Model M - UK ISO

ShivaYash

02 Sep 2015, 20:46

Just bagged a mint ISO layout model M for £20. Utterly delighted. It's a 1990 model with a grey label. A shame it doesn't have a proper birth certificate but a crappy thermal label on the back side.

ShivaYash

02 Sep 2015, 21:42

Does anyone happen to know if on older Model Ms, the ones with single piece caps for example, should the F and J keys be the same, or are they two-piece, perhaps to accommodate the raised bottom edge indicating 'home keys'?

Ta.

PS. And apols for gloating... but its a great feeling to bag a bargain.

Muirium
µ

02 Sep 2015, 22:12

Should be all single piece caps across the board. IBM migrated to two-piece caps for some other reason (surely some way to reduce costs, knowing them) and so you'll find there's nothing special about F and J. Indeed, even late IBMs and Unicomp today use single piece caps for the larger mods like Shift.

ShivaYash

02 Sep 2015, 22:18

Muirium wrote: Should be all single piece caps across the board. IBM migrated to two-piece caps for some other reason (surely some way to reduce costs, knowing them) and so you'll find there's nothing special about F and J. Indeed, even late IBMs and Unicomp today use single piece caps for the larger mods like Shift.
Ta Mu, I did find it strange. Additionally, the feeling of the full size beast is rather different to the dinky SSK. It feels more tinny and somehow 'lighter' in touch. Still bloody nice to type on and I'd forgotten how nice the ISO layout can be. There is a distinct rattle from the space bar but it seems to be seated properly. The rivets are perfect, not one single breakage in all these years. Just given the external casing a good old wash under the tap and it has come out like new. I suspect this was a home user board given the condition. The chap who sold it to me knew what it was and said it had belonged to a friend since new and was gathering dust in her attic. He was gifted it and washed all the keys before starting to use it at work. His RSI means he can no longer use it sadly.

If Mu or anyone else knows how to cure the tinny sound, especially from the space bar, I'd be pleased to know. Will make a short video and upload at the weekend. Perhaps this is how my SSK should sound!

Night.

Muirium
µ

02 Sep 2015, 22:23

The loudness in spacebars is due to the stabilser. You might want to grease the wire where it meets the plastic. I've not tried it, but that's the kind of trick people often use.

Don't worry about gloating. I mean, I'm the one with the new in box SSK

ShivaYash

02 Sep 2015, 22:23

Just one more thing... are the feet replaceable? The right had a nice snap as expected but the left is lame.

Muirium
µ

02 Sep 2015, 22:25

Good question. I don't know what makes them tick. You've been inside this board already, see anything accessible to take apart?

ShivaYash

02 Sep 2015, 22:26

Muirium wrote: The loudness in spacebars is due to the stabilser. You might want to grease the wire where it meets the plastic. I've not tried it, but that's the kind of trick people often use.

Don't worry about gloating. I mean, I'm the one with the new in box SSK
Indeed... new SSK in the box! How bloody annoying! Its like having a nice car though. I drive an old Mercedes-Benz. A pal of mine has a similar era car, in MINT/ showroom condition. Its a shame as he never drives the damn thing. Whilst my example is a fine car, its in weekly use and gets comments most places we go, usually from old chaps who like poking around engine bays. Whilst my pal's example is MINT, this burden comes at a cost, and he can't enjoy it. What you say Mu? ;-) But I know you have a few SSKs stashed away, lucky dog!

ShivaYash

02 Sep 2015, 22:27

Muirium wrote: Good question. I don't know what makes them tick. You've been inside this board already, see anything accessible to take apart?
I've closed her up for the night, I never use them but just wondered. Will take a look again when I clean out the barrels with cotton buds and soapy water. Will also try your trick re the space bar.

ShivaYash

08 Sep 2015, 15:37

The SSK has been banished... in place of the full sized beast. Its like and nice to have a change...
L1000002.jpg
L1000002.jpg (409.18 KiB) Viewed 1598 times

shreebles
Finally 60%

08 Sep 2015, 16:07

Well... That's the first time I hear something like that!
Then again I am unable to cope with full-size. If you have the room then I guess enjoy!

Return to “Keyboards”