Split Down the Middle: The Matias Ergo Pro in µReview

HzFaq

07 Jul 2015, 12:55

Dump truck full of pot? I didn't realise that was your thing :D.

bhtooefr

07 Jul 2015, 12:56

Muirium wrote: I'm not 100% against American English by the way. I prefer, for instance, their way of handling compound entities such as Matias the company versus Edgar Matias the man. Over here we say "Matias are", "the government are", "the failed but heroic English women's football team are", etc. which I never noticed as at all wrong until I saw how confusing they are for Americans. The fact that "Matias is" and "the government is" also sound perfectly natural in English English means I just simply use them instead. When I remember.
The funny thing is that I am American, and like the idea of groups being are, individuals being is. Keep in mind that we've got crazy ideas of corporate personhood, and sometimes I wonder if singular forms are reinforcing that.

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

07 Jul 2015, 12:58

HzFaq wrote: Dump truck full of pot? I didn't realise that was your thing :D.
I used to be into that in my younger days. I don't frequent that crowd anymore either. That cash goes into vintage keyboards now.

Muirium
µ

07 Jul 2015, 13:06

bhtooefr wrote: The funny thing is that I am American, and like the idea of groups being are, individuals being is. Keep in mind that we've got crazy ideas of corporate personhood, and sometimes I wonder if singular forms are reinforcing that.
Interesting point. Reminds me of my high school Orwell: Newspeak was designed to make disruptive thoughts impossible to communicate…

Anyway, I still don't like accidentally confusing Americans. It gets in the way of my purposefully confusing them. I like to be in charge of that!

Re: truck o pot or gold. It's not for me. It's for the talent. You can't just expect Emma Watson and co. to show up because you've got a nice idea. You must bribe them! We call it capitalism, dig?

Although I guess a screenplay wouldn't be such a bad idea.

HERMIONE

Harry, you ditzy wanker! This is no time for introspection. We are effing wizards. Pull your trousers up and get your other bloody wand out. The world needs its arse kicked again, and you're the best I've got to watch my back while I go ahead and do it.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

07 Jul 2015, 19:57

I'm now realizing that Harry Potter is actually about female empowerment. Thanks, Mu.

jacobolus

08 Jul 2015, 05:55

Notice that in America corporations count as people, so it makes sense (barf) to apply the associated singular pronouns to them. In most other places, corporations are seen as aggregations rather than singular entities, and get plural pronouns.

Edit: Oh wait, bhtooefr just said the same thing. :)

Spikebolt
√(4) != -2

08 Jul 2015, 19:02

Pretty nice writting, Mu! It would be interesting to try these with the linear version of the switches. It's a shame that the keycaps are so terrible, given that you are unlikely to replace them :(

Muirium
µ

08 Jul 2015, 19:27

Terrible is a strong word. They're not great, but they're not all bad. So long as the legends don't wear off (we are watching!) they're fairly good. Certainly match the keyboard's look.

jacobolus

09 Jul 2015, 04:42

The keycaps are fine, but if you really want you can replace all the standard-ish caps by buying two Apple Extended Keyboard IIs, one ISO version (for the wide left shift/tab/backtick) and one ANSI version. For the non-standard keys, Matias at some point said he’d make them available in PBT. Then just dye everything solid black, and you’re all set.

Return to “Reviews”