I need help with remapblock for European IBM

fohat
Elder Messenger

13 Nov 2014, 01:42

I have been asked to remap some keys on an IBM Model F 122-key terminal with a Soarer's/Teensy. Most of it seems pretty straightforward, such as the 1x key between "Z" and a 1.25x Left Shift should be found automatically, and the Backslash being in a different place with ISO-style Enter.

Is there a "media eject" code? I cannot find it in Soarer's Modified HID Code set (or perhaps I am going blind).

dorkvader

13 Nov 2014, 06:38

if "media eject" you mean the mac OS X functionality: I believe that's a special USB thing, not an actual scancode.

There was a topic about it on GH, if I recall corectly. Let me see what else I can dig up.

I think OS X treats one of the normal function keys as "eject". I think it's F12.

If you want to eject media with *nix or windows, there are other ways.

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2014, 14:20

F12 does the trick for optical drives. OS X adds a bit of a safety delay, so it's not instantaneous but about 0.5 seconds of holding it down should eject the optical. On Macs old enough to even have those…

Apple replaced the Eject key on its own laptop keyboards with the power key some time ago. Only time until it's gone from the desktops, too, as none of those have optical drives any more either.

Ejecting other media (like USB drives and network shares) when they are selected in the Finder is Command + E. Also works for discs.

dorkvader

13 Nov 2014, 20:03

Muirium wrote: F12 does the trick for optical drives. OS X adds a bit of a safety delay, so it's not instantaneous but about 0.5 seconds of holding it down should eject the optical. On Macs old enough to even have those…

Apple replaced the Eject key on its own laptop keyboards with the power key some time ago. Only time until it's gone from the desktops, too, as none of those have optical drives any more either.

Ejecting other media (like USB drives and network shares) when they are selected in the Finder is Command + E. Also works for discs.
Thanks for the good apple info. I only know it from the repair side. Currently apple only sells one computer with an optical drive (baseline (non-retina) 13" MBP), since they recently removed it from the iMac when they made it thin and from the mac pro when they made it round. They took it away from the mac mini a while ago. I recognized a while ago that they would soon take it away and good riddance too.

Muirium
µ

13 Nov 2014, 21:37

We just got our first Apple Store here in Edinburgh after literally a decade of rumours. (Glasgow's had one for donkey's years.) I had a look round, and was surprised to see that lonely old machine even exists. It's so chunky compared to every other laptop Apple makes. It's like I brought in my old PowerBook!

They only just ditched selling the last iPod with a spinning hard drive recently. Sometimes Apple's a remarkably slow mover. Penny pinchers! But I'll forgive them now I've seen that 5K iMac…

Return to “Keyboards”