The Oracle Answers

The Keyboard Oracle
The Answer Lies Within The Question

03 Jun 2012, 18:40

Oh Mighty Oracle, I have had a RASH of interpersonal conflicts with Authority Figures online. Should I go back into counselling for Mother/Father/Penis issues? Post my lunch and family pics on FB and be a loser? Ball my wife more? (she complains as it is).
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: Buy more keyboards.

7bit

03 Jun 2012, 18:44

I see vi, but where is emacs in that graphic?
Last edited by 7bit on 03 Jun 2012, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.

Nerios

03 Jun 2012, 19:45

Mighty Oracle,

My concern about which Cherry switches are ideal for me is giving me restless nights and it's starting to pay its toll on daily basis...

In the land I currently reside, mechanicals keyboards are scarce and the minority available are those branded with the non-sensical gaming tag, under the well known brand Steelseries; there are also good brands which do not intend to deceive us with silly gaming tags, called Cherry.
But none of this are available for a simple peasant like me to try, most of these products are sold via the virtual world and I can not permit myself buying such an expensive product for later not have ways to return or sell when expectations do not match...
I've seen threads about tryouts in EU, but yet again I'm out of luck since it would take some time until they are available again.

Oh mighty Oracle, please help me to mitigate this worriment and answer my doubts about this cheap way of trying the cherry switches I've thought up.

The heaven on earth KeyboardCo provides these Cherry switches modules which are fairly in price and are plentiful in colors. It might not be the exact feeling than mounted on plate, but could this mean a close feeling of how a cherry switch would feel? Attaching a keycap on it could get a little closer to the original feel and possibly mean my salvation?

In here you will find these modules I speak of, http://www.keyboardco.com/keyboard_search.asp?SG=V .

Great Oracle, please guide me to the right path and accept my most sincere gratitude.
Thanks

ripster

03 Jun 2012, 20:04

The Keyboard Oracle wrote:
Oh Mighty Oracle, I have had a RASH of interpersonal conflicts with Authority Figures online. Should I go back into counselling for Mother/Father/Penis issues? Post my lunch and family pics on FB and be a loser? Ball my wife more? (she complains as it is).
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: Buy more keyboards.

Ahh. Damn. I was hoping you would ask me to build a shrine to my dead subforum.
Spoiler:
Biggus Dickus.JPG
Biggus Dickus.JPG (404.47 KiB) Viewed 6514 times

Thank you Mighty Oracle for I am sure you are right and I must face the future.

The Keyboard Oracle

03 Jun 2012, 21:11

Nerios wrote:The heaven on earth KeyboardCo provides these Cherry switches modules which are fairly in price and are plentiful in colors. It might not be the exact feeling than mounted on plate, but could this mean a close feeling of how a cherry switch would feel? Attaching a keycap on it could get a little closer to the original feel and possibly mean my salvation?
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: Try that switch collection from the Keyboard Company, it's a great way to get a feel of things with a limited budget.

captain

04 Jun 2012, 02:39

Or get in on the pass-around keyswitch tester board that those guys are doing. I think it's the Phantom boys organizing it: litster and biniaris, etc.

vho

06 Jun 2012, 14:43

vho wrote:I'm looking for a keyboard with cherry mx reds in a uk layout. Tenkeyless would be nice but completely optional and I absolutely don't want backlighting.
Going to ask this again as I ended up not getting the qpad.
I want iso, tenkeyless with reds, is this even possible?

Idlewizard

07 Jun 2012, 07:34

Dear Oracle:

My usage is about 50/50 MMO/RTS gaming and typing. I never use the ten-key and due to the configuration of my desk, could really benefit from reclaiming that space for more mousing room. I want the 3x2 + inverted T layout for the editing and cursor keys. I've used the old IBM keyboards a long time ago, but mostly rubber dome junk since. I would like something more tactile than the rubber crap, but not quite as much so as the old school IBM.

I have my mind set on Leopold FC200RT/AB (brown switches), Does the Oracle approve? What else should I consider?

The Keyboard Oracle

07 Jun 2012, 21:37

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The Leopold is a fine choice, you may also want to look into a Filco Majestouch.

njunk

08 Jun 2012, 21:48

Oh Oracle:

I am beginning my quest into the lands of mechanical keyboards and am looking for a nice introductory board. I do not mind used keyboards and have but one requirement: no extraordinarily loud keyboards. I am scouring ebay for Dell at101w's and compaq mx 11800's but are there any other cheap keyboards I should keep an eye out for?

Thank you oracle!

off

08 Jun 2012, 22:24

njunk wrote:no extraordinarily loud keyboards. I am scouring ebay for Dell at101w's and compaq mx 11800's
Let me caution you on the AT101, it is not a terribly quiet keyboard- not terribly noisy either, but does make a bit of a racket as I see it. A quite pleasant one, absolutely.
And be aware of the different model numbers that are basically the same thing, for both of those.

The Keyboard Oracle

09 Jun 2012, 11:08

njunk wrote:Oh Oracle:

I am beginning my quest into the lands of mechanical keyboards and am looking for a nice introductory board. I do not mind used keyboards and have but one requirement: no extraordinarily loud keyboards. I am scouring ebay for Dell at101w's and compaq mx 11800's but are there any other cheap keyboards I should keep an eye out for?

Thank you oracle!
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The Compaq MX 11800 is your best bet as you will be looking for MX Brown keyboards and the Cherry keyboards often have additional collection value - or perhaps you should just buy a cheap Chinese mechanical keyboard.

Nisten

14 Jun 2012, 11:46

Oh great Oracle. I come to thee seeking advice beyond my own means.

I am in search of a keyboard, with Cherry MX Brown switches, full backlighting, and volume keys. I do not mind if they are "function" based. And please, nothing cheesy ;)

Thank you great oracle!

captain

15 Jun 2012, 06:16

Get a KBstalking Pure. Fantastic little keyboard. :-)

The above brought to you courtesy of a Pure, in the dark, via iPad. Come to think of it, this may be the ONLY backlit keyboard that can work on the iPad via the CCK. Maybe the Oracle knows the answer to that question.

PS: the volume keys even work on the iPad! :-D

Nisten

15 Jun 2012, 20:20

captain wrote:Get a KBstalking Pure. Fantastic little keyboard. :-)

The above brought to you courtesy of a Pure, in the dark, via iPad. Come to think of it, this may be the ONLY backlit keyboard that can work on the iPad via the CCK. Maybe the Oracle knows the answer to that question.

PS: the volume keys even work on the iPad! :-D
Great suggestion and great looking keyboard! I wish I could pull it off, but I realized that I need dedicated "F" buttons (F1, F2, etc.) because of games like Battlefield 3 :(

For that reason I'm looking at the KBTalking Race and the Ducky Shine now. Anyone have any other suggestions or advice?

The Keyboard Oracle

15 Jun 2012, 21:14

Nisten wrote:Anyone have any other suggestions or advice?
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The Rosewill RK-9100.

ale

16 Jun 2012, 20:44

Oh almighty Keyboard Oracle, I summon thee, for I am in a quest for the perfect keyboard, but find it I cannot.
As I am sure thou canst see, I am a programmer, and my office is in the depths of Dell mushyland. My limbs can only find some rest when I am back to my shelter, and typing with my trusty -but far from perfect- Thinkpad keyboard I can.

With many hours of meditation, I had a vision of the perfect tool for my job:
  • It had no maleodorant numeric keypad
  • It had easy to reach Super, Hyper, Ctrl and Alt keys
  • It was programmable
  • It had an integrated usable pointing device, or maybe it only had some kind of scroll wheel, easy to reach with my thumbs or index fingers
  • Its keys were not staggered
  • It was split
  • It had marvelous mechanical switches or at least Thinkpad-like quality scissor switches
Oh almighty, I know what I've seen was possibly just a chimera, but I hope thou canst find a similar tool, or enlighten the path I have to follow to acquire the magical skills I need to construct it myself. It would also be stellar if thou wouldst tell me approximately how much gold I have to collect before following the said path.

My fingers are in thine hands, please help me get rid of those evil domes!

The Keyboard Oracle

16 Jun 2012, 21:53

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: You would need to modify a Kinesis or Truly Ergonomic keyboard, and have taken the right first and decisive step to enlightment: becoming a member of deskthority to devote your soul and all of your gold to your studies and holy quest.

apb2390

26 Jun 2012, 02:57

Oh mighty keyboard oracle, my query lies within the bounds of the almighty Topre keyswitch board. I wish to procure a Topre keyboard, but there are many to choose from. I have decided that it must be ANSI; the question appears now on whether it should be uniformly weighted or weighted variably for the enjoyment of typists. I game a significant amount, and am aware that the switch weight is different among the WASD cluster on a variable weight board. However, I use the ESDF cluster, where the weight appears to be uniform among the keys. Is a variable board an acceptable purchase?

The Keyboard Oracle

26 Jun 2012, 08:23

The Keyboard Oracle has decided: Buy uniformly weighted, variable weighted can be weird with games where you use more keys than ESDF.

spolia_optima

27 Jun 2012, 16:00

Great and honorable oracle of keyboards
Would you grant a feeble old man
on his death bed, one last wish?
i-claudius-1.jpg
i-claudius-1.jpg (80.94 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
I tried asking the Sibyl, but she just mmade fun of mmmmymy st st st studder :|

Here's my plea: For years, this old man has spent, toiled and slouched through sleepless nights and backbreaking days trying to figure out this mysterious keyboard. I refuse to believe that it's some "gods forsaken freak of nature", as my friends and neighbors call it. It has to have a purpose. It HAS to mean something.

Here are a few images:
IMG_8409.jpg
IMG_8409.jpg (97.75 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
IMG_8410.jpg
IMG_8410.jpg (531.43 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
Model: Antec KF-91R
FCC: KM988KKB8851
Ver: 1.2A
Made in Taiwan

From what I've been able to dig up, it's an obscure Antec-branded version of a legacy Filco keyboard. It has the imitable Strongman ALPS switches mounted on a plastic plate--pretty cool, right?

Well, here's where things gets creepy. This keyboard features:
-TWO ADB-style cable ports, ala your vintage Apple keyboards
-But it's NOT ADB. I've tested it on a Powermac and a PC with ADB/USB converter. Nadda.
-I've also tried splicing an ADB cable into a PS/2 cable... No dice there either
-It also has a Windows key, so it's GOT to be a PC model, right?

My guess is that is uses some proprietary ADB/SVIDEO to USB cable, but I can't find any information that suggests this. From what I can tell, there is next to no information about this keyboard anywhere online.

I implore you, great Oracle, impart upon me a sliver of your infinite wisdom. I've set aside for sacrifice three strong goats and five hens.

Blessings of Jove upon you.

-Claudius

edit: posted while quite drunk. forgot to ask for a recommendation :(
Last edited by spolia_optima on 28 Jun 2012, 14:08, edited 1 time in total.

twosevenska

28 Jun 2012, 00:49

Oh almighty Oracle, for a few months now my Razer Tarantula has been failing me. If thou wish to read my short rant:
Spoiler:
- Keys failing from time to time (For example: yesterday I couldn't use the "O" key, it's hilarious when chatting with other people but problematic when writing code/papers);
- Keys fading out;
- Useless USB and Sound ports;
- Limited Macro Keys setup (Still end up using AutoHotkey for some of the longer Magicka spells);
- Media Keys don't work without workarounds on my players and require installing software;
- Neons almost dead, therefore I can barely understand the keys that depend on it;
Despite these many problems, I still love it and some of it's, well, "unique features". So I ask you if I can be enlightened on the road I need to follow:
  • Core
    • - Bellow 150€=120£=188$, ports already included and I can't really stretch it further :( ;
      - I can buy in or ship to Europe (probably recommending just one might not be enough);
      - ANSI USA layout;
      - As for the switches, I have 0 experience with them. I need something good for long hours of writing code lines/papers and still game from time to time. Therefore nothing clicky. Now the problem I face is between linear and tactile as well as stiffness. Since I still can't avoid bottoming out, after some reading I think I'll be going for either Cherry MX Brown or Red;
      - With a KRO of at least 6;
      - Good construction quality that probably make it last for quite some time (around 5 years);
      - Can strip it down and clean it;
    Optional
    • - If possible easy customizable keys, if someday I wish to replace them with ABS Double Shot Injection Molding (perhaps when I stop being an University Student and get a decent job);
      - ABS KeyCaps with Laser Engraving;
      - No drivers/software;
      - Without neons/backlights/leds. If impossible then at least let it be white/blue and with the option to turn them off/on;
      - Media Keys that can work with a foobar player;
After reading a lot I think a Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless, NKR, Soft Linear Action, USA Keyboard might suit me, do you agree OH MIGHTY ORACLE?

I know I'm being picky, but I'm just aiming to go for something even better than what I currently have. :oops:

The mother of Edits:
  • - Don't know if this might help, but I manly play RTS and FPS games.
    - Removed the full keyboard requirement, it could be a fun and different experience ^^.
    - Sorted things in order of preference.
    - I don't really know if I ever edited a post so much :lol:
Last edited by twosevenska on 29 Jun 2012, 18:40, edited 15 times in total.

The Keyboard Oracle

29 Jun 2012, 01:15

spolia_optima wrote:My guess is that is uses some proprietary ADB/SVIDEO to USB cable
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: ADB is already proprietary - it must be an ADB keyboard with a broken connector.

noobandroid

29 Jun 2012, 11:08

Oh great Oracle, i am in search of a lightweight TKL keyboard
preferences suit:
backlit optional
tenkeyless
USB connections
compact design, no extra function gimmicks
Cherry brown / buckling spring :?:
have the standard "windows" key
Last edited by noobandroid on 29 Jun 2012, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

ArchLlwyn

29 Jun 2012, 11:08

Oh, mighty Keyboard Oracle. I seek your guidance on a budget keyboard. I am currently looking at the Leopold FC200RR/AWN and the Vortex KBT RACE White LED keyboard. I desire a tenkeyless Cherry MX Red keyboard, but I am open to other things due to my lack of personal experience with Cherry MX switches. I come from a rubber dome, and now Buckling Spring background, having used my Unicomp SpaceSaver M for almost a year now, and simply need a second keyboard that is smaller. The price needs to be around the 120-or-less range, although more is permitted. I can only hope you can help me in my quest to keyboard perfection.

NEBUCHADNEZZAR

29 Jun 2012, 22:27

O the one true Keyboard Oracle, I come for advice. I have a crap desk and a Rosewill board with MX Blacks for my home use (Gaming mostly). I find my WPM drops by at least 20 (from ~90) over using my Unicomp BS board at work (with a proper desk and chair)

Is this simply because the blacks are an awkward switch for typing? (i've only had it for about a month), or is the horrible contortions i make to my body to accomodate my broken ass desk causing me to make more mistakes?

The Keyboard Oracle

29 Jun 2012, 22:42

twosevenska wrote:After reading a lot I think a Filco Majestouch-2, Tenkeyless, NKR, Soft Linear Action, USA Keyboard might suit me, do you agree OH MIGHTY ORACLE?
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The Filco Majestouch-2 is a wise choice, except the Oracle advices MX Browns because MX Reds are an acquired taste, mostly by gamers.

The Keyboard Oracle

29 Jun 2012, 22:58

noobandroid wrote:Oh great Oracle, i am in search of a lightweight TKL keyboard
preferences suit:
backlit optional
tenkeyless
USB connections
compact design, no extra function gimmicks
Cherry brown / buckling spring :?:
have the standard "windows" key
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The KBTalking Race 75% with Cherry MX Brown switches.

The Keyboard Oracle

29 Jun 2012, 23:07

ArchLlwyn wrote:I desire a tenkeyless Cherry MX Red keyboard, but I am open to other things due to my lack of personal experience with Cherry MX switches.
The Keyboard Oracle has decided: The Leopold and Vortex are good choices, but beware of the MX Reds if you come from buckling springs - they are at the opposite end of the spectrum - and you may prefer a more tactile Cherry switch.

webwit
Wild Duck

29 Jun 2012, 23:31

Lagging Oracle is an MX Red hater? :evilgeek:

Return to “Keyboards”