap, like really. Only good for a spare case.

andrewjoy

09 Mar 2015, 01:12

I speak from personal experience when i say the KB-0225 is one of the worst keyboards i have ever had the displeasure of using, they feel mushy and i have seen better plastic on disposable coffee cups. Until i got my cherry ML in my old work ( and then filco) i stuck with my Compaq KB-9963 that was not too bad.

burn1nsun

09 Mar 2015, 18:22

Sorry for being inactive on this topic, I forgot that I don't get any notifications on this site when someone posts something in a topic i've made, but I still love this keyboard, the only downside is that when I type on it when typing fast not sure if I or the keyboard tends to skip a letter for and example ''you'' ending up as ''oyu'' or one letter ending up in the beginning of another one like ''goo dfor you''
It might be just me but who knows, it still feels great, I cant wait for my hhkb pro 1 to arrive so i could really try out topres in comparison.

eldorange

09 Mar 2015, 18:31

yes its true..." don't get any notifications on this site when someone posts something in a topic"

same problem here...I mean with the notification in DT forum...not on the IBM rubber domes...

Daniel Beardsmore

09 Mar 2015, 22:31

Globally: Your name (top right) → User Control Panel → Board preferences → Edit posting defaults → Notify me upon replies by default = Yes (or the equivalent in another language) — though I've never tested this personally

For just one topic, click the "Subscribe topic" button at the top right (paper, green plus) — can be set whether you reply or not; I very rarely use this.

Muirium
µ

09 Mar 2015, 23:10

It's a decent feature… if you're not generally active but need to follow certain topics. You'll get a lot of emails, though!

stratokaster

09 Mar 2015, 23:45

I have an IBM KB-9910, which is a more recent version of KB-7953 (it even says "KB-7953" on the inside), and it's a very good rubber dome keyboard. I used to have one of them at home and another one at the office. I recently acquired an old Dell AT101W which I now use at home, but I still use the IBM at the office because I work in a small room which I share with my business partner, and he'll probably kill me if I bring a clicky keyboard there.

The only thing about it I don't like is that the Russian and the Latin legends are switched (the Russian legends are located higher on the keycaps and use larger font than the Latin ones) and it's confusing as hell. Thankfully I'm a touch-typist, so it doesn't bother me (but it prevents other people from using my computer).

burn1nsun

29 Mar 2015, 12:33

Okay now after almost a month has gone by, I finnaly got my hhkb pro 1 that i have been using for like 3-4 days now, I would say it feels more 'popping' than ibm 7953, and also like the clack is really something you can feel unlike ibm 7953, but I would say if you can get the ibm cheap, its definately worth it!

seebart

29 Mar 2015, 12:37

Like I always say it's all preference. If you like a $20 rubberdome as much or more that HHKB good for you. Certainly nothing wrong with that.

burn1nsun

29 Mar 2015, 13:15

Yeah I prefer the hhkb over the ibm because it has more clack and that was the only thing I liked about cherry mx switches, and its a lot smaller than the ibm and I dont have a lot of desk space.

seebart

29 Mar 2015, 13:27

burn1nsun wrote:Yeah I prefer the hhkb over the ibm because it has more clack and that was the only thing I liked about cherry mx switches, and its a lot smaller than the ibm and I dont have a lot of desk space.
well then there may be quite a few other keyboards you might like.

Muirium
µ

29 Mar 2015, 13:52

Better sell that HHKB while the lunatics like me still value them so irrationally…

@Seebart: Indeed. My least favourite MX feature! Right above "scratchy" on the list.

seebart

29 Mar 2015, 13:58

I tend to call the "scratch" on MX Brown's a bump which confuses people. The "scratch" does not make a sound like the click. Although on those mystery Clare Pendars of mine the scratch is almost hearable. That switch is an exception in my opinion though.

Anyone name this switch and impress us all:

burn1nsun

29 Mar 2015, 16:22

reedswitch?

seebart

29 Mar 2015, 16:32

burn1nsun wrote:reedswitch?
Yes possibly. I don't know myself. There are no markings on the switch. To be fair I have posted this before and no one knows so far. It looks quite like a Clare Pendar series switch. I was really only joking since I'm guessing I won't find out at all unless I get access to other similar switches for comparison. These photographic comparisons can be tough. Thanks anyway.

Here you go:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/can ... t9048.html

Return to “Keyboards”