The 8-key keyboard

elecplus

23 Jul 2015, 06:51

About the size of 2 packs of gum, magnetic, designed for Mac portable device users.
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/06/han ... -keyboard/
Due to production issues, not yet available.

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

23 Jul 2015, 09:54

That seems terrible :|

Ray

23 Jul 2015, 10:43

My guess is, it's better than on screen typing. So basically a shitty keyboard is better than no keyboard at all.
Depending on how natural it feels to hit the right “keys” it might be even pretty good for typing. But as a keyboard it doesn't have enough individual keys. There's no modifiers! How many layers does that thing have, and how long does it take to get used to them...?
Some things seem to be thought out licely on that thing, but it doesn't look like a product to me. But then apple made a lot of money with the first generation of their products that didn't look ready for market to me.

andrewjoy

23 Jul 2015, 10:56

Kill it with fire!

It looks like a keyboard they took out of a 90s phone!

on screen is fine for texts and stuff if the phone is big enough

jacobolus

23 Jul 2015, 11:37

This has been linked a few times here and at Geekhack. I think it looks pretty great, considering the small size package. It’s probably not going to stack up well against a full-size keyboard, but look how small it is! If they implement it well, I can imagine it being as nice as a chiclet laptop keyboard.

Unfortunately, one of their employees who was answering questions on their forum was a paranoid jerk, around the time they were trying to get pre-orders.

Muirium
µ

23 Jul 2015, 11:48

Going to be a hard sell, given the fact it's aimed at touchscreen users. It's not appealing to either side of me: the glass typist who honestly prefers the iPad to chiclet laptop boards, or the IBM and Topre snob! I'm not exactly mainstream, I know. But this looks classic "neither fish nor fowl" to me.

The iPad was too, when it launched. So that's not always doom. Yet it often is.

zuglufttier

23 Jul 2015, 12:12

I think, it's a pretty good idea. I've thought a lot about these input problems but never came up with a good solution... This may not be a perfect solution but a nice start. Some years from now I guess that a company like Apple or Microsoft will come up with a better solution. Once it get's sold with popular devices, the users will adapt to it and start preferring it ;)

There's no other reason why Microsoft Windows became so popular!

Return to “Keyboards”