Topre switch / Cherry MX compatible

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

14 Dec 2013, 11:42

Findecanor wrote: - Signature Plastic-profile on most keys, which is the same as Cherry-profile except the ZXCV-row which has a more acute angle. This is lower profile than the predominant "OEM profile". Less key wobble, lower-profile keyboard.
Why would you wish for SP profile over real Cherry profile?

Daniel Beardsmore

14 Dec 2013, 17:20

Broadmonkey wrote:
Findecanor wrote: - Signature Plastic-profile on most keys, which is the same as Cherry-profile except the ZXCV-row which has a more acute angle. This is lower profile than the predominant "OEM profile". Less key wobble, lower-profile keyboard.
Why would you wish for SP profile over real Cherry profile?
Group buys are predominantly SP. If you want to replace some, but not all, keycaps on the keyboard, then it would be nice to have matching profiles, e.g. all DSA. (Signature Plastics is a company, not a profile; like how Adobe is a company, not a program.)

If the stock keycaps are as good as they're hyped up to be, replacing only subsets of keys is more practical than it is with keyboards where you need to replace all of them.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

16 Dec 2013, 09:12

matt3o wrote:there's nothing more left to say other than

Patience... haha but good to see that you like it :D!
IvanIvanovich wrote:All I know is I want the Cherry profile keycaps shown in the first teaser photo. CM should make those also available separately as an aftermarket upgrade keycap set for QFR/XT. Even better still would be to switch to those across the board. IT would give a clear quality advantage to almost all the competition product.
Thank you for the input, we do have for our normal Quick Fire mechanical Range Stealth KBs available with a clear top and the print on the front/side of the keycap. But no completely blank keycaps.
bianco wrote: this just might make me jump back to cm again.
kudos on the amazing development
i don't mind the switches missing out on the LED/bling and the clean look is nice so far based on the partial pics.

but are you considering:
1, making a full layout board?
2, or a separate numpad? (assuming that the pic quoted is from one)
3, or a 55g version?
Thanks. The picture with the seperate numpad is only a demo board but for further plans with this Topre/Cherry Switch I cannot comment on at this stage. The picture if the first pic will be our starting point.
Broadmonkey wrote:Okay, I am just going to throw this out.
Is those new stems developed by CM or are they in fact made by Topre themselves?
I ask because Topre has stopped making key caps themselves, or at least selling them separately. It would make sense for Topre to make them compatible with Cherry keycaps as there is a larger support and more companies already have molds for it, plus it would be a great selling point if Topre is trying to enter a lower price segment (which it seems).
It is a collaboration between CM and Topre.

Keep your thoughts coming. I will be here to stay and answer questions and also if there is any news I can update/share we will do...

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Dec 2013, 09:19

May I dare suggesting CES 2014?

(so basically 7-10 January)

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

16 Dec 2013, 09:55

matt3o wrote:May I dare suggesting CES 2014?

(so basically 7-10 January)
If you are at CES and you are interested in this project be sure to step by us ;)!

But to be not so vague: yes, we will show at CES 2014 in Las Vegas :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Dec 2013, 10:11

cool!

I'd love to be there... I'll probably be in CA next year for a month or so, but I can't make it by January. I bet Ming will be there though :)
Last edited by matt3o on 16 Dec 2013, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.

cookie

16 Dec 2013, 10:57

Sell The Sliders!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

16 Dec 2013, 10:58

matt3o wrote:cool!

I'd love be there... I'll probably be in CA next year for a month or so, but I can't make it by January. I bet Ming will be there though :)
Alright.. There will offcourse be a lot of media at CES so you will for sure see this pop up on different media, forums, YouTube and such..

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

18 Dec 2013, 15:27

For those interested we will as mentioned above show at CES in Las Vegas (jan 6-10). Also as update there is a sample to EU office underway and I will see what I can do to make some nice 'teaser' pictures by our photographer/designer... :)

Keep an eye on this topic for updates :) :) :)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

18 Dec 2013, 15:31

CM Bram wrote:For those interested we will as mentioned above show at CES in Las Vegas (jan 6-10). Also as update there is a sample to EU office underway and I will see what I can do to make some nice 'teaser' pictures by our photographer/designer... :)
you are vicious! c'mon stop teasing us :) release that damn thing!

Findecanor

18 Dec 2013, 20:15

Broadmonkey wrote:Why would you wish for SP profile over real Cherry profile?
Neither is more "real". SP profile has more curvature. I do not like it for the bottom row, though, because it is too sharp.

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

19 Dec 2013, 15:28

matt3o wrote: you are vicious! c'mon stop teasing us :) release that damn thing!
Haha +1 :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

20 Dec 2013, 19:38

you should really check this http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/ ... ml#p139550 (and release soon! :) )

cookie

20 Dec 2013, 20:08

Thats right matt3o! Force them to release that thing fast!
And Noppoo will sell the slicers 100% for sure!

Cafeine

21 Dec 2013, 19:03

I want one. I want MOAR TOPREEEEEE (and keycaps. ;) )

matt3o
-[°_°]-

21 Dec 2013, 19:10

the silence about stabs is worrying....

cookie

23 Dec 2013, 11:48

no mate, the silence about sliders is!

I think they are all out of office right now, it's christmas time :)

kyb

25 Dec 2013, 11:31

On a second thought: What if the stems change the THOCK sound of the Topres? That would be a showstopper.

fart_toast

25 Dec 2013, 20:16

If CM is looking to see if people are interested in Cherry MX cap compatible topre then yes.. I am one of them! Very much so!

bloodyredd

26 Dec 2013, 15:38

Bram, I would like to ask if the topre/cherry switch is also on the keyboard that Cooler Master used for their Lighting teaser video. I

Here is the video:

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

02 Jan 2014, 11:03

bloodyredd wrote:Bram, I would like to ask if the topre/cherry switch is also on the keyboard that Cooler Master used for their Lighting teaser video. I

Here is the video:
Hi there..

Sorry for the late response but I was out of office for a couple of days due to holiday so first of all to you all a happy new year..

But for your question. The product shown in the video is not the Topre project. The Topre keyboard will not have a LED backlight. The product shown in the video is a upgraded QFR version with some cool backlight modes as shown in the video. Also a product for the next coming months!

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

02 Jan 2014, 11:17

cookie wrote:no mate, the silence about sliders is!

I think they are all out of office right now, it's christmas time :)
Christmas holiday indeed and since it is only me on this forum there was no backup colleague but I am here now again :D!
kyb wrote:On a second thought: What if the stems change the THOCK sound of the Topres? That would be a showstopper.
To answer your question, no the lovely thock sound will be the same as you love :D
fart_toast wrote:If CM is looking to see if people are interested in Cherry MX cap compatible topre then yes.. I am one of them! Very much so!
Good to see, stay tuned to this forum thread for more info :D

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Jan 2014, 11:18

CM Bram, pleeease break the silence about the stabs! :D

Bramster
Cooler Master Employee

02 Jan 2014, 11:33

matt3o wrote:CM Bram, pleeease break the silence about the stabs! :D
Let me turn the question arround: What would you like to see us use? :P

Muirium
µ

02 Jan 2014, 11:44

I'm guessing something based on Costar stabs are the easiest. I'd love to see plate mount Cherry stabs, but I don't know how to pull it off with Topre domes.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Jan 2014, 14:30

CM Bram wrote:
you should use something that fits in current topre keyboards (eg: realforce). If you are using standard costar or cherry stabs it means that we couldn't use your sliders on a topre keyboard.

Basically would you take a picture of the switches/stabs under the spacebar or shift?

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

02 Jan 2014, 14:48

But then you wouldn't be able to use replace >1.75 keycaps on the CM Topre keyboard with something like the gazillion aftermarket sets from eg. SP, and thus cripple the whole idea of using MX compatible stems on it, no?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

02 Jan 2014, 14:50

Broadmonkey wrote:But then you wouldn't be able to use replace >1.75 keycaps on the CM Topre keyboard with something like the gazillion aftermarket sets from eg. SP, and thus cripple the whole idea of using MX compatible stems on it, no?
the slider has to be compatible with current topre keyboard, the stem would be MX anyway I suppose.

bazh

02 Jan 2014, 15:29

matt3o wrote:
CM Bram wrote:
you should use something that fits in current topre keyboards (eg: realforce). If you are using standard costar or cherry stabs it means that we couldn't use your sliders on a topre keyboard.
This. I want my HHKB to wear those beautiful MX keycaps so it would be meaningless if the stab didn't compatible :?

Topre Enthusiast

06 Jan 2014, 09:11

Found these on a pcwaishe thread today:

Another (from here):

Edit: Thanks for the imgur links, matt3o.
Last edited by 002 on 06 Jan 2014, 13:53, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Keyboards”