HHKB Pro 2

matt3o
-[°_°]-

16 Jan 2014, 14:22

the golden epitaph is: "you really spent $250 in a keyboard? I spent $6 on my Trust and I can't feel any difference with yours"

ماء

16 Jan 2014, 14:57

Actually keycap colors on HHKB White is white on blue or grey?
i see looks blue sky though EK written grey

CJNE

16 Jan 2014, 15:35

It sure looks blue on many pictures but the standard key caps are grey.

Elrick

17 Jan 2014, 08:50

matt3o wrote:the golden epitaph is: "you really spent $250 in a keyboard? I spent $6 on my Trust and I can't feel any difference with yours"
Nice, but I refuse to let anyone know how much money I've spent on various Key-cap Group Buys over the past 2 years, It would deeply shock many 'normal' people out there.

I'm still like a moth always drawn to another brightly lit Group Buy :oops: .

Hypersphere

30 Jan 2014, 23:36

Still liking my HHKB Pro 2 after some months of constant use. However, Mu's prophesy was correct -- I now wish I had the silenced version. I like the downstroke "thock", but I do not like the upstroke "clack". Nevertheless, there are some limits to my keyboard madness, and I would not want to spend $400 for a silenced HHKB. Moreover, the silent version comes only in white, and I would want a black body with white keycaps. Someday I might try taking my HHKB apart and doing a silencing mod.

Muirium
µ

31 Jan 2014, 01:10

Prophet, at your service.

Naturally, I didn't listen to my bloody self. There was a PFU sale on this Christmas in Japan which had HHKB Pro 2 type S plus a fancy wrist wrest going for a very reasonable price. But I dithered and missed it.

Always to next time!

matt3o
-[°_°]-

31 Jan 2014, 09:41

type S are on sale right now at elitekb

update: double checked, realforces are on sale (sorry)

Hypersphere

01 Feb 2014, 21:42

Muirium wrote:Prophet, at your service.

Naturally, I didn't listen to my bloody self. There was a PFU sale on this Christmas in Japan which had HHKB Pro 2 type S plus a fancy wrist wrest going for a very reasonable price. But I dithered and missed it.

Always to next time!
He who hesitates ... saves money!

Hypersphere

01 Feb 2014, 22:20

matt3o wrote:type S are on sale right now at elitekb

update: double checked, realforces are on sale (sorry)
Yes, the RFs are on sale. The HHKB Pro 2 Type S also had a price reduction -- from USD 400 to 356. Still not much of a bargain. However, considering the difficulty of doing a silencing mod, including the distinct possibility of damaging the stems and decreasing the key travel, it could very well be worth the extra cost to get a factory-made Type S. Moreover, it is apparently not just the addition of some dampening material in the Type S. In addition, the design of the plunger assembly is different, including closer tolerances, as seen in normal vs. Type S in the RF:

http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/best_article/1339790

http://imgur.com/a/8vnHb

mj45

03 Feb 2014, 14:58

Elrick wrote:
matt3o wrote:the golden epitaph is: "you really spent $250 in a keyboard? I spent $6 on my Trust and I can't feel any difference with yours"
Nice, but I refuse to let anyone know how much money I've spent on various Key-cap Group Buys over the past 2 years, It would deeply shock many 'normal' people out there.

I'm still like a moth always drawn to another brightly lit Group Buy :oops: .
I decided to silence my Topre keyboards (RF 87UB 55g & HHKB black) but I didn't want to limit the plunger travel with dental bands. My friend who is a good machinist made me a punch for making thin silencing washers. I used some 0.5mm silicone and some Dycem materiel that was 0.021 in thick. The Dycem was the most effective in achieving total upstroke silence without sacrificing original keystroke feel or travel.
Attachments
Punch + washers
Punch + washers
Silence rings2.jpg (726.93 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
Silence Punch
Silence Punch
Silence rings1.jpg (539.84 KiB) Viewed 5009 times
Silence washers
Silence washers
Silence rings3.jpg (575.24 KiB) Viewed 5009 times

cookie

04 Feb 2014, 18:21

looks great, I had verry nice success with the 0.5mm thick silicone!
I did this on both my keyboards and I am verry satisfied :)

I am verry impressed by the press, I was using a drill press for this. GJ!

Muirium
µ

09 Feb 2014, 11:52

Before Ne0phyte gets too gleeful, the black HHKB is not mine, I'm just proxying it. (White is still better!) But I do like the family tree which led to my own design:
By the way, what comes in an HHKB Pro 2 box? The keyboard and a USB cable, obviously, but is there no extra caps or a puller? This one's second hand and quite bare bones. Great shape, though.

mj45

09 Feb 2014, 13:21

The HHKB comes with a usb cable and some Japanese intructions, that is about it. Lucky for new owners they leave out the Topre keyscratcher that's included with Realforce boards.

Muirium
µ

09 Feb 2014, 13:30

Thanks. All is in order, then.

cookie

11 Feb 2014, 12:49

The apple keyboard looks so lovely :)
Your blue custom keyboard is also verry nice, I like the caps and the layout a lot.

Fully programmable? I am sure it is, why would you spend time and money for a non programmable board?

I am still looking for a 0.5 mm thick foam sheet, if someone knows a source of that I'd be thankfull for informations :)

Muirium
µ

11 Feb 2014, 12:57

Thanks.
cookie wrote:Fully programmable? I am sure it is, why would you spend time and money for a non programmable board?
Exactly! That's the addictive side of mods and customs. My little shiny 60% has Soarer Inside. The original Macintosh keyboard will be programmable too, once I've made Hasu's converter.

Return to “Reviews”