Bottom case color for IBM Model F PC/XT

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

22 Apr 2015, 00:31

Okay, the metal bottom case part on my IBM Model F PC/XT was rusting in a few places, so I stripped away all the paint, removed the rust, and now I have bare metal. I would like to repaint the plate with a color as close to the original color as possible. Anybody has any idea what color would be a good match for the original color? Anyone? Anyone?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Apr 2015, 14:57

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

22 Apr 2015, 15:46

Redmaus wrote: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/rust

Am I doing it right?
Haha, yea that will work.

Sigmoid

22 Apr 2015, 15:47

I'd just take it to a car paint shop with the top case, and have them mix a color that matches that. Or you can just go with regular white, it's not like you'll be looking too much at the back plate. :)

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

22 Apr 2015, 17:20

Sigmoid wrote: I'd just take it to a car paint shop with the top case, and have them mix a color that matches that. Or you can just go with regular white, it's not like you'll be looking too much at the back plate. :)

You must not be aware of the long sessions that I spend examining the bottom parts of my keyboard. :mrgreen:

Actually, I feel dumb for starting this thread because I have multiple XT's and I will take the bottom part of a good keyboard to the paint store and go from there.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

22 Apr 2015, 17:44

I think the "rainbow" color of the inner plate would be a great color. Not sure how you would replicate it though.

Sigmoid

22 Apr 2015, 18:31

Redmaus wrote: I think the "rainbow" color of the inner plate would be a great color. Not sure how you would replicate it though.
I don't think you can replicate the look of polished metal by painting, but if you can get close, the guy to ask about it would definitely be a guy at a car paint shop.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

22 Apr 2015, 20:04

Redmaus wrote: I think the "rainbow" color of the inner plate would be a great color. Not sure how you would replicate it though.
Nope, I'll probably just go as boring and close to stock as possible.

Return to “Keyboards”