Unicomp Model M Keycap Colors

sean4star

10 Sep 2014, 16:39

I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place, but I did a search and couldn't find anything on the subject.

I'm interested in purchasing some of the custom model m caps from Unicomp. So a few questions:
1. Which colors are the standard model m design? I'm guessing pearl/pebble, but would love confirmation.
2. How well will these match my original model m keys?

Thanks for the help!

Hypersphere

10 Sep 2014, 16:43

sean4star wrote: I'm not sure if I've posted this in the right place, but I did a search and couldn't find anything on the subject.

I'm interested in purchasing some of the custom model m caps from Unicomp. So a few questions:
1. Which colors are the standard model m design? I'm guessing pearl/pebble, but would love confirmation.
2. How well will these match my original model m keys?

Thanks for the help!
Yes, pearl/pebble is correct for the standard M design.

I find that they match rather well, although if you are really picky about an exact match, you might want to use all Unicomp or all original IBM on a given keyboard.

Unicomp also does a good job on some of their custom printing, and they are a good source of blanks in various colors.

sean4star

10 Sep 2014, 16:57

Wonderful!

Thanks for the info.

Madhias
BS TORPE

10 Sep 2014, 20:56

The colors of the caps itself fit, i only see a difference on pictures but not in reality but i would not mix and match the Unicomp printed caps with original IBM caps, since the lettering / printing quality doesn't fit to original caps. It depends of course to your needs, maybe in the F-row it's not a big problem, or you just don't care.

Here are two pictures: the 'Enter' keycaps are from top left to top right in clock wise direction (hope i remember it correctly):

- '86 Model M 1390120
- replacement Enter from http://www.clickykeyboards.com/
- '91 Model M SSK 1391472
- '87 Model M SSK 1391472
- '14 Unicomp cap

- F3 from '86 Model M 1390120
- F3 from '91 Model M SSK 1391472
- F3 from '87 Model M SSK 1391472
- F3 from '14 Unicomp

sean4star

11 Sep 2014, 00:13

Unicomp's legends seem to be quite a bit thicker. Plus the edges of the characters look like they are almost blocked vs the rounded on the originals. Small differences, but the originals are a little more elegant looking to me.

Return to “Keyboards”