Today was the day...

cookie

17 Feb 2014, 17:35

... when for the first time a coworker recognized the "smooth sound" of my keyboard!

Pure win!

Do you guys get recognized at work? Doesn't matter if in a positive or negative way :)

HzFaq

17 Feb 2014, 17:44

My boss used my Filco when I first took it in and commented about the long travel and lot's of people ask me where the rest of my board is (I use a TKL at work) but other than that, I don't get all that many comments. The vertical mouse has made people recoil in horror before now though, I've started to leave a normal mouse plugged in for whenever someone needs to use my computer.

Noise wise, the fingerpecking rubberdome guy that sits opposite me makes more noise than most of the rest of the office combined when he types so he covers up my clacking.

Kurk

17 Feb 2014, 23:41

My Kinesis Advantage exceeded the limit of the imagination of most of my co-workers about how a keyboard could look like. It is now known as the "boobs keyboard". Unfortunately I have failed in convincing any of my colleagues of the value of a proper keyboard.
Oh, and I keep a horrible Dell rubber dome connected to my office computer for the IT guys :roll:

CeeSA

18 Feb 2014, 09:16

only a few people say something about my keyboard. My direct colleagues say: "He comes in the morning, push a few buttons, and the work is done from his programable keyboard alone."

Women tend to ask what is about. The pencil pushers are more afraid to said something wrong or make a bad joke.
office_desk.jpg
office_desk.jpg (269.75 KiB) Viewed 5293 times
But most of them like to have a Nespresso Lungo with me. ;)

cookie

18 Feb 2014, 11:56

Haha nice ones!
I convinced my boss to buy a filco TKL with blues after lending him my customized QFR.
He tended to distract me from my work by grabbing the Keyboard and start coding wild stuff... afterwards I always had to correct his lines to make his stuff work :(

I went from TKL Iso to HHKB with blanks, his behavior imediately stopped :D
He actually woul'd be able to use it, but ANSI screws him up hahahaha!

JBert

18 Feb 2014, 16:46

CeeSA wrote:only a few people say something about my keyboard. My direct colleagues say: "He comes in the morning, push a few buttons, and the work is done from his programable keyboard alone."

Women tend to ask what is about. The pencil pushers are more afraid to said something wrong or make a bad joke.

But most of them like to have a Nespresso Lungo with me. ;)
I mostly wonder what you had to do to get the custom monitor stand, and what that little device is doing on the windowsill beneath those shutters.

CeeSA

18 Feb 2014, 16:59

the monitor stand is DIY with wood for about 8€ and some screws. Iirc the upper edge from the monitor should be in the height of the eyes ergo wise.
The device is a ISDN NTBA.
For the young people some useless info: ISDN = Integrated Services Digital Network. ;)

BimboBB

18 Feb 2014, 20:33

Usually people just asking me about the RGB mods. What irritates me is that they assume i am colour blind when they see RGB modifiers. Dont get it! :roll:

Otherwise reactions just tend to zero. My Filco with browns and dampers is just as loud as all the rubbish rubberdomes around me, as the guys have to push them hard to get register a keystroke. :D Only excemption was an IT guy who had to use my keyboard for 5 minutes and his reaction was like "WTF....what kind of keyboard is that?"

7bit

18 Feb 2014, 20:55

Maybe you should post a picture of your "RGB"-modifiers and we can tell you if you are really color-blind ...
:o

rindorbrot

18 Feb 2014, 20:59

:D

BimboBB

18 Feb 2014, 21:08

thats my working mule: http://i.imgur.com/q3JQxAR.jpg

7bit

18 Feb 2014, 22:01

:shock: :?

BimboBB

18 Feb 2014, 22:17

....exactly!

Daniel Beardsmore

18 Feb 2014, 23:06

My boss once described my Realforce as "loud" — which is true, if you compare it to the scissor switch I gave him. I think everyone's accustomed to me being the nutter with all the keyboards. Someday I must take home Ascaii's scuzzy ETC Power Glide that's still lying around by my desk.

One customer looked at my (not far off brand new) G80-3000 and thought it was an old keyboard. (And it's true that the design is, I grant you.)

I did have a colleague mention the sound my Filco but in a positive light — I forget whether he said it was relaxing, or something. It's not a bad sound, but my Poker II sounds far better. The Quiet Pro is so quiet that you don't even realise anyone's using it (someone else has that).

I seem to be going wrong somewhere with keycaps, though — a strange mixture of original Diatec, Cherry profile EK doubleshots and OEM profile Tai-Hao doubleshots on the Filco (I would have taken a better photo at the time, but the camera battery ran out at that moment):
Maybe I really am colour blind¿.jpg
Maybe I really am colour blind¿.jpg (183.69 KiB) Viewed 5077 times

7bit

18 Feb 2014, 23:29

You need more doubleshots!
:evilgeek:

The only issue with my keyboard at work is that I sometimes have difficulties to listen to someone at the phone while typing on my 122 key Model M ...
:roll:

Topre Enthusiast

18 Feb 2014, 23:53

Daniel Beardsmore wrote:My boss once described my Realforce as "loud"
Are you sure he was referring to the sonic characteristics there? :)

My colleagues have embraced premium keyboards now. One got a Filco, another is using a Leopold and three of us are using Realforces. The guy with the Leopold is the loudest with his MX Reds. Filco and Leopold guy are supposedly both getting the new Novatouch when it comes out.

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Feb 2014, 02:45

:-P

Madhias
BS TORPE

19 Feb 2014, 08:56

My Filco was recognized on the first day, in the first minutes of using my MX blues. After one or two days my colleague told me that she do not likes the sound, and it would be annoying. But now it's a view weeks since i use this board here, and no trouble anymore.

Since i have a wood, this palm wrist in front, everyone who passes by says something like "what's that" and is confused or maybe jealous and recognizes that there's something strange going on. But everybody knows now that the keyboard layout prints at the LAN printer are mine and i do have to go to get them!

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Feb 2014, 09:41

Should I be concerned at the flesh-like tints of that obscured screen content?

Madhias
BS TORPE

19 Feb 2014, 09:48

Hehe, no no, it's just that we're not allowed to show the layouts we're working with. It's nothing filthy! No dirty magazine or so =]

Daniel Beardsmore

19 Feb 2014, 19:07

It looks like an albino creeper …

Britney Spears

19 Feb 2014, 23:09

madhias wrote:Image
I spot a "Hope" sticker! Are you into mountain biking?

Ascaii
The Beard

19 Feb 2014, 23:18

When I was working in the construction/planning office of a large theatre in Berlin the rest of the office gave me the nickname of "machine gun typist". The first couple days people kept coming in to see what the noise was. The most common comment was how industrious and at work i sounded, some even felt motivated and more concentrated from hearing my clatter. At the time I was using my own modded g80-1851 with ergo clears on the alphas and greys on the mods and kept bottoming out.

bhtooefr

20 Feb 2014, 02:31

I've gotten comments about people hearing my keyboard well outside of the office when I'm typing up a long e-mail... maybe I shouldn't use a Unicomp board...

Compgeke

20 Feb 2014, 09:05

Taking a keyboard with Cherry Blacks to school has resulted in comments based on the "thock" it makes. People do tend to like the Ms more until you actually type on it.

cookie

20 Feb 2014, 15:15

"Caution! The following sentence may contain extreme Topre fanboyism which could be disturbing for you! Open the spoiler at own risk"
Spoiler:
Only Topre "Thoks"

Compgeke

20 Feb 2014, 15:45

Compared to the Dell Rubbermush the school has MX Blacks have a nice thock. It sure isn't a click.

Madhias
BS TORPE

20 Feb 2014, 15:58

Britney Spears wrote:I spot a "Hope" sticker! Are you into mountain biking?
Well seen! Not that big into mountain biking, but i have a lot of stuff from Hope. For example a Hope Pro 2 hub (the same like using clicky keyboards), a seatpost, etc. A Hope break i had, but sold. But all on a commuter style bike, a mixture between a mountain bike and street bike.
Now i'm riding a Salsa frame, with a Tune hub - but not as loud as the Pro 2 hub :)

cookie

20 Feb 2014, 17:45

Compgeke wrote:Compared to the Dell Rubbermush the school has MX Blacks have a nice thock. It sure isn't a click.
I used both, vintage MX Black and the newer one.
Do they feel good? Yes (Vintage black all the way)
Do they Thok? No I woudn't describe their sound as a "thok" it is not soft enough. When the slider colides with the housing (bottom up/down) it still sounds sharp and plastically.

Muirium
µ

20 Feb 2014, 17:49

The word is clack, isn't it?

Topre's Thock because of that nonlinear force curve they have. The gradient eases off near the top and you get a smoother sound than clack as they top out.

(Notably, I have no office stories. My heavy typing is all done at home. On Model Fs, Ms, MX Greens…)

Return to “Keyboards”