Keyboard hunt - IBM Model M dated 1989-06-28

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

06 Feb 2015, 21:00

I'm looking for a Model M keyboard that was "born" on this date. (It's my wife's birthday.) If you have one post a photo here please!

(cross posted on GH as well)

clickykeyboards

06 Feb 2015, 22:10

For 1989 model M dates, you are probably looking for a 1391401 Made by IBM.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key ... LBY4i7eNYg

We checked our database of 2,257 model M's from 1987-1993

..and good news was IBM did make 1391401's on that specific date

But we sold it almost 10 years ago on September 2005.

If you would like, we can try to contact him/her on your behalf and inquire with the previous buyer to see if they are interested in getting touch with you.

In the past, we have been able to help buyers and sellers find specific dated keyboards.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

09 Feb 2015, 01:42

Nice find! Hmm. Sure, please contact the buyer, maybe they're willing to trade for a similar keyboard. It's a long shot but why not? Thanks!

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

18 Feb 2015, 17:07

My wife says that anything in June of '89 would be acceptable. Maybe I'll find something this weekend.

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

25 Feb 2015, 15:11

Got one that was born on 30th of june 1989, iso de though.

Halvar

25 Feb 2015, 15:16

To import it from Germany and do a bolt mod to convert it to ANSI -- that's true love! :mrgreen:

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Feb 2015, 16:58

guk wrote: Got one that was born on 30th of june 1989, iso de though.
Photo?

Just the bottom case would be sufficient for my needs, I could transfer some internals around. That would save on shipping. Maybe Mu can bring it over with him. He'll need a suitcase for bringing his beam spring home anyway... :-P

I found a July 1989 Model M this past weekend. It's a weird one with an unusable controller board, odd cable guides, a missing cable and unusual key caps. It is also missing many keys. I'll take photos some time.

I'm going to keep looking for the correct date. One must be out there!

eldorange

25 Feb 2015, 17:56

wow...this one true love for keyboards and for a wife...hopefully you can find the the owner who bought the IBM Model M keyboard years ago from clickykeyboards....

clickykeyboards

25 Feb 2015, 18:27

ClickyKeyboards tried to contact the previous buyer of the 28 JUN 1989 to see if they were interested in arranging a sale or trade, but the original buyer's email address (from 2005) appears to be inactive in 2015.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

25 Feb 2015, 18:34

Thank you clickykeyboards for trying. You're the best.

Would you consider writing them a written letter? I can cover the cost of postage if that is an issue. I would be happy to offer a reasonable keyboard as a trade, to buy it outright, or to fund the purchase of a similar replacement. I will understand if they do not wish to do so. If we are unable to contact them so be it.

No hurry, I've been looking for years...

clickykeyboards

25 Feb 2015, 18:47

Sure.. I will send them a postcard at the last known physical mailing address. I'll ask them to email me if they are interested and will forward them your offer details and then leave it the two of you work out the details.

Model M keyboards are those unique items which have serial number and date-specific information which helps to make each model M keyboard personal and unique.

I can only imagine what 22nd century historians will say when they question as to how and why IBM made this unique production decision.

redkeys

25 Feb 2015, 23:35

Good luck with the search! Very cool thing that you are doing.

Return to “Keyboards”