Non-Enthusiast Preferences Among Enthusiast Keyboards

Hypersphere

11 Jan 2015, 19:36

We enthusiasts have our keyboard preferences based on considerations of such things as form factor, layout, switch type, keycaps, aesthetics, sound, and feel. I was wondering how our preferences might agree or differ from those held by non-enthusiasts in our midst, such as spouses, significant others, friends, or colleagues.

For example, today I had three 60% keyboards on my desk. All had black or dark gray modifiers and white alpha keys. My wife was curious about the differences among these keyboards that outwardly looked the same (V60MTS-C, V60MTS-Q, and HHKB Pro 2). The V60MTS-Q and HHKB Pro 2 are shown below. The V60MTS-C looks exactly like the V60MTS-Q.
V60MTS+HHKB.jpg
V60MTS+HHKB.jpg (927.48 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
I explained that while they looked the same and they were all mechanical keyboards, they were rather different inside, owing to different switch types. I typed a few words on each, and she immediately chose her favorite, based on sound alone. She much preferred the V60MTS-C. When I asked why, she said, "Because it makes a happy clicking sound. The others sound unhappy, as if they were shackled in rubber chains." She did add that if I were to use the Matias Click keyboard at work that nearby colleagues might not like the happy clicking sound. I haven't tested this yet.

Although my wife and I agree on my current favorite keyboard, she is indifferent to real or perceived keyboard quality for her own use, and despite my many offers to replace her keyboard with something better, she is quite content to keep using her mushy rubber-dome Dell.

Muirium
µ

11 Jan 2015, 19:44

There's definitely a visceral attraction towards clicky boards among newcomers. I was that way myself when I first showed up. MX blue 4evah! Well, except I got an IBM XT before I even touched an MX board, and that recalibrated my expectations!

One of my brothers is determined that scissor switch keyboards with next to no travel are superior to mechs, period. That's despite him actually enjoying the feel of my NovaTouch and IBMs when offered a shot on them. One point he makes is sound though: he's a 100% laptop user and a keyboard really must be integrated to make sense to him. I use a mech on my lap often enough when typing on my MacBook Pro, but the real scenario for heavy mech usage is at my standing desk right here. Heavy IBMs shine admirably when supported by a desk!

My oldschool desktop PC gaming friend, meanwhile, sticks to his miserably worn and mushy rubberdome board. He could really use an upgrade. I've seen his typing! I swear he's one of the least accurate typists I've ever encountered who does it every day. But something stops him from considering his keyboard in the same light as his other prized input devices: joysticks and pedals, which he lavishes attention on.

Come on, newbs, you can see we're the ones who really care about this stuff. Just give our recommendations a try and stop fighting!

beltet

18 Jan 2015, 01:13

My girlfriend usalky rolls her eyes when I come home with new keyboard stuff. But it seems like she kinda likes the idea with my 60's keyboards(mostly because of the aesthetics). And the feel on them. But we don't disqus that much about the keyboards. I tries sometime to get a hint that I made a good buy. But gets mostly " its good". What she really appreciate is a quiet keyboard(we live in a really small apartment). With that said she hates bucklings. I will try to get a review from her as well.
My son that is 1.5 years seems to like every keyboard the dad likes, he even tries to pull keycaps with the keycap puller :D

deeyay

18 Jan 2015, 20:20

My girlfriend surely knows my fetish for retro keyboards by now. Herself she hasn't got a clue about anything about keyboards and she has her laptop for everyday use.

However when I type on a clicky keyboard (specially Cherry MX Blue) she can shine up and tell me "I rekognize that sound" and she thinks it sounds like an old typewriter almost and gets somewhat nostalgic. She definitely likes the sound they make.

My daughter (13 year old) thinks clicky keyboards are "scary" and do not like them. She does not like the feedback either when pressing. She prefers linear switches and I gave her my Quickfire Rapid with Cherry Red and she loves it. She is a heavy gamer though.

I tend to agree though clicky keyboars seems to make the most people shine in general and react and say it sounds "old".

Hypersphere

18 Jan 2015, 20:40

Clicky keyboards = old and scary. Makes me sad to see this! It would be good to educate people so that they think of clicky keyboards as nostalgic, cool retro, and intriguing. Nevertheless, it is interesting to see the reactions across generations.

ideus

19 Jan 2015, 03:06

My daughter has asked me about them sometimes, mainly because of appearance. Once she asked me to use my Poker, so I let her to use it, after an hour or so she returned it back, and told me that she needs arrows. My wife has never been interested but when she found my big box of key caps, she said, if you are not using them you should trash them, they are using too much space.

araif

23 Jan 2015, 23:25

ideus, I have space if you want, your wife would be happy!

ideus

24 Jan 2015, 03:33

Ha ha, I will take care of her not getting in contact with any of you guys.

Abra

25 Jan 2015, 10:24

My brother in law his face lit up when i let him type on my IBM model M. He liked the sound and touch and could appreciate the "retro" aesthetic. He started wondering if any of his old relatives might have had some clickey keyboards stashed on their attics.

I don't think he would use one though as he uses a laptop and wants on the fly mobility. I did consider buying him a model M if I could find one cheap. I don't think my sister would be happy with that though. :lol:

Oh and as bonus, my little nephew of 15 months loves mashing on my keyboards. I gave him the CM switch tester to play around with. Start them young! :mrgreen:

Muirium
µ

25 Jan 2015, 13:25

So long as the caps aren't on it. Don't want a choking hazard!

Laptop-centricity is what keeps a lot of people away from good keyboards. The whole concept of a separate board to the one in their laptop is unappealing. You're either a desktop person or a laptop person… those of us who use laptops static are the most confused!

Abra

25 Jan 2015, 14:50

He only wants to chew on Original Cherry Dye subs! So I don't have to worry! :lol:

Hypersphere

25 Jan 2015, 17:28

I enjoy the labels on items from places where English is not the first language. Recently, a warning on a plastic bag said, "To avoid suffocation, keep away from children". Yes, indeed! ;)

Madhias
BS TORPE

25 Jan 2015, 21:44

Funny, but also interesting thread, Hypersphere! Your wife must have been bored or very in love when she's interested in your keyboards, probably. My wife thinks the Realforce 87U does not look good, old fashioned, and feels boring. She hates the Filco with MX Greens and Whites, because of the annoying click sound (here we have the same opinion), but likes the feeling of the switches. Somehow she likes rather Model M keyboards, because they are looking old, and do not sound annoying for a clicky keyboard. And the Beamspring? I cleaned it, got the case powder coated back, put it on the desk and she said: "Now this keyboard looks like shit. Why are you spending money for scrap metal?" The Beamspring is for her the tip of the iceberg of all old keyboards.

I can't imagine one buying a HHKB or Topre keyboard as first not 'normal' keyboard, or maybe an expensive korean custom board.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

25 Jan 2015, 21:49

Madhias wrote: And the Beamspring? I cleaned it, got the case powder coated back, put it on the desk and she said: "Now this keyboard looks like shit. Why are you spending money for scrap metal?" The Beamspring is for her the tip of the iceberg of all old keyboards.
:lol:

Daniel Beardsmore

25 Jan 2015, 21:57

No wonder it's only the pikeys and chavs that breed …

Return to “Keyboards”