CM Novatouch -- 3rd Time is a Charm!

Hypersphere

14 Dec 2015, 02:12

Recently, I acquired my third CM Novatouch -- a Barebones version through Massdrop. Given that many people immediately put new keycaps on the Novatouch, it would be a good thing if CM would make Barebones a standard discounted option available through regular outlets, such as Amazon.

In any event, today I installed Silencing Rings and put on a set of Ducky dye-sublimated cream & green PBT keycaps. These caps are OEM profile, which virtually eliminates bottoming-out noise on the Novatouch. When I install Silencing Rings, I lube the stabilizers as well. However, this time, I decided to lube all the switches. On both the stabilizers and the switches, I used Superlube 51010 Oil with PTFE. On the switches, I used a small pointed paintbrush to apply the oil to the slider rails and not to the cylindrical part of the slider.

The good news is that this is the quietest Novatouch I have experienced to date. My first two Novatouch jobs still had some noticeable stabilizer noise and a few keys with a bit of a click. Unfortunately, I do not know the cause of the previous residual noise or the current lack of noise. My recent success might be due at least in part to experience or the fact that this time I lubed all the switches in addition to the stabilizers. However, it might also be due to improvements in the Novatouch itself. I noticed that the model number had changed. My previous NTs were Model Number SGK-5000-GKCT1-US, whereas this latest board is Model Number SGK-5000-GKCT2-US.

Does anyone here know the significance of the NT model numbers? It is possible that the later model number is associated with some improvements that CM incorporated into the board. Alternatively, perhaps they have assigned a different model number to the Barebones version.

Whatever the reasons might be for the improved sound, I am greatly pleased with this latest Novatouch. It is buttery smooth and quiet, and of course with its mx-compatible stems, there are more keycap options than one has with a standard Topre board. However, on this last point, I have found that to avoid bottoming-out noise, it is best to use OEM profile, which limits keycap choices quite a lot.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

14 Dec 2015, 15:07

Hi Hypershere,

Like in the other thread, the itemcode is indeed because of the barebones version. The product itself should be identical (excluding keycaps ofcourse, as the barebones is without). The barebones as you noticed also comes in a brown box vs the standard box the NovaTouch TKL comes in.

However, I am quite interested to read that you think you notice some differences between this model and the previous 2 version? (Why do you have 3 btw :mrgreen:?)

Hypersphere

14 Dec 2015, 15:33

@CM Bram: Thank you for your response and clearing up the mystery of the changing model number. There was definitely one objective revision that occurred after my first NT. The first one had the micro-USB connector upside down relative to the later two. In addition, this latest one just seems "tighter" with no noticeable differences in the fit of the stems within the switch housings across the board or the fit of the keycaps to the stems. Regarding multiples, I do this for at least two reasons. First, I have two computer stations at work and one at home, and I like to populate each one with keyboards in my rotation. Second, after I try out various keyboards and do modifications to improve them in some ways, I intend to put at least some of them up for sale. However, it will be difficult for me to part with any of the NTs, as they provide an excellent typing experience. I hope that CM might come out with a 60% board with Topre switches and mx stems.

gogusrl

14 Dec 2015, 16:30

CM Bram, is there any way to buy a barebone ansi novatouch in the EU ? Having to pay shipping + taxes ruins everything :)

ImbaHue

14 Dec 2015, 16:39

@gogusrl,

There is a Novatouch from here: http://www.cmstore.eu/

It came out cheaper compared to KeyboardCo's pricing but not sure if tax is still payable once shipped.

@CM Bram, can you verify?

-ImbaHue

Laser
emacs -nw

14 Dec 2015, 17:38

Yeah, I already pointed that link to him :)

I wouldn't mind a not-expensive barebone ansi novatouch "meself" either ...

zslane

14 Dec 2015, 19:06

And I'm still waiting (and hoping) for a full ANSI 104 NovaTouch with silenced switches. And if it came in both black and (off-)white, I'd buy two of each!

bitslasher

16 Dec 2015, 06:14

Here here for a full size nova touch. Don't Cooler Master folks lurk here? Where is the full sized nova touch????

Dan

16 Dec 2015, 13:47

What about that 60% NovaTouch that was rumored a few months ago? :(

E3E

16 Dec 2015, 14:19

Man, if I could ever get a hold of something Topre for cheap, I'd love to try it one of these days.

Hypersphere

16 Dec 2015, 14:43

Genuine Topre does not come cheap. On the other hand, products such as the Realforce 87U and the HHKB Pro 2 have some of the best out-of-the-box combinations of switches and keycaps in the industry, which could lessen the overall cost of ownership. In addition, products like the CM Novatouch enable one to use keycaps across the spectrum of quality and expense, and the universe of mx-mount keycaps is quite large and varied.

codemonkeymike

16 Dec 2015, 15:08

It is also not impossible to see a 100$ CM Novatouch come on the market (In the US that is). Its just going to be "well loved" by someone else. I too am hoping to at least try one out as well. Maybe if a keyboard meetup ever comes to North East US.

E3E

16 Dec 2015, 15:22

Yeah, I just have my head in the clouds that I can find one used somewhere cheaply so I can at least try it without regretting the purchase if I dislike it (now, now, E3E, you're neglecting the easy aftermarket selling viability). I know I'll never be as lucky as that one guy who found an HHKB for like $5 at a fleamarket, but I can dream~

I actually have dreamt about Topre a few times, lol.

derzemel

16 Dec 2015, 15:28

I just got my second one too (and 3rd overall) :D

ANSI this time:

Sadly I had to sell one of the 2 ISO ones I first got, but it was for a good cause: I bought winter wheels for my car with the money from it :lol:

I think I'll have to ask Muirium for to bring me one more set of those magic rings that you have :P

t!ng
Awake Sheep

16 Dec 2015, 17:22

@ CM Bram:

How about a dampened 55g version?

andrewjoy

16 Dec 2015, 17:23

t!ng wrote: @ CM Bram:

How about a dampened 55g version?
http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/h ... 11938.html

Hypersphere

16 Dec 2015, 18:29

I put 55g domes and silencing rings in my first Novatouch, but I find it difficult to distinguish it from my most recent Novatouch with stock 45g domes and my silencing rings. If anything, I think I prefer the 45g silenced version. Of course, others may prefer 55g silenced or unsilenced.

The same goes for the HHKB Pro 2. I have one with 55g domes and silencing rings, but I have come to prefer the 45g with silencing rings. Oddly enough, I prefer my DIY-silenced HHKB over my factory-made Type-S, but this may be due in part to the fact that I prefer the black version of the HHKB and the Type-S is available only in white.

Hypersphere

20 Dec 2015, 17:21

Dan wrote: What about that 60% NovaTouch that was rumored a few months ago? :(
It would be great if CM would produce a 60% version of the Novatouch. I think it would sell very well. My own favorite form factors are 60% and TKL, but I spend most of my time on 60% boards. I have tried many varieties of in-between keyboards, but I have not liked any of them. If CM were to introduce a 60% Novatouch, I would definitely buy one.

courtesi

23 Dec 2015, 16:00

A question I'd like to ask Coolermasters representatives is this:

What is the hold up on the 30g or 55g options? This was mentioned at the very beginning of the Novatouch release and still nothing. Perhaps they can explain why they can't sell the domes for letting end users "roll their own"?

After all they seem to cater to the modding crowd, and this would also help cut down on SKU's.

Muirium
µ

23 Dec 2015, 16:21

I suspect the holdup is Topre. And CM isn't allowed to talk about it.

Those domes are Topre made. They are the special sauce that sets Topre's stuff aside from nasty Noppoo, and indeed cheapo rubberdome boards in general. Topre is understandably protective of them. And Topre is Japanese, which means you can expect next to zero communication from them anyway, even on matters of less significance.

Whether CM gets different dome weights is entirely up to Topre. Ditto the damping issue we're all working around with our own rings. I'm sure it's very frustrating for CM to have to play dumb, but what else can they do?

courtesi

23 Dec 2015, 16:41

Muirium wrote: I suspect the holdup is Topre. And CM isn't allowed to talk about it.

Those domes are Topre made. They are the special sauce that sets Topre's stuff aside from nasty Noppoo, and indeed cheapo rubberdome boards in general. Topre is understandably protective of them. And Topre is Japanese, which means you can expect next to zero communication from them anyway, even on matters of less significance.

Whether CM gets different dome weights is entirely up to Topre. Ditto the damping issue we're all working around with our own rings. I'm sure it's very frustrating for CM to have to play dumb, but what else can they do?
Wow that almost sounded like you were talking about Unicomp :evilgeek:

Hypersphere

23 Dec 2015, 18:09

It's time for an update to a Thomas Hardy classic that we might call "Far From the Modding Crowd".

All seriousness aside, companies generally do need or feel the need to keep things secret until a product actually launches. No doubt CM has seen our pleas for such things as heavier or lighter domes, built-in damping, and different form factors, but they have their own reasons for incorporating or not incorporating such features into new products. Inevitably they will omit something we crave, which keeps the art and science of modding alive.

As for me, I would love to see a 60% form factor Novatouch. If they were to do that, I could live without built-in damping or 55g domes. It would be far easier to DIY these features than to build a 60% NT or to transfer NT sliders and stabilizers into a HHKB.

IKSLM

19 May 2016, 13:19

Soooooooo..... any news about the 30g option?
(sorry for spamming this thread, but 30gs we already mentioned here...)

Topre Enthusiast

19 May 2016, 13:23

Computex is coming up at the end of this month. Topre and Cooler Master will both be there, so maybe they will reveal something interesting.

derzemel

19 May 2016, 13:26

002 wrote: Computex is coming up at the end of this month. Topre and Cooler Master will both be there, so maybe they will reveal something interesting.
Most probably CM will have a Topre full size. The "smaller than TKL" market is probably too small to take note of.
Edit: I will not be surprised if the will have a backlit version of a topre board and maybe a silenced one.

andrewjoy

19 May 2016, 14:15

The CM is crying out for a dampend version due to its insane rattle

Topre Enthusiast

19 May 2016, 14:19

Are they that bad with the rattling? Trev recently got his hands on one and is rapt with it.

andrewjoy

19 May 2016, 14:32

not terrible if you put some decent caps on it , but still annoying

derzemel

19 May 2016, 14:35

I have ISO and ANSI
The ISO one rattles quite a bit more than the ANSI one, especially the spacebar. Both of them rattle more than the FC660C
I do not know if it is because of the switches, kyecaps, or something else. I haven't opened them to see if there are differences inside.
On the ansi I have a GMK doubleshot keyset and on the ISO I have a Cherry Doubleshot keyset. I will try it with PBT keycaps too, but I do not think it will affect the rattling that much

need

19 May 2016, 14:51

I did a ironing-out silencing mod with my ISO one, and the rattling stops completely.
I used 1.5mm polyethylene foam sheet, and turn it into an extremely thin and resilience sheet.

The stabilized keys such as the backspace and big ass enter still rattle quite a bit, I guess it's because I didn't put any around the stabilizing stems.

It's a really tediously time consuming process.

@derzemel I have always wanted to know what is it that makes the out-of-the-box Novatouch inferior to other Topre, it would be great if you could take a look inside both, and perhaps make a comparison post ?

Return to “Keyboards”