94-key AT variant (under construction)

AndyJ

16 Mar 2024, 03:34

keyboard.jpg
keyboard.jpg (70.22 KiB) Viewed 4140 times
I've had hours of entertainment playing with keyboard-layout-editor.com.

This is my latest 94-key variant of the 84-key AT layout, based on the taylorswifttttt circuit board (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=28241), an xwhatsit, and modification of the AT's lower row to accomodate the moved and extra switch barrels. Unicomp can make all the keycaps except for the top row function keys, where I'd have to use stick-on decals for the front labels. I found those on Amazon.

Assuming the xwhatsit is programmable for what I want, this is today's layout, based on my day-to-day keyboard usage.

The taylorswifttttt circuit board adds three keys on the bottom row. The split shifts, Enter, two 101-key-style Alt keys, and rearranged right column are all present on the original IBM circuit board, though you have to do some metal and plastic work to add barrels and flippers to make use of them.

First, the function keys default to various control-key macros, with one of the two extra Fn modifier keys shifting them to their original mode. I use control-S,C,V,and X extensively all day; the only function key I use more than once every week or two is F2.

The Alt key remains in its original position, with the "Alt-Meta" label as a reminder for programs that refer to the Alt key as "meta."

Next on the bottom row are the two Fn keys; one positioned for easy usage of the function key pad, the other for the cursor key pad. Either could be used for the top row. Fn would also toggle the Delete key to Insert. The only time I ever use Insert is when I accidentally get into some overstrike editing mode somehow and need Insert to get back out. The Shift key isn't used because Shift-Del is a command in some programs.

The bottom-row Backspace comes from the Colemak geeks. It's in an ideal position for my left thumb.

Next comes the Code key, stolen from a Wheelwriter. I have one on hand. The Wheelwriter uses it for essentially the same thing as right alt, or Alt-Gr on European keyboards. It's basically just a spiff key; but "some day" I'll learn some useful alt-codes for alternate characters. The 84-key board has no right alt key, and I never used right alt on any of the later keyboards, so I won't miss right alt.

Short Unicomp space bar to match the taylorswifttttt circuit board layout. Most of my space bar use is on my right hand, so the asymmetric layout isn't a problem.

Right Fn and Control. I use Control+ and Control- extensively with web browsers, adjusting font sizes; I've had the old AT CapsLock key mapped to Control for a year and a half now.

Memx - Memex - is a hotkey for a help/knowlege manager/search utility I'm working on. Shifted, it plays keyboard macros.

The giant + key is now an Enter key. I use that more often than the main Enter. Karate-chopping Enter was the only thing I really liked about the 101-key keyboards.

Somehow, I wound up with an unused key. "This key purposely left blank."

--

Row 2, from the bottom up, has split Shift keys. I almost never use the right Shift, but I only struck it on the right side anyway. (I put some paper tape on various keys, and watched how the tape got dirty after weeks of use). It took a while to get used to the split left Shift; apparently I also hit it on the right side most of the time. With my thumb. It took me an absurd amount of time to get used to hitting it with my pinky. Oddly, the older XT layout had a 1.25u left Shift with a 1u top. I used one of those keyboards for a couple of years and don't remember having any problem with it. Harrumph.

The two extra keys are OS keys (X, Win, or Cmd), Super, and Hyper. I've never used any of those before, and might switch them around a bit.

--

Row 3 breaks the Big-Ass Enter into three keys, as there are three barrels under it. A 1u Menu key, for programs that use it, and a 1.25u Enter. I liked the BAE just fine, and the horizonal ANSI as well. Never had much use for the tall ISO Enter. I tried the 1.25u Enter for a lark, and found out I didn't mind it. Note the keycap on tap of the 3u-tall XT Enter is only 1u.

--

Row 4 swaps Backspace and |,\ like some Colemak layouts. I haven't actually used that yet, but it's easy to swap back and forth. Backspace just above Enter is minimum finger travel, but the top right corner is premium keyboard real estate and easy to hit from the top or the right.

--

Row 6 has Escape moved to the upper left, 101-key style. ~,` and |,\ are moved, and F11-F24 front legends added to the white keys.

--

I've always used the cursor pad as a cursor pad, as IBM intended - that's why NumLock is shifted on real IBMs. Unshifted, it has arrows, PgUp, and PgDn per default. '-' and '+' move up to allow the 2u Enter to be added on the bottom right.

The cursor keys are somewhat complex. The default nine keys work as you'd expect, left/right, up/down, PgUp/PgDn, Home/End.

Holding either Fn key down (right thumb by default) moves the mouse cursor left/right, up/down, and diagonally.

Holding either Shift key down moves the viewport instead of the cursor, for programs that support that.

For an interval, say 1 to 2 seconds, after moving the cursor, the '*', '-', and '+' keys act as mouse buttons.

Trying to explain this, I just realized that there are *two* cursors on a GUI desktop; the original character-mode cursor, that's in menu selections and text blocks, and the mouse cursor, which moves anywhere. Well, DUH. The modifiers control which cursor the arrow keys move.

The top row, in red, are the media keys. Mute gets the prime spot on the corner. Defaults for the others are Pause, Fast Forward, and Vol-. Any modifier works for Play, Reverse, and Vol+.

--

Tapping both Shift keys at the same time goes into CapsLock mode. Fn-N to toggle NumLock and Fn-S for ScrollLock.

--

Like I said, I'm not sure if the xwhatsit will support all that. If it won't, I'll see about cobbling up an inline USB-to-USB convertor somehow.

Return to “Keyboards”