A proposal for a new SSK

bhtooefr

14 Jan 2014, 11:42

I know ThinkPads used Shift to switch modes once Num Lock was set... although due to how Num Lock works on PCs, it could easily get out of sync.

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2014, 12:02

Kurk wrote:The separate NumLock key makes sense. Does it also activate the internal numpad? How would one switch between the numpad numerical functions and its cursor navigation functions?
How is that realized in original IBM SSKs? I think you have to press shift to momentarily switch to the cursor functionality...

What is the function of the Invert Screen button? I couldn't find it in the thread and, obviously, it is not obvious :?
I've never once even thought of using my SSK's virtual numpad in navigation mode. Interesting question. I'll have to give it a shot!

Invert Screen is a macro I have on all my keyboards so I can just hit that key to toggle Mac OS X's negative colours mode. (Command+Option+Control+8) Emmer was looking for suggestions for extra key functions at the time and I passed mine along. It's super handy for me, but you have a good point: what will anyone think when they first see such a key? Especially if it doesn't work on their OS. Perhaps it's best to call it a macro or programmable key, so that it's extended functionality is more apparent.

M'er Forever

14 Jan 2014, 17:56

[Account and posts deleted on request]

M'er Forever

14 Jan 2014, 20:52

M'er Forever

14 Jan 2014, 21:50

Muirium
µ

14 Jan 2014, 22:52

I hit Command + [ to go back and close bracket to go forwards through browser history all the time, and if memory serves, Control plus those two keys does the same on Windows. But fair enough the USB HID has codes for such keys, so they make sense for a PC keyboard. Same for calculator. I think OS X ignores them, though; but you're already designing distinct versions.

Also agree about the idea of a "macro" legend key. They need to be something specific to have clear meaning on a non-programmable keyboard.

M'er Forever

14 Jan 2014, 23:31

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2014, 00:03

I admire the flexibility of IBM's barrel frame concept very much. It really is unparalleled when it comes to multiple physical layouts support. The only problem with it that I can see, and have encountered several times with my own model Ms, is the fact that spring and insert installation and replacement requires disassembling the entire layer sandwich. Even with a bolt modded model M, opening the whole thing up and keeping all the hammers in place while doing so, is quite a lot of work. This is fine for everyone besides the kind of guys like us who will go inside anyway. But if I were redesigning buckling spring from the ground up, I would consider some way of making this simpler too. Not that I have any smarter ideas right now.

M'er Forever

15 Jan 2014, 00:10

Attachments
LightGreen-WhiteSSK9.jpg
LightGreen-WhiteSSK9.jpg (918.55 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
LightGreen-WhiteSSK8.jpg
LightGreen-WhiteSSK8.jpg (916.97 KiB) Viewed 8970 times
LightGreen-WhiteSSK7.jpg
LightGreen-WhiteSSK7.jpg (918.57 KiB) Viewed 8970 times

Daemon Raccoon

15 Jan 2014, 00:41

Muirium wrote:I admire the flexibility of IBM's barrel frame concept very much. It really is unparalleled when it comes to multiple physical layouts support. The only problem with it that I can see, and have encountered several times with my own model Ms, is the fact that spring and insert installation and replacement requires disassembling the entire layer sandwich. Even with a bolt modded model M, opening the whole thing up and keeping all the hammers in place while doing so, is quite a lot of work. This is fine for everyone besides the kind of guys like us who will go inside anyway. But if I were redesigning buckling spring from the ground up, I would consider some way of making this simpler too. Not that I have any smarter ideas right now.
The Model F was better in that regard, the barrels were held in the tabbed upper plate (and foam) which slid over the PCB, plastic separator, and slotted lower plate; the whole thing was held together by friction and a single bent metal tab.

scottc

15 Jan 2014, 01:15

Muirium wrote:I hit Command + [ to go back and close bracket to go forwards through browser history all the time
Are you a wizard?.. I can confirm that Ctrl+[ and Ctrl+] does this on Firefox for Linux too. This is magic, thank you!

M'er Forever

15 Jan 2014, 01:37

Last edited by M'er Forever on 15 Jan 2014, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2014, 12:08

Thanks for reminding me, I have a bent spring on my Kishsaver that could use a solitary replacement. But the point stands that converting a buckling spring keyboard (model F or M) from one physical layout to another is a deceptively difficult process, given the fundamental simplicity of the barrel and insert design. There has to be a better way. That brilliant flexibility is wasted when left unexposed.
scottc wrote:
Muirium wrote:I hit Command + [ to go back and close bracket to go forwards through browser history all the time
Are you a wizard?.. I can confirm that Ctrl+[ and Ctrl+] does this on Firefox for Linux too. This is magic, thank you!
Try adding shift, and you should switch between tabs, too. There are many more. Shortcuts are half the reason I love keyboards. So much quicker than the mouse, and quite indistinguishable from magic.

M'er Forever

16 Jan 2014, 03:48

Attachments
LightGreen-WhiteSSK10.jpg
LightGreen-WhiteSSK10.jpg (918.53 KiB) Viewed 8894 times

Daemon Raccoon

16 Jan 2014, 04:45

[Vomits a bit into mouth] Larger OS keys are the last thing anyone sane would want.

E TwentyNine

16 Jan 2014, 04:54

If you created a keyboard with construction like an M (membrane, one piece barrel plate), there is an easy solution for layout changes. When building the thing, instead of leaving the barrels over unused pads empty, put a pivot plate in there without a spring.

If you want to add/move keys you can simply install springs where you want and pull them where you don't without disassembling the keyboard. The plate sitting there by itself will not activate the switch.

Findecanor

16 Jan 2014, 08:09

Daemon Raccoon wrote:[Vomits a bit into mouth] Larger OS keys are the last thing anyone sane would want.
Unless you are a Mac user... but then you would also want to swap Alt and GUI and let the key on the right side be the right GUI key.

Muirium
µ

16 Jan 2014, 10:17

Indeed. I use Command constantly, so it's my most important mod and gets pride of place beside the space bar on both sides. Even with my 2+2 mod IBMs. I don't need it to be larger though. The position is what matters in fact I much prefer the elegance of the previous arrangement with equally sized mods. We can always switch caps.
E TwentyNine wrote:If you created a keyboard with construction like an M (membrane, one piece barrel plate), there is an easy solution for layout changes. When building the thing, instead of leaving the barrels over unused pads empty, put a pivot plate in there without a spring.

If you want to add/move keys you can simply install springs where you want and pull them where you don't without disassembling the keyboard. The plate sitting there by itself will not activate the switch.
Brilliant! My only doubt is how to deal with the stabiliser inserts? I've found them pretty harrowing to get out from the top side, where they have no traction. While from inside the assembly all they need is a gentle push.

Perhaps we would be better off without inserts at all. How about wider stabilisers on the caps so they can slide in an empty barrel without assistance? Or if a second plastic is required anyway, attach it to the cap, not the barrel.

Grond

16 Jan 2014, 12:40

This is still my favorite version:

Muirium
µ

16 Jan 2014, 12:56

It's a great colour scheme, and the familiar function row is still appealing. The space bar's a bit big for my liking though, because I have to cramp my thumbs to hold either Command; and I prefer uniformly sized mods anyway. And then there's the awkward function key up where Apple put it on their desktop boards, which I've never heard anyone say they like.

But other than the bottom row, this physical layout would be an excellent baseline that further customisation can still fall back to. Long right shift isn't for me, but I don't need it to be if it can be either full size or reduced by a unit thanks to the excellent barrel frame. Ditto 2 unit backspace.

M'er Forever

16 Jan 2014, 19:14

M'er Forever

16 Jan 2014, 22:16

Attachments
LightBlue-WhiteSSK12.jpg
LightBlue-WhiteSSK12.jpg (811.21 KiB) Viewed 8794 times

E TwentyNine

16 Jan 2014, 22:28

M'er Forever wrote:
E TwentyNine wrote:If you created a keyboard with construction like an M (membrane, one piece barrel plate), there is an easy solution for layout changes. When building the thing, instead of leaving the barrels over unused pads empty, put a pivot plate in there without a spring.

If a pivot plate without spring is installed in a barrel into which the user wants to install a stabilizer insert in order to have a single wide key instead of two smaller adjacent keys (i.e., Daemon Raccoon's "insane" user), the stabilizer insert would (I think) interfere with the pivot plate. It may be necessary for the keyboard to be built at the factory with either no stabilizers in place for bottom-row modifiers and set up for 4 keys, or with stabilizers installed and set up for 3 keys (middle one wider) on either side of the spacebar, to avoid having to disassemble the keyswitch "sandwich" to make the change from one scheme to the other.
Just a question of changing the design of the insert slightly (and maybe the pin that goes into it).

I checked and a barrel insert does does stick down past the bottom of the barrel, but it bottoms out on the sides. It can be cut or designed slightly differently for a new board. Same thing with the pin.

M'er Forever

16 Jan 2014, 22:29

M'er Forever

16 Jan 2014, 22:32

E TwentyNine

16 Jan 2014, 22:35

The last render shows up fine (and fast).

M'er Forever

16 Jan 2014, 22:37

Muirium
µ

16 Jan 2014, 23:27

Fine here too. Try purging your browser's cache.

Loving all those equal mods. I'd take that one!

M'er Forever

16 Jan 2014, 23:54

spolia_optima

02 Apr 2014, 18:58

06sidelose.jpg
06sidelose.jpg (126.68 KiB) Viewed 8496 times
Reminds me of Apple's M0116. Love it.

Return to “Keyboards”