SSK - 8 months on and still in love

POTV

06 Sep 2015, 12:23

Beside my SSK's I have some NIB Model M's, full size. The key travel on the "new" ones are incredibly light, while some of the keys on the SSK's are a little bit sticky / does not have the same easy movement.

Is there an easy way to fix this stickyness, or are the keyboards just aging?

shreebles
Finally 60%

07 Sep 2015, 16:06

I felt exactly the same way! While it improved a bit with a screw mod (similar to nut-and-bolt mod) the biggest difference for me was using the two-piece caps of the M instead of the single-piece SSK caps! Sounds silly but it seemed a huge improvement for me.

chzel

07 Sep 2015, 16:09

POTV wrote: Is there an easy way to fix this stickyness, or are the keyboards just aging?
It might be just wear and tear on the barrels or the keys.
My "used and abused" SSK is a bit stiffer than the NIB even after tuning the screw mod, but the NIB is missing about half it's rivets, so that might have something to do!

shreebles
Finally 60%

07 Sep 2015, 16:12

No rivets missing on my M, and it typed more lightly than my SSK. After changing the caps from the M to the SSK, not so much. Have you tried the two-piece caps on the SSK?

chzel

07 Sep 2015, 21:05

Both my SSKs have 2 piece caps, so I'd say it's a fair comparison!

shreebles
Finally 60%

07 Sep 2015, 22:13

chzel wrote: Both my SSKs have 2 piece caps, so I'd say it's a fair comparison!
I'm inclined to agree! Damn! And I thought I had the secret figured out.
Perhaps the springs oxidize and become stiffer with age?
The older ones certainly have a grey coat on them. How about this, soak them in something that takes off the rust, let them dry, ta-daa, like new?

POTV

07 Sep 2015, 22:16

All my Model M's have two piece key caps, so I guess the small amount of stickyness on some of the used SSK's is caused by wear and tear. I must live with that ;-)

chzel

07 Sep 2015, 22:57

shreebles wrote:
chzel wrote: Both my SSKs have 2 piece caps, so I'd say it's a fair comparison!
I'm inclined to agree! Damn! And I thought I had the secret figured out.
Perhaps the springs oxidize and become stiffer with age?
The older ones certainly have a grey coat on them. How about this, soak them in something that takes off the rust, let them dry, ta-daa, like new?
I don't think the "problem" lies with the springs, I think it is due to increased friction between the cap stem and the barrel.
None of my Ms or even Fs have even a hint of corrossion on the springs.

hammelgammler
Vintage

07 Sep 2015, 23:04

I realized something like that with a Model F. When using rather dirty keycaps/stems, it's scratchy has hell! But when i use a cleaned keycap, then it's a LOT smoother. I think it's because of the friction of the cap steam and barrel like chzel said.

Maybe it will be even smoother when every barrel get's cleaned too, maybe I will do that tomorrow.

Return to “Keyboards”