Found a bunch of Cherries

Chyros

29 Sep 2015, 18:40

Found this at the recycling centre today: 8 Cherry boards. 7 are G80-11906, 1 is 11900 (see if you can spot which one :P ). All are LPMGB (lasered PBT caps, MX black). They're also all missing their cables unfortunately, and some are missing some caps.

I'll probably keep one for myself for my collection, but the rest I'm not too sure about xD . Anyone know if there is an interest for this sort of thing? Maybe the caps or something?

scottc

29 Sep 2015, 23:52

Nice, very nice! The keycaps aren't worth diddly squit unfortunately: they're thin, lasered PBT so nobody really likes them. They probably have MX Brown or MX Black switches though, which are good enough to keep the board for or even salvage if you're not into the funky layout.

As for fixing them, you'll easily be able to nag a member for a pinout so I'm sure you'll be able to sort them out in no time.

I'd also seen a few people mod 11900s into interesting layouts with great effect! Apparently the numpad is quite detachable, with a bit of care.

Not sure which is the lone 11900 though! They all look pretty similar to me... The bottom-left has a slightly more faded logo, maybe that one?

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

30 Sep 2015, 00:02

Wow, nice. Don't like ISO or browns though.

andrewjoy

30 Sep 2015, 00:25

scottc wrote: The keycaps aren't worth diddly squit unfortunately

Prefer laserd PBT over printed abs any day :)

the odd one out is bottom left

Muirium
µ

30 Sep 2015, 00:45

My one and only Cherry board has thin lasered caps. They're okay, but no better than that.

Anyway, quite a nice heavy find, Chyros. These are about as close to TKL as Cherry made (beside the unobtainium MX5000). Too big for my liking, though. But a reasonable starter for anyone wanting to try their first MX.

photekq
Cherry Picker

30 Sep 2015, 00:54

Muirium wrote: (beside the unobtainium MX5000)
They're not even that hard to find if you'll settle for ISO..

I should have my 4th fairly soon :roll:

Chyros

30 Sep 2015, 01:46

scottc wrote: They probably have MX Brown or MX Black switches though, which are good enough to keep the board for or even salvage if you're not into the funky layout.
Yeah, MX Black, all of them. Apparently all 11900s came with blacks. Not the greatest fan of blacks myself, but some spare switches never hurt I guess. I'm thinking I'll sell the rest for a small amount of money, £5 per board or keycap set or something.
As for fixing them, you'll easily be able to nag a member for a pinout so I'm sure you'll be able to sort them out in no time.
Yeah, my Focus 2002 needs a new cable as well so I'll have to open a "help me find out how to put a new cable in" topic soon xD .
Not sure which is the lone 11900 though! They all look pretty similar to me... The bottom-left has a slightly more faded logo, maybe that one?
the odd one out is bottom left
Correct, it's the bottom left one! Apparently it's because of the more modern windows logo :) .

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

30 Sep 2015, 01:48

photekq wrote:
Muirium wrote: (beside the unobtainium MX5000)
They're not even that hard to find if you'll settle for ISO have money
FTFY

Muirium
µ

30 Sep 2015, 02:28

Tada.

HzFaq

30 Sep 2015, 09:54

I really like these boards, I've had a few in my time. One got cut down to a TKL board (IIRC you can just hacksaw down inbetween the 147 and 258 columns on the numpad and you don't even need to rewire) and then lost somewhere, the other few were killed for their juicy parts.

I wouldn't mind a bottom row (or full set of caps if you don't want to get into splitting silliness) if you're going to be selling them. I have a spare FK-2001 PS2 cable as well if you want to do a trade :D.

Chyros

30 Sep 2015, 10:07

HzFaq wrote: I really like these boards, I've had a few in my time. One got cut down to a TKL board (IIRC you can just hacksaw down inbetween the 147 and 258 columns on the numpad and you don't even need to rewire) and then lost somewhere, the other few were killed for their juicy parts.

I wouldn't mind a bottom row (or full set of caps if you don't want to get into splitting silliness) if you're going to be selling them. I have a spare FK-2001 PS2 cable as well if you want to do a trade :D.
I'll send you a bottom row if you want, I still owe you one, I figure ;) .

Return to “Keyboards”