KBC POKER - webwit's take

Bern

04 Mar 2011, 17:02

Looks like an interesting keyboard. I'm all for minimalist keyboards.

arcanius

04 Mar 2011, 17:20

I'm wondering if these will have the big Caps Lock key, and if it'll be possible to replace it with one that has the little spacer between it and A. I hate hitting Caps lock all the time, especially when typing and it's mapped to either Control or Backspace. I don't care about the Led, I won't use it anyways, I just hope the stem isn't in an awkward spot or something weird like that.
Also, is it possible to make an AHK script to emulate Numpad? I don't even know what key would toggle it, considering the right Winkeys will be used as arrows.... I have certain programs that need numpad sometimes, and I'd like to be able to at least occasionally use them... maybe something like Control Caps 0-9?
Hope the thing is NKRO over PS/2. It has diodes, I see, but who knows, maybe the controller'll act up with a PS/2 converter, although I don't see any reason why that would happen. It's not a Realforce.

TechwonV

05 Mar 2011, 01:37

I wonder if it will beat a feeling of a Topre..

notlofty

05 Mar 2011, 07:21

Hm, I'm a little disappointed that you didn't rate this keyboard very highly. It almost deterred me from wanting one but I'm still interested in buying it eventually. Maybe pick up one eventually from the classified section of geekhack.

NewGuy

06 Mar 2011, 04:46

While the build quality and reliability of this keyboard looks like it's probably going to be an issue, I do appreciate that someone else is having another go at making an ultra-compact keyboard using mechanical switches. It's interesting that they are also going to be offering MX Reds which seem to be fairly uncommon. I also really like that the USB port is on the left rather than the centre, and that the cable appears to be removable.

Definitely not keen on the black-on-black they use though, would prefer a well-done white-on-black myself.
If the price gets low enough though, it seems like this would probably be a decent option for people wanting the smallest mechanical keyboard they can get without breaking the bank.

Magna224

06 Mar 2011, 05:26

I want to try a small board like that my G80 is huge lol

Taietzel

08 Mar 2011, 14:55

ironman31 wrote:Very good review. I will probably wait until after the first batch ships to order one.
I'm sorry if i missed it but, is there an estimated date of availability?

notlofty

08 Mar 2011, 16:50

Yea, there is a Geekhack group buy open in which it says that they should ship around the end of the month.

webwit
Wild Duck

08 Mar 2011, 17:20

There's now also an interest check here for a European group buy: http://deskthority.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=322&p=5487

Peter

08 Mar 2011, 18:51

I don't get the point of using ONE red cherry switch, FOR ESCAPE !!
It should have been 'WASD' and 'left SHIFT', at the very least ?

sixty
Gasbag Guru

08 Mar 2011, 20:09

Peter wrote:I don't get the point of using ONE red cherry switch, FOR ESCAPE !!
It should have been 'WASD' and 'left SHIFT', at the very least ?
The red switch thing was only for the first 100 "prototype" aka "limited edition" pre-order models. They just put it there for lulz because they can. The blue MX models for example had a rare teal switch there, which was a Cherry production error switch in the 80s!

pat

11 Mar 2011, 14:00

Will get one with red :)

mtl

21 Mar 2011, 03:08

Thanks for the review! One thing I find *very* interesting about this board, is the PCB looks like it would support adding LEDs to each key (though you would have to wire them all up and bring power to them). How much clearance is there between the PCB and bottom of the case?

mtl

22 Mar 2011, 01:39

Looks like sixty is a step ahead of me. Nice job with the WASD LEDs, sixty!

NeverDie

23 Mar 2011, 18:14

Definitely buying the Cherry MX Red switch one.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

23 Mar 2011, 21:48

mtl wrote:Looks like sixty is a step ahead of me. Nice job with the WASD LEDs, sixty!
Heh, thanks! It was really easy to do as well. The Poker is a nice base for almost any possible mod you can think of. I love it.

Ps: Still using my Poker on a daily base, good stuff.

Return to “Reviews”