How to Tighten Loose-Fitting Cherry Keycaps on CM Novatouch

Hypersphere

06 Sep 2014, 19:07

In my continuing assessment of my CM Novatouch keyboard, the most recent issue I have encountered is with loose-fitting Cherry keycaps. After installing a new set of dye-sub PBT Cherry mx keycaps from geek_feng (similar to sets available from IMSTO), I find that some of the keycaps are so loose that they pop off while typing. As might be expected, the situation is worsened by installing O-rings on the keycap stems.

With ordinary Cherry mx keyboards, a remedy for loose keycaps is to put a small piece of cellotape over the switch stem and press the keycap into place. However, in the case of the hybrid Topre switches in the CM Novatouch with Cherry mx stems, I am concerned that bits of cellotape could break off and gum up the works of the switch. Is this a valid concern with these switches? Are there better methods that are also straightforward?

TheNacho
delicious.

07 Sep 2014, 13:56

When fitting some metal keycaps to normal Cherry switches I used a piece of normal transparent foil, like from a document sleeve for example. You could try that, and if a piece rips of, it wont glue the switch up, since there is no glue involved.

It does take a few tries to get it correctly positioned though, since it wont stick to the stem :D

andrewjoy

07 Sep 2014, 15:01

I use plumper's tape and wrap it around the stem, its a good was to make crappy filco type stabilisers tight as the ones on mine are very loose

you could also put the tape over the cap hole and push it onto the stem

Hypersphere

07 Sep 2014, 15:58

I might just leave well enough alone unless the caps pop off on a regular basis. If I start putting tape, etc. into the stems, it seems it would make the height of the keycaps vary slightly from one key to another; I suppose I will try it to see if I notice any difference.

andrewjoy

07 Sep 2014, 16:47

PTFE is so thin that wont matter but its just thick enough to stop the cap poping off i would never use normal tape

Hypersphere

07 Sep 2014, 17:47

Update: Although all of the Imsto keycaps on my Novatouch are rather loose, and Imsto caps are known to have a looser fit than some other Cherrry mx keycaps, the keycap on the "O" key on my Novatouch is so loose that it pops off while I am typing, and it falls off when the keyboard is inverted.

To test whether the problem was in the keycap or the switch stem on the keyboard, I reversed the "I" and "O" keycaps. Now it is the "I" keycap that pops off while I am typing and falls off when the keyboard is inverted.

Therefore, it appears that the problem resides in the switch stem on the Novatouch. Of course, there are workarounds for such problems, such as putting some tape or plastic wrap in the keycap. Nevertheless, CM ought to take a look at this issue. It might just be a matter of tightening up the tolerances on their quality control procedures.

chzel

07 Sep 2014, 18:46

Haven't tried it, but wouldn't coating the stem with a thin layer of nail polish work?
It's flexible so it shouldn't flake off, adheres well, and can add a lot of thickness easily.

Hypersphere

07 Sep 2014, 18:56

chzel wrote: Haven't tried it, but wouldn't coating the stem with a thin layer of nail polish work?
It's flexible so it shouldn't flake off, adheres well, and can add a lot of thickness easily.
This might work, but I would prefer a fix that is reversible, either for the keycap or the switch stem.

Moreover, although various fixes will work, they should not be necessary in the first place.

chzel

07 Sep 2014, 19:16

Hypersphere wrote:
chzel wrote: Haven't tried it, but wouldn't coating the stem with a thin layer of nail polish work?
This might work, but I would prefer a fix that is reversible, either for the keycap or the switch stem.

Moreover, although various fixes will work, they should not be necessary in the first place.
True, esp on sth as unique as the Novatouch.
I had this thought with MX in mind (easily replaceable).

Muirium
µ

08 Sep 2014, 18:43

What a bugger. For what it's worth: no such issues with any of my caps. PBT Granite even stayed on when I accidentally dropped the NovaTouch on a hard floor. I had o-rings on some keys (I like to experiment) and those were fine too.

From what I've heard, MX clears are damn tight with DSA caps like Granite. While IMSTO caps are notoriously loose on many MX keyboards. I'd lay the blame for your troubles on both CM and the manufacturer of your caps. There's too much variability in the MX world, as shown by everyone's home remedies! The NovaTouch may be damned if it does, damned if it doesn't. What's too loose for some caps may be too tight for others. I guess it depends on what cap selection they built it to support.

Hypersphere

08 Sep 2014, 19:43

Muirium wrote: What a bugger. For what it's worth: no such issues with any of my caps. PBT Granite even stayed on when I accidentally dropped the NovaTouch on a hard floor. I had o-rings on some keys (I like to experiment) and those were fine too.

From what I've heard, MX clears are damn tight with DSA caps like Granite. While IMSTO caps are notoriously loose on many MX keyboards. I'd lay the blame for your troubles on both CM and the manufacturer of your caps. There's too much variability in the MX world, as shown by everyone's home remedies! The NovaTouch may be damned if it does, damned if it doesn't. What's too loose for some caps may be too tight for others. I guess it depends on what cap selection they built it to support.
Yes, I tend to agree with your assessment. Perhaps CM tried to target its stem size to the tighter-fitting Cherry mx caps. Nevertheless, it does appear that one of the stems on my Novatouch is a statistical outlier on the small end of the size spectrum.

Moreover, in addition to the stabilizer rattle in the stabilized keys and the spacebar return-stroke "clack", some of the regular keys of my Novatouch (9, F, K, ;, and B) have a rattle -- it seems there is more "play" in these keys between the slider and switch mount than in the keys without the rattle. Perhaps I got the odd lemon from a production run of Novatouch boards.

In any event, during the past few days of testing various Topre-switch models, when I come back to the Realforce 87ub 55g, it is like a breath of fresh air -- the Realforce definitely sounds and feels like the highest quality board of the bunch. However, the HHKB Pro remains a contender in my book because of its unique charm, embodied in its 60% form factor and superb layout.

Question: back to the Novatouch -- Do you prefer the sound and feel of the board with or without O-rings?

jacobolus

09 Sep 2014, 04:55

Hypersphere: if you add some plastic wrap on all your “rattly” keys, does that eliminate the rattle?

Hypersphere

09 Sep 2014, 18:56

jacobolus wrote: Hypersphere: if you add some plastic wrap on all your “rattly” keys, does that eliminate the rattle?
No. The plastic wrap treatment takes care of keys that have loose-fitting keycaps, but it seems to do nothing for the keys that rattle.

This rattle is different from the stabilizer rattle in the stabilized keys, such as the Shift keys, Backspace, and Spacebar. There are 1x keys on my Novatouch that rattle. I've taken the keycaps off these keys and found that the rattle seems to originate with the sliders not fitting as closely in the switch housing as the keys that do not rattle.

Overall, given the number of apparent imperfections in at least this one Novatouch, it seems that CM might have some quality control issues that need to be addressed for future production runs of this model of keyboard.

Raijin665

27 May 2016, 00:44

I *just* fixed my loose fitting HolyOOPS keys. I used Glad Cling Wrap to get the keys to stick better. Worked great. Don't use too much though or the keys will press in squishy. A small amount is all that's needed. I folded a very small piece for three loose fitting keys and they depress and function exactly as though they fit properly from the beginning. This is a very easy and cheap method of fixing this issue, and I got the idea from the various replies to this thread. Though it's worth mentioning some fit is still to be desired. The keys depress normal but they can still be wobbled, though this substantially reduced it. And the wobble is comparable to stock wobbling, though it is a bit more. Hope this helps someone.

Return to “Keyboards”