Previous keyboard is damaged, please help me with picking a new one!

apav

30 Jun 2015, 20:41

Hello friends,

I've had the K90 for almost 4 years now and unfortunately the other day I had my first spill. I bathed it in alcohol and blow dried it and while that fixed a lot of the keys that were no longer registering, unfortunately some keys are still not working (some keys in the row starting with the ` key, F6/F7 and Scroll Lock/Pause to be exact. they register two different keys when I press one down. For instance ` will register 1` and 1 will register 1`). I tried taking everything apart and swabbing it in alcohol/blow drying it again but it still isn't working so I fear it is permanent. Also, prying it off the plastic back and snapping it back in so I can test it a few times has caused a few pieces to break off (you had to be forceful to take it off and it was really stuck on there a few times), so the volume mute and windows lock button can no longer be pressed down. I think I may as well just get a new keyboard.

The question I'm wondering is, should I invest in another Corsair like the K70/K95 RGB, wait for the Ducky Shine 5 to be released or do you recommend another keyboard? Here are some of my preferences:

-Cherry MX Red has been great for me, but it is a little tiresome when typing, and while I loved the feel of the blues in my friend's CM Quickfire Rapid, I could see both the amount of resistance and loudness getting annoying for me. So this time I'm looking for Browns. Browns seem balanced and good for both gaming and typing.

-I love the media keys, mute button and especially the volume roller on my K90. Putting the media keys on a Function button is going to take some getting used to, so I prefer separate media keys and a volume knob/roller. I have yet to find another mechanical keyboards with separate media keys and a volume knob not tied to the function buttons.

-Customizable backlighting is a must. I would prefer RGB, but it isn't necessary as I don't see myself using it too much, but would like to have the option.

So far, I've looked at a few like the Ducky Shine 3/4 which lead me to the 5, and I loved my K90 which has led me to Corsair's latest offerings. A few questions about the Corsair keyboards though. I heard that Corsair's RGB software is buggy, though that isn't as important to me because I really won't be customizing the keys that much. If the Shine 5 allows you to customize the keys through the hardware, is that better than Corsair's implementation? Also I have heard many people say that Corsair's build quality is lackluster. How true is this? My K90 feels super sturdy being brushed aluminum, but I heard about Ducky's reputation for being built like tanks. AFAIK Ducky uses plastic, so wouldn't the Corsair win in this department? I'm sure the Ducky's switches are better though. The only downside is if I want to get the Shine 5 I might be waiting a while until it is released and sold here in the US right?

What do you guys think? Also, are there people that buy semi broken mechanical keyboards in not great shape? How much would it be worth in its current state, like $30 or $40? I counted 14 keys not working right, and the broken pieces and buttons that can't be pushed I mention earlier.

Thanks a lot guys :)

Return to “Keyboards”