The SurpriseBox Worldwide Trip 2

Muirium
µ

23 Oct 2015, 21:18

HAL wrote: I mixed it up. I intended to send this to Madhias. But then I gave him the wrong box :)
ImageThis is what I took out
Of all those caps, the one that really makes me raise my eyebrows is stepped Backspace…

That would bite me so hard. Control lives there, damnit!

Madhias
BS TORPE

26 Oct 2015, 20:22

I have not heard from wheybags yet regarding his address to forward the box. So the box is safe here. The side which can be opened cannot be accessed by kids :)

Muirium
µ

26 Oct 2015, 20:26

Send it on to HzFaq if he doesn't answer in the next few days. I want to get this before I'm away in America, or everyone after me in the list is hosed! We can get it to Wheybags a bit later instead if he's busy.

7bit

27 Oct 2015, 14:53

Or maybe just ship it to Muirium, so there is no rush for the others.
:-)

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 14:54

I'm cool with that, of course. Any time before December is fine by me. December itself gets real busy, then I'm gone until 2016.

HzFaq

27 Oct 2015, 14:56

Yeah, if you can't get hold of wheybags just swap him with Mu.

scottc

27 Oct 2015, 15:02

I've gotten in touch with wheybags off-forum, let's see if he gets back about this.

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 15:04

Thanks! Being later on the list for this box is often a good thing. (Which is why I convinced Mr. Interface to swap around America and Europe this time.)

Also: Scottc and flopix travel in and out of Ireland frequently (as I understand), which will save us in Britain our traditional round of expensive foreign shipping! If we actually use that fact…

scottc

27 Oct 2015, 15:06

I travel between Ireland, England and Poland fairly regularly. I won't be back in Ireland until December though.

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 15:12

According to the list, Wheybags is the only one in Ireland, and these are the planned stops in Britain:

HzFaq ( UK ) ( PONGED )
urbancamo ( UK ) ( PONGED )
Andrewjoy ( UK ) ( PONGED )
Muirium( UK ) (PONGED)
scottc( UK ) ( PONGED )
hoggy ( Isle of Man ) ( PONGED )

There's six weeks until I leave. I shouldn't need more than a week with the box myself, but I know people like to take their time. Perhaps do November in Britain, then over to Ireland and back again to finish the rest of us off in December? Depends when you're leaving London and arriving back there again, if you're up for double mule work! Shipping the box around Britain should be reasonably cheap at least.

andrewjoy

27 Oct 2015, 15:15

The boxes are getting big.

i dunno how i am going to fit my stuff in it!

I don't mind if we are a little later in the UK, i am just glad i don't have to ship the thing too far.

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 15:25

Remember the gigantic box I shipped the Ergo Pro inside to you? Even that wasn't expensive. Domestic shipping in Britain is fine. It's foreign shipping where we suddenly enter the realm of madness.

andrewjoy

27 Oct 2015, 15:37

I have a nice big box in work i can move it to if needs be.

Muirium
µ

27 Oct 2015, 15:45

The limit will eventually be Scott's luggage!

scottc

27 Oct 2015, 16:39

I don't usually bring checked luggage to London - there's not much need when I'm only staying for a couple of days at a time! We can see closer to the time whether I'll be able to ferry things across the channel.

Mrinterface

29 Oct 2015, 09:22

Guys ( and Girls? )
You are free to mix things up to get the best optimal route. Just post the new preferred route here and I'll update the OP.

andrewjoy

29 Oct 2015, 12:34

scottc wrote: I don't usually bring checked luggage to London - there's not much need when I'm only staying for a couple of days at a time! We can see closer to the time whether I'll be able to ferry things across the channel.
I don't take checked in baggage anywhere unless i am staying more than a week. I can fit plenty of cloths in a small carry on bag and i am really really fat.

scottc

29 Oct 2015, 12:37

andrewjoy wrote:
scottc wrote: I don't usually bring checked luggage to London - there's not much need when I'm only staying for a couple of days at a time! We can see closer to the time whether I'll be able to ferry things across the channel.
I don't take checked in baggage anywhere unless i am staying more than a week. I can fit plenty of cloths in a small carry on bag and i am really really fat.
Hahah! I'm 6'5" and only a bit fat so I'm all good too, even with Ryanair.

andrewjoy

29 Oct 2015, 12:42

Its the shoes man ! The shoes take up all the space, i like my classic leather sole shoes and they do not compress well like a pair of trainers!

http://www.loake.co.uk/

I usually wear my crocks on the plane so i can take em off easy for the cavity search

scottc

29 Oct 2015, 13:44

I'm a size 12... don't talk to me about big shoes! If I'm somewhere for a week, I'm not likely to bring a spare pair of shoes. My work's relaxed though, so I just wear trainers all the time.

Madhias
BS TORPE

29 Oct 2015, 14:09

I would send it out tomorrow, but where to? I could send it to this house:

Muirium
µ

29 Oct 2015, 14:37

That's 400 miles away! Send it to this house instead:

I could walk up town and pick it up. (Or I could write you a PM… in progress now.)

Halvar

29 Oct 2015, 14:41

Wow, that's a nice photo .. the colors look almost unreal.

Muirium
µ

29 Oct 2015, 14:48

I just Ducked it. So I can't say. But Edinburgh, as all of Scotland, does have a warm yellowy light on a sunny day. The sun's always so low.

Still looks filtered to me, but they're accentuating a genuine effect.

HzFaq

29 Oct 2015, 15:03

What's the plan then? Mu and whey swapping spots?

Muirium
µ

29 Oct 2015, 15:55

Bit more complicated. I intend to send it on down to Andy, as I already have a keyboard I'm likely to ship him anyway. That spares me international shipping, which cost me a pretty penny on this last year as I was the last man in Europe.

We're also trying to make use of Scottc's routine travel between London and Ireland. Wheybags will still get it, though. I just needed to step in because the current rate of progress was going to land up with the SurpriseBox on my doorstep once I'd already left to America.

Muirium
µ

29 Oct 2015, 16:43

Here's Andy's mission, should he choose to take it:

http://deskthority.net/post262175.html#p262175

The hard part is there's a whole keyboard attached. And it has LEDs. That's a mother of a desoldering job!

Madhias
BS TORPE

31 Oct 2015, 22:45

So the box is on its way to Scotland now. It is almost 12 Kg!
Spoiler:
There are keyboards in it!
I still have to post a picture what I took out:

One thing is in the picture missing: I ate some chocolate which was also inside...

There was a problem short before closing the box again. Someone heard plastic parts rustling in bags, and instantly there was chaos instead of order (little bit of a spoiler, so a warning if you do not want to see one bag of 50 other bags of the box):
Spoiler:

Muirium
µ

02 Nov 2015, 00:53

12 kilos, at UK shipping rates, could spell trouble. We may have to split the stuff up.
photekq wrote: I reckon 12kg through Parcelforce would cost about a grand :lol:
He's got a point! It'll be something extraordinary, I'm sure. I was recently quoted £57 tracked for a single keyboard through Parcelforce to mainland Europe.

I didn't sign up for something quite as costly as all that. The rules:
Mrinterface wrote: 3. Send it to the next one in line with tracking. We still need to decide on what to do with excessive continent border crossing postage cost.
4. Don't put stuff inside the box to make the total heavier than 3 kgs.
5. Don't put stuff inside the box to make it larger than a full sized keyboard.
Hmm…

Let's see what's in there and I'll try to come up with something cunning. A treasure trove is great, but a boat anchor is another story here in the land of super pricey shipping.

7bit

02 Nov 2015, 14:33

The importance of rules are usually overrated!
:evilgeek:

Return to “Keyboards”