Modded Matias switch comparison

Chyros

24 May 2015, 19:51

Something a little different this time; a comparison of stock and modded Matias switches.

andrewjoy

24 May 2015, 20:03

Cool little video. You can make liner simply by removing the leaf completely.

I have also expreimited with the damper in the switch, i have moved it up so it only dampens the return and not the bottoming out and i quite like that.

Dampened click looks interesting something to try. I like the way you dampen a matias / alps as it does not reduce the travel distance

You can do the liner mod on black alps as well ( best thing for them).

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

24 May 2015, 20:30

Wow, very good review. I don't plan to use matias any time soon but I still enjoyed the video. I think you should do more of these. Especially with that voice ;)

Chyros

24 May 2015, 20:51

andrewjoy wrote: Cool little video. You can make liner simply by removing the leaf completely.

You can do the liner mod on black alps as well ( best thing for them).
Yes, you can make them linear like that, but the way Matias made their linear switches is quite different - they use a straightened leaf instead of a tactile one. So the feeling wouldn't be the same.

I know linear blacks actually feel really decent, they can compete quite well with other types of linear switches. I feel they're underrated though, ESPECIALLY the older model (i.e. NOT the ones in the Dell AT101W) which are actually really nice to use.
Redmaus wrote: Wow, very good review. I don't plan to use matias any time soon but I still enjoyed the video. I think you should do more of these. Especially with that voice ;)
Haha cheers mate :) . I aim to do a full review every other week, and sometimes I have one of these in between. I already have a comparison video like this (a bit more extensive) planned for a later date.

chzel

24 May 2015, 21:46

andrewjoy wrote: Dampened click looks interesting something to try.
In some short tests I did with the K110, I really liked them, it's the best of both worlds. Only problem is that you need twice the switches!

Chyros

25 May 2015, 01:27

chzel wrote:
andrewjoy wrote: Dampened click looks interesting something to try.
In some short tests I did with the K110, I really liked them, it's the best of both worlds. Only problem is that you need twice the switches!
Matias could definitely do with marketing these. They're really quite nice and I think people would be quite interested in trying them out.

Muirium
µ

25 May 2015, 01:52

Mmm… damped clicky. I've been banging on about them for quite a while. Damping is one of the sneakiest advantages of Alps/Matias switches over MX. And they really need to claw back some momentum as the mech keyboard world careens headlong into the MX (clone) singularity. Something with a bit more finesse like this ought to be put to use.

Mind, they're still wobbly though. And not as pleasing as classic complicated Alps. But you can't have it all.

Return to “Reviews”