CST L-Trac-X

lootbag

18 Feb 2011, 19:06

CST L-Trac-X Quick Review

Hey everyone, here is a quick review of the latest CST L-Trac-X.
This is the one with 3200CPI and the ability to add two more inputs.

This was my latest purchase, been using it for the past month and I am quite happy with it!
I will not show any photos of the internals because they are readily available on geekhack.
Here are my thoughts:

Initial Arrival:
Package arrived relatively fast.
There isn't much packing for the trackball itself, it is held in place by a piece of cardboard in a strong cardboard box.
When I first took it out of the box, it seemed a little cheap to me.

Construction:
The full plastic construction makes it quite light.
However, the plastic molding is not fully even if one looks carefully enough.
I can tell where the plastic supports are underneath the cover.
Maybe the plastic cover layer is too thin.
This does not really bother me much but for such an expensive item, could be better.

For some reason I was expecting an aluminum scroll wheel but it is plastic. That is fine, my fault.
However, the scroll wheel has some horizontal play in it and can shift from side to side.
Once again, another quality issue.
Sort of bothers me but oh well, I can add a washer or something later.

It is easy to take this trackball apart with the 3 screws and always to maintain and mod it yourself with ease.

Price:
I bought it from Fentek-Ind and it was quite expensive for a pointing device.
I was about to go for the Kensington Slimblade but went with this instead because of the high quality.
Another reason was the customizability of this one compared to the others, I always like to tinker.

Usability:
I use this on a daily basis with no issues.
The main reason I wanted a trackball was to relieve some of the strain on my wrists.
Been using many mice with my right hand since I started using computers and it is starting to take its toll.
I am only 21 gee...

I can comfortably use it for many hours with no wrist pain and have even converted to using my left hand with the CST.
I still have a mouse for my right hand when I am 3D modeling as I still have not adjusted to using the CST with that software yet.
For general browsing and some programs such as photoshop, illustrator and CAD, this is a great trackball.
Very easy to adjust.

My only one gripe is that it only has 3 buttons.
I wish it had 2 more for back and forward like mice usually have these days.
I guess I have to mod it soon and add in those two additional inputs :D

The Superior X software is great and simple, lets you assign a plethora of functions to the mouse buttons.
Changing the CPI is super easy too and the color indicators clearly display what setting you have.

Side profiles
I am thinking of adding a wedge of some sort to lift the back end of the trackball.
This will make my wrist more level and closer to horizontal which will in turn relieve more strain on my wrist.

Desk shot!
By the way, thanks webwit for the IBM RGB set!
It is very nice!
Sadly, the stems on 1 Alt and 1 Shift were broken in shipment so I am only using a few of the keycaps.
I will try krazy gluing the broken stems back together!

sixty
Gasbag Guru

18 Feb 2011, 19:14

Very nice review and great pics! So many people posting trackballs lately, I am really getting more and more tempted to buy one.

PS: Shame about the RGB keys. They broke the stems in the inside of the color cap, or the grey stem?

lootbag

18 Feb 2011, 19:29

Yeah after reading about all these trackballs, I hopped on the bandwagon haha.

:(
Alt is not a problem to fix but Shift is.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

18 Feb 2011, 19:31

Do you not have a spare stem from the original keycaps for the Alt key? Or was the keyboard originally single part only?

lootbag

18 Feb 2011, 19:40

Yeah I can swap out the stem on the Alt key, no problem.
Shift key will be a little more work.

noctua

18 Feb 2011, 20:03

I can understand that lootbag like his trackball, i've my CST2545W-RC received
last week, i bought him from ComputerWare..

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

18 Feb 2011, 20:14

Before my CST I had a Kensington Expert Mouse. I miss the KEM's scrollwheel because it didn't involve moving the hand to scroll. However, by all other parameters, the CST was so much better than the KEM that I found the KEM effectively unusable.

webwit
Wild Duck

18 Feb 2011, 20:28

Ouch! Someone must have been dancing on your mail. Let me know if it works out, otherwise I'll send you a new shift.

kidchunks

04 Mar 2011, 03:14

Anyone know if the CST2545W comes with the 2 extra button leads on the pcb? I don't mind drilling a hole in the casing if thats all that separates the switch adapted version from this one.

noctua

04 Mar 2011, 09:29

CST uses the same PCB layout on their laser trackballs, each has solder pads for the buttons no. 4 and 5.
ripster has an mod described here.. - so yes drill the holes..

kidchunks

04 Mar 2011, 14:10

noctua wrote:CST uses the same PCB layout on their laser trackballs, each has solder pads for the buttons no. 4 and 5.
ripster has an mod described here.. - so yes drill the holes..
Sweet, I saw his mod but wasn't sure if the CST2545W-RC is in fact the CST2545W. Placing my order today!

ironman31

04 Mar 2011, 16:26

Does the bottom part of your palm consistently stay sweaty when using the trackball? I found this to be the only problem with my CST

lootbag

05 Mar 2011, 15:24

Mine does not get sweaty.
I think that will vary from person to person.
I also always try to keep my wrist hovering above and not resting on the palmrest.

notlofty

05 Mar 2011, 17:18

Trackballs look pretty nice, but this one is so expensive. Is it worth it to get this trackball over a much cheaper kensington one? How would you rate this product out of 10?

lootbag

08 Mar 2011, 04:22

If I had to do it all over again, I think I would try the Kensington Slimblade.
Each trackball has its positives and negatives, you just have to try to decide which is better suited for you.

kidchunks

09 Mar 2011, 21:45

lootbag wrote:If I had to do it all over again, I think I would try the Kensington Slimblade.
Think you would of preferred the slimblade?

pita

09 Mar 2011, 22:13

21 is about the age when I decided to go for a trackball

lootbag

09 Mar 2011, 23:34

kidchunks wrote:
lootbag wrote:If I had to do it all over again, I think I would try the Kensington Slimblade.
I think I went for the customizability factor but I do miss the 2 additional buttons that I usually use for back and forward. The slimblade has them but you have to mod the L-Trac to get them.

kidchunks

10 Mar 2011, 00:03

lootbag wrote:
kidchunks wrote:
I think I went for the customizability factor but I do miss the 2 additional buttons that I usually use for back and forward. The slimblade has them but you have to mod the L-Trac to get them.
I tried but I couldn't get use to the layout of the slim blade. I would have to move my hand off the ball to click the lower buttons.

lootbag

10 Mar 2011, 01:31

kidchunks wrote:I tried but I couldn't get use to the layout of the slim blade. I would have to move my hand off the ball to click the lower buttons.
Yeah, I was thinking that would be the case for me as well.
Also, the fact that I could add two more switches, any type of switch I should add, and could position them anywhere on my desk or directly on the either side of the trackball, appealed to me as well.

kidchunks

11 Mar 2011, 02:21

So, just got mine in the mail today and after about an hour of using with it I can say this is the best trackball I've ever used. It was worth every penny! :D

- Scroll wheel is smooth just like my g500 in free mode (without the continuous spinning of course).
- Stock ball is decent and tracking will get smoother onces you've given your ball all few spins.

The only issue is when you use the superior-x software to change the button functions, it affects any other mouse connected.

I use the l-trac on my left hand so left click is set to the right button and right click is set to the left button (I know..strange).

But this also effect my mouse on my right hand.

Anyone else experience this or know how to fix this? I'll still like to gaming using my g500 (or any serious graphic work) but keep it connected and not have to swap settings each time I want to use it.

lootbag

11 Mar 2011, 20:06

No idea how to fix your issue.
I have mine on the left side of the keyboard and a mouse on the right as well.

For some weird reason, I left it the way it was and now have converted to navigating my monitors with my left hand.
Left clicking with my pinky/ring fingers, right clicking with my index finger/thumb and middle finger used for scrolling and middle button.

I have been a righty all my life as well.
Now I only use the mouse with my right hand when I am doing more accuracy critical applications (CAD, 3D modeling).

kidchunks

11 Mar 2011, 21:25

lootbag wrote:No idea how to fix your issue.
For some weird reason, I left it the way it was and now have converted to navigating my monitors with my left hand.
Left clicking with my pinky/ring fingers, right clicking with my index finger/thumb and middle finger used for scrolling and middle button.
I had it on default as well, but found highlighting/clicking to be a problem with my pinkie. It feels I have more control left clicking and dragging with my thumb.

I'll give the left click on the pinkie/ring finger another try. :D

kidchunks

13 Mar 2011, 18:26

Hey lootbag, how does the pool ball compare to the stock ball? Notice any difference in the smoothness of tracking?

lootbag

14 Mar 2011, 13:40

I don't know if it actually is but it seems a little heavier, no scale or anything to weight each of them.
Tracking is pretty much the same but it "feels" smoother because of the added weight.
But I know ripster should have some info on this, check his L-Trac threads on geekhack.

ripster

14 Mar 2011, 18:53

? They are the same - around 170g.

This is why I invented the RipOmeter. Psychology fools people all the time.

My theory is when the first Kensington/CH Products trackballs Harry in engineering said, "Fred - don't be stupid and custom design a ball. Just order some from the Billards catalog!".

And then Kensington got stupid.

arcanius

17 Mar 2011, 15:04

I wonder if this is a better spend than a new Filco or Leopold. Similar in price, good reviews...
Before, I thought choosing a keyboard was hard enough. Now you have to show me Trackballs! I swear you guys are corporate guys trying to advertise!!!! >:)

kidchunks

18 Mar 2011, 20:43

arcanius wrote:I wonder if this is a better spend than a new Filco or Leopold. Similar in price, good reviews...
Before, I thought choosing a keyboard was hard enough. Now you have to show me Trackballs! I swear you guys are corporate guys trying to advertise!!!! >:)
Even if you don't have a Filco or Leopold, its money well spent. :D
I've been using mine for about two weeks now and love it the more I use it.

Sugoi

16 Apr 2011, 22:58

May I ask which resolution you usually use with the CST trackball?

I'm going to get one too. However, I still have to decide whether to get the model with 1600, 1900, or 3200 cpi.

EDIT: I will mainly use it for Office and internet.
Last edited by Sugoi on 16 Apr 2011, 23:12, edited 1 time in total.

runeazn

16 Apr 2011, 23:00

higher is better :)
nah joking, just try it, everybody has different likiness <><< awesome word :p

Return to “Reviews”