Bad desoldering job

manna

25 Sep 2015, 19:41

Hello everyone!

As you can see in this picture https://imgur.com/YQebFd1, I tried to remove the solder from the led holes on a Poker 2 pcb, ending with a bad job.
Is there any way I can took off the remaining solder without risking to ruin the contacts?

Thanks.

ne0phyte
Toast.

25 Sep 2015, 19:44

You're looking for some desoldering wick or a desoldering pump.
Don't stick the soldering iron in there any longer hoping to get it out :P

manna

25 Sep 2015, 20:09

The problem is that the soldering iron tip is too big.
I used the pump but still managed to screw up. Maybe a dremel with a fine tip?

chzel

25 Sep 2015, 20:26

Just add to the solder and then use the pump again. Pumps seem to work better with a bigger solder blob.
Heat is your enemy, if you are heating the pads for more than 5-10 seconds, stop, let the board cool thoroughly and try again.
You can try to poke a steel wire/needle though the hole while the solder is liquid. The solder will not stick to the steel and hopefully it will clear the hole.

manna

25 Sep 2015, 20:35

I'll try that, thanks!

andrewjoy

25 Sep 2015, 20:43

wick + flux and you are good.

One warning DO NOT RUB THE WICK OVER THE PAD! If you do you will lift the pad, dabbing it is your best bet.

When you re solder , do yourself a favour and get proper rosin flux 60/40 solder , none of this lead free rubbish.

shreebles
Finally 60%

26 Sep 2015, 11:59

Seeing as that is a small hole, why not a pump andrewjoy? Even the cheap ones work well for me.

andrewjoy

26 Sep 2015, 12:14

i find they are better on larger components, you could add more solder and use the pump again , but to get the pads 100% clean wick is the best option

Return to “Keyboards”