Is Geekhack down?

kebby

27 Jun 2015, 10:44

webwit wrote: That script seems a bit peculiar, I was expecting something more sophisticated. That's no DDoS, but a stupid one-on-one wrestling match. I hope his cheap ISP router didn't catch fire. Such a silly attack shouldn't be getting past any firewall.
Seemed to be running it from Amazon EC2 in the video.

scottc

27 Jun 2015, 10:45

Yeah, definitely EC2. Amazon would lose their shit if this was reported to them. Then again, GeekHack should probably have a firewall... :lol:

Oh nooo!!!!111!!! LARGE-SCALE DDOS!!!111oen!!!!

baldgye

27 Jun 2015, 11:04

The one thing I dislike about Geekhack is when anyone asks to donate or if GH needs money/help to keep going they are basically told; "no, mind your own business", and then stuff like this happens and then GH is just down, with no timeline for it coming back up...

It fucking sucks that a DDOS essentially kills the whole forum for days, after R00tw0rm I thought maybe we had gotten past this shit

photekq
Cherry Picker

27 Jun 2015, 11:12

baldgye wrote: The one thing I dislike about Geekhack is when anyone asks to donate or if GH needs money/help to keep going they are basically told; "no, mind your own business", and then stuff like this happens and then GH is just down, with no timeline for it coming back up...

It fucking sucks that a DDOS essentially kills the whole forum for days, after R00tw0rm I thought maybe we had gotten past this shit
Still hosted on iMav's home server :?

The website has no real upkeep costs, so any donations go elsewhere.. :roll:

At least that's what I heard. Please do correct me if I'm wrong.

scottc

27 Jun 2015, 11:18

People keep saying DDoS, but you know it stands for "Distributed Denial of Service"... this "attack" doesn't seem to be distributed in any sense of the word.
photekq wrote:
baldgye wrote: The one thing I dislike about Geekhack is when anyone asks to donate or if GH needs money/help to keep going they are basically told; "no, mind your own business", and then stuff like this happens and then GH is just down, with no timeline for it coming back up...

That's pretty shitty...

baldgye

27 Jun 2015, 11:21

photekq wrote:

But even if that's true, I mean, I'm no web expert wouldn't investing in some kind of protection (or was mentioned by users far more knowledgeable than me) or a firewall, to you know, protect against these kind of amateur hour attacks factor into any running costs? Given that Geekhack has been the subject of attack before?
scottc wrote: People keep saying DDoS, but you know it stands for "Distributed Denial of Service"... this "attack" doesn't seem to be distributed in any sense of the word.
I only used DDOS because that's what people have been calling it...
Last edited by baldgye on 27 Jun 2015, 11:23, edited 1 time in total.

wlhlm
~

27 Jun 2015, 11:22

scottc wrote: People keep saying DDoS, but you know it stands for "Distributed Denial of Service"... this "attack" doesn't seem to be distributed in any sense of the word.
When the Twitter page says "DDoS", how do you know it's not? I'm pretty sure the admins know the difference.

scottc

27 Jun 2015, 11:23

wlhlm wrote:
When the Twitter page says "DDoS", how do you know it's not? I'm pretty sure the admins know the difference.
Did you see the video posted on the previous page of the person claiming to be responsible? Doesn't look very distributed to me... :lol:

kebby

27 Jun 2015, 11:27

photekq wrote: Still hosted on iMav's home server :?

The IP whois data does seem to suggest it's at least located in a data center. Wonder what kind of traffic GH gets, would be nice if they could have a setup with a lower latency to Europe.

scottc

27 Jun 2015, 11:29

kebby wrote:

The IP whois data does seem to suggest it's at least located in a data center. Wonder what kind of traffic GH gets, would be nice if they could have a setup with a lower latency to Europe.
Proof here: http://whois.urih.com/record/65.111.241.205/
Surprising! I would have fully believed it was a home server...

wlhlm
~

27 Jun 2015, 11:30

scottc wrote:
kebby wrote:

Proof here: http://whois.urih.com/record/65.111.241.205/
Surprising! I would have fully believed it was a home server...
How on earth would that withstand a Clack sale? :evilgeek:

scottc

27 Jun 2015, 11:51

Hahahaha, very good point! :lol: Now THAT's a DDoS.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

27 Jun 2015, 12:46

Yep. This is no DDOS, just a DOS.

DanielT
Un petit village gaulois d'Armorique…

27 Jun 2015, 13:20

Funny fact of life in Romanian DOS means ASS or Arse/Feck/Girls :lol:

matt3o
-[°_°]-

27 Jun 2015, 14:06

DDoS protection is incredibly expensive while flood attacks are incredibly cheap. There's very little a small community can do, if not wait until it lasted.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

27 Jun 2015, 15:15

If GH doesn't come back up I bet there will be a few more new registrations here in the coming weeks and months. :evilgeek:

pwnnarwhal

27 Jun 2015, 15:53

Yeah they said it would be down for the weekend, which doesn't make any sense if the attack is over...

inanis

27 Jun 2015, 16:13

Seems like this kid must belive that GH is involved in actual "hacking" and is now trying to make a statement. He threatened to do more but then deleted the tweet. What a great statement to make, take a small keyboard community offline That'll get you places. :roll:

I miss Geekhack. Is it really going to be down all weekend?

kebby

27 Jun 2015, 16:18

pwnnarwhal wrote: Yeah they said it would be down for the weekend, which doesn't make any sense if the attack is over...
Seriously? I don't understand what they're trying to accomplish with that at all...

Guess there's some similar logic involved as in "making a statement about hacking" by doing a denial of service on an completely innocent community...
Last edited by kebby on 27 Jun 2015, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

pwnnarwhal

27 Jun 2015, 16:19

inanis wrote: Seems like this kid must belive that GH is involved in actual "hacking" and is now trying to make a statement. He threatened to do more but then deleted the tweet. What a great statement to make, take a small keyboard community offline That'll get you places. :roll:

His twitter account isn't showing up for me. He also un-privated one of his videos and changed his name

inanis

27 Jun 2015, 16:30

pwnnarwhal wrote:
inanis wrote: Seems like this kid must belive that GH is involved in actual "hacking" and is now trying to make a statement. He threatened to do more but then deleted the tweet. What a great statement to make, take a small keyboard community offline That'll get you places. :roll:

His twitter account isn't showing up for me. He also un-privated one of his videos and changed his name
I just checked again and now can't get to his account. looks Twitter removed it. I saw that link to the YouTube video but didn't watch it.

SL89

27 Jun 2015, 16:31

At some point somone will report him on youtube as well and that will go down lol.

wlhlm
~

27 Jun 2015, 16:35

Has Cloudflare already published an article about how they could've helped Geekhack mitigate the attack? /s

kebby

27 Jun 2015, 16:48

inanis wrote: I just checked again and now can't get to his account. looks Twitter removed it. I saw that link to the YouTube video but didn't watch it.
Are you sure it's not just he himself who removed it? Twitter has a history of being pretty permissive with these things (which I think is a good thing). lulzsec etc. comes to mind.

dustinhxc

27 Jun 2015, 16:51

Wow you call it geekwhack too? Well now I've lost respect for you. Already did for R.

baldgye

27 Jun 2015, 17:21

dustinhxc wrote: Wow you call it geekwhack too? Well now I've lost respect for you. Already did for R.
I mean, it's not exactly the most scathing dig... I like to think it's used most in irony in DT tho... given how 'high brow' it is...

Halvar

27 Jun 2015, 17:24

dustinhxc wrote: Wow you call it geekwhack too? Well now I've lost respect for you. Already did for R.
ripster wrote the OP. Or someone.

SL89

27 Jun 2015, 17:29

Even ripster doesn't call it that anymore. The joke was never funny and even he admitted it is played out.

wlhlm
~

27 Jun 2015, 17:55

Sorry for reviving this thread, it was the first that came up when looking for "geekhack down". I didn't even notice it in the title.

BlueBär

27 Jun 2015, 19:17

hwood34 wrote: Oh yeah I really do wonder what happened to GH to make it go downhill. Certainly has nothing to do with the flood of redditors with asking the same stupid questions again and again and filling up the boards with shit.
He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

Return to “Geekhacker refugee camp”