Topre PBT Spacebars

Topre Enthusiast

12 Dec 2014, 13:51

I think it would depend on the colours available but assuming they looked good I'd go option 1

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2014, 13:53

2x black, 2x white, and 1x random would make a fine set. What would the cost be selling them 5 at a time for instance?

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2014, 13:58

Black and White spacebars won't be sold singularly due to the high MOQ. If you want all colors you have to buy 7 spacebars (2 black, 2 white, 3 colored). We may apply some discount on 7+ anyway, I have no clue how much that would be though.

One random... I don't know. Risky :)

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2014, 14:09

Expect pink. Be pleasantly surprised! Maybe…

cookie

12 Dec 2014, 14:14

I will probably take 4 white then!

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2014, 14:15

Just out of interest: anyone got a white Topre spacebar they could pose alongside Granite's PBT spacebar? I'm interested to see the profiles and colour.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2014, 15:06

This would be the "Purchase Intent" form (more than Interest check, less than pre-order :) )

http://goo.gl/forms/UQFSVWm3sL

Price is set to $9.50, it's realistic but not final. If we miss the target by a bunch of spacebars I could raise it a little. If the interest check goes very well we could lower it.

Black/Dark-gray and White/Light-gray are matched with the original Topre spacebars. Color matching for the two costs about $600 and has 99% accuracy.

Mechanicalkeyboards.com seems to be very interested in "sponsoring" this group buy. If this initial phase goes very well they might take the full initial cost on their shoulders.

This "preorder" is not binding but please try to be realistic. All those who fill this first form will get some kind of benefit. Maybe a discount, maybe they will receive the spacebars first or I don't know. Please if you are interested it is crucial to participate in this first initial phase.

The email doesn't need to be a paypal account. When we are ready to take money you'll be contacted with payment information. Please note that lead time will be no less than 3 months! I will follow you through the whole process, I won't let you down, I will update even if there are no updates. Start saving. Don't say I didn't warn you.

The quantity needed to proceed with the actual order is fixed at "a-fück-load"! Let's say that 1000 spacebars would simply raise an eyebrow.

Like all my GBs you won't have much time to decide. Act fast if you want early bird benefit!

You can change your order any time; when you submit you are given an "edit" link OR just submit a new order using the same email address (username doesn't count).
Last edited by matt3o on 12 Dec 2014, 15:44, edited 2 times in total.

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2014, 15:08

Early bird, eh? Sign me up for 3 white ones. (Or rather: I just did.)

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2014, 15:15

the color preference of those who don't buy the color pack has a lower relevance :P (of course)

Hypersphere

12 Dec 2014, 15:16

I've signed up. Didn't see a choice for white, however.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2014, 15:18

Hypersphere wrote: I've signed up. Didn't see a choice for white, however.
yeah I wanted to add pure white and pure black... but they are really close to the original ones and I don't want to create confusion.

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2014, 15:21

Good move.

But still definitely make red spacebars even if I'm not buying…

Hypersphere

12 Dec 2014, 15:37

matt3o wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: I've signed up. Didn't see a choice for white, however.
yeah I wanted to add pure white and pure black... but they are really close to the original ones and I don't want to create confusion.
I understand "dark gray" in Topre parlance, but the nearest choice to white appeared to be "light gray". I thought that light gray was the color of the mods on the HHKB Pro 2 and that they called the alpha keys "white". So, if we want "black", I assume we should select "dark gray", but if we want white, which color should we select? Or is white not an option? Thanks!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2014, 15:40

Light Gray = Topre White
Dark Gray = Topre Black

sorry for the confusion

Hypersphere

12 Dec 2014, 15:42

matt3o wrote: Light Gray = Topre White
Dark Gray = Topre Black

sorry for the confusion
No problem! Thank you for the clarification!

Muirium
µ

12 Dec 2014, 15:42

Black/Dark Gray ~$9.50
This is color matched to Topre dark gray color. Minimum order 2 pieces

White/Light Gray ~$9.50
This is color matched to Topre white (very light gray) color. Minimum order 2 pieces
Hard to find this confusing… they're the main course!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2014, 15:46

I was calling them white and black and people went all "but it's noooot black and it's not puuuure white".

Hard to make everybody happy :)

Hypersphere

12 Dec 2014, 15:47

Muirium wrote:
Black/Dark Gray ~$9.50
This is color matched to Topre dark gray color. Minimum order 2 pieces

White/Light Gray ~$9.50
This is color matched to Topre white (very light gray) color. Minimum order 2 pieces
Hard to find this confusing… they're the main course!
I didn't see this earlier when I signed up. Either the descriptions were updated or I somehow missed seeing them.

In any event, it is great to see this moving forward toward eventual reality. Thanks, matt3o!!!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2014, 15:48

Hypersphere wrote: I didn't see this earlier when I signed up. Either the descriptions were updated or I somehow missed seeing them.
I added "white/light gray" and "black/dark gray" so now it should be clear (but the notes under the title were there before :P)

Hypersphere

12 Dec 2014, 15:52

matt3o wrote:
Hypersphere wrote: I didn't see this earlier when I signed up. Either the descriptions were updated or I somehow missed seeing them.
I added "white/light gray" and "black/dark gray" so now it should be clear (but the notes under the title were there before :P)
My vision was blurred by tears of joy over this sterling opportunity. ;)

cookie

12 Dec 2014, 15:53

I am in for 4 white/light gray spacebars!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2014, 15:56

@Hypersphere, would you mind linking http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/top ... ml#p198600 in your first post?

Hypersphere

12 Dec 2014, 15:59

@matt3o, If we wish to revise our initial purchase intent, how should we do this to avoid duplication or confusing the system (or confusing ourselves)? Thanks.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2014, 16:01

Hypersphere wrote: @matt3o, If we wish to revise our initial purchase intent, how should we do this to avoid duplication or confusing the system (or confusing ourselves)? Thanks.
send as many orders as you want, only the last one is counted (previous ones discarded). The email address is used as ID.

Khers

12 Dec 2014, 16:43

Signed up for a small bunch! Hope that we reach MOQ!

ne0phyte
Toast.

12 Dec 2014, 17:47

Oh boy, I really want this to happen. I only have one Topre keyboard but I somehow ended up signing up for 2x black, 2x white and one color pack :mrgreen:

If my HHKB would break I'd immediately order a new one anyway :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2014, 17:58

Tomorrow I will post a status update with number of orders and preferred colors

cookie

12 Dec 2014, 18:00

ne0phyte wrote: Oh boy, I really want this to happen. I only have one Topre keyboard but I somehow ended up signing up for 2x black, 2x white and one color pack :mrgreen:

If my HHKB would break I'd immediately order a new one anyway :lol:
I can sell you one, so you have backup one!
Cheeep cheep, guud price!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

12 Dec 2014, 18:15

oh almost forgot... there's a catch...

to speed the prototyping phase I have to provide BSP with a topre keyboard............ I'll fight to have it back of course, but still someone has to sacrifice a beloved topre to the altar of PBT spacebar

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

12 Dec 2014, 18:18

Just signed for 2 black and 2 white. Thanks for doing this matt3o!

Return to “Keyboards”