Thoughts on Futaba clicky switches?

keycap

20 Nov 2015, 21:58

I've personally never tried these and I'm curious as to how they feel and sound. I've heard that they're extremely ping-y and high pitched, but that's all I know about them.

Engicoder

20 Nov 2015, 22:18

I have a Focus FK-8000 with Futaba MX mount clicky switches. Here is what I said about them earlier:
They are an odd switch. Tactile on the way down and clicky on the way up. They have a metallic click on release that reverberates quite a bit as the metal diaphragm returns to original shape. Very odd to have the click on release. It reminds me a lot of my ITT keyboard with Microswitch metal diaphragm switches. The noise is similar, but the ITT made the noise on both press and release. There is a very muffled click on press, but is drowned out by the release noise.

Touch_It

20 Nov 2015, 22:27

So, I have one and have used it as a daily driver. Fun switch for sure, but its certainly not for everyone. If you ever get a chance to try one or buy one reasonably, I would take it if you like clicky switches. Certainly a unique switch.

maxmalkav
dye hard

20 Nov 2015, 23:12

Engicoder wrote: I have a Focus FK-8000 with Futaba MX mount clicky switches. Here is what I said about them earlier:
They are an odd switch. Tactile on the way down and clicky on the way up. They have a metallic click on release that reverberates quite a bit as the metal diaphragm returns to original shape. Very odd to have the click on release. It reminds me a lot of my ITT keyboard with Microswitch metal diaphragm switches. The noise is similar, but the ITT made the noise on both press and release. There is a very muffled click on press, but is drowned out by the release noise.
I got one Futaba board for cheap and my first (and only) impression was quite similar (so I assume we are talking about the same switch), I was not quite impressed. On the other hand other kind of "exotic" switches (NMB space invacers!) made an impression on me.

Return to “Keyboards”