F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

Muirium
µ

31 Dec 2015, 07:22

Elrick wrote: It's like turning up to your first Group Orgy, you don't know what will happen but someone will show you the way :D .
As compared to a solo orgy?

Because I get the sense from time to time that there's one of those going on here in this thread…

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

31 Dec 2015, 07:31

Elrick's gone through at least three boxes of tissues so far, and orders haven't even opened!

kokokoy

31 Dec 2015, 07:53

Ellipse wrote: kokokoy I made the change in your form to F77.
Thanks Ellipse.

Elrick

31 Dec 2015, 10:18

Techno Trousers wrote: Elrick's gone through at least three boxes of tissues so far, and orders haven't even opened!
You don't need tissues, when I've got you here to wipe up any over flow and there will be heaps of it, when this finally starts :evilgeek: .

Ellipse

02 Jan 2016, 00:03

The factory used the wrong type of packing foam for the prototype units, instead of the styrofoam material I specified. As I want the prototypes to be perfect, even the styrofoam packing, I am waiting until they re-make the styrofoam packaging early next week. This will probably push the date the prototypes arrive to the week of Jan. 11th.

These delays are frustrating but the factory has been very patient and otherwise attentive to such a small project and I am glad they are working with me.

Ellipse

02 Jan 2016, 02:57

I expect to try to obtain and pass along reduced Unicomp keyset pricing, due to me buying from them in bulk and/or because I will ask them for only the keys required for the project and/or requested by each person ordering one.

I know that some of you prefer to pay for and receive the full keyset and I'd like that to stay an option too, but if we can save ~1/3 of the cost of each keyset for most buyers, that could mean a savings of ~$1000 assuming 120 keyset orders that would be passed back to everyone. Some of you may want a future option to change your layout and you'd like the extra new keys, which is also why I'd like to keep that full set as an option.

Here are my proposed product notes for the web site - please let me know if I should change anything before it goes live:

For those ordering keys for their F77, by default the 15 keys on the right side are populated like an SSK: the PrintScreen/Scroll Lock/Pause/Ins/Del/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn keys, some blank keys, and the 4 cursor/arrow keys. If you’d prefer the PC AT-style layout with number keys in that place plus some cursor keys, please let me know. You’ll need to order an extra 1U wide zero key. You can also have a variation with the original big zero key if you buy a horizontal stabilizer insert – just let me know by filling out the note field in the final step of checkout.

To keep things vintage, the packing slip will likely be printed using a dot matrix printer on new old stock dot matrix printer paper :) [note-I bought a used dot matrix printer and some new old stock continuous form green bar paper for this project]

ISO enter key will be included for ISO blank key set.

For HHKB/split right shift and split backspace printed layouts, custom printed keys will be included (if available from Unicomp): Delete key the size of | \, 1U size | \, stepped Ctrl/Ctrl-style Caps Lock, Caps-Lock style Shift, and 1U Fn. For the HHKB set with the non-split backspace, you will not receive the 1U | \ key and the | \-sized backspace key.

HHKB style keysets with blank keys will include the extra caps lock and 1U style keys.

Black blank key sets do not include regular right shift per Unicomp - instead the Caps Lock style key and an extra 1U key will be included.

I am ordering the keys from Unicomp - if their pricing or availability changes I will get in touch with you with options.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (107.87 KiB) Viewed 10510 times

Elrick

02 Jan 2016, 03:05

Ellipse wrote: As I want the prototypes to be perfect, even the styrofoam packing, I am waiting until they re-make the styrofoam packaging early next week. This will probably push the date the prototypes arrive to the week of Jan. 11th.

Hey it happens, just glad you told us about it rather than going all silent or disappearing somewhere never to be heard of again, quite common with Korean Keyboard Organizers these days.

All it means now is that these F77's shall be coveted even more, I keep dreaming about having them in front of me know. It's excruciating to want something this desperately :mrgreen: .

Ellipse

02 Jan 2016, 03:53

In addition to the 5 great condition, complete, used IBM 1391401 key sets that will be sold with this project, I recently acquired 7 M122 key sets at low cost. If anyone is ordering an F77 or F62 with a key set and could really use some financial aid, please PM me and I will try to set a key set aside for you at significantly reduced cost over Unicomp. Unicomp charges $34 for a new key set (including the space bar and stabilizer inserts), while these additional sets should cost about $15 each, including stabilizers. They all have ISO style enter keys so you'd need to add $2 for an ANSI enter key and regular | \ key.

I still have the 5 1391401 keyboards without keys/inserts and will have these 7 M122 keyboards without keys/stabilizer inserts available. The price is dropping from $20 to $15 per incomplete 1391401 and feel free to negotiate a price for the M122s.

bocahgundul
Sell me 5k please

02 Jan 2016, 08:41

Ellipse wrote: In addition to the 5 great condition, complete, used IBM 1391401 key sets that will be sold with this project, I recently acquired 7 M122 key sets at low cost. If anyone is ordering an F77 or F62 with a key set and could really use some financial aid, please PM me and I will try to set a key set aside for you at significantly reduced cost over Unicomp. Unicomp charges $34 for a new key set (including the space bar and stabilizer inserts), while these additional sets should cost about $15 each, including stabilizers. They all have ISO style enter keys so you'd need to add $2 for an ANSI enter key and regular | \ key.

I still have the 5 1391401 keyboards without keys/inserts and will have these 7 M122 keyboards without keys/stabilizer inserts available. The price is dropping from $20 to $15 per incomplete 1391401 and feel free to negotiate a price for the M122s.
I want the full keyset for my f77

seaworthy

02 Jan 2016, 17:16

Ellipse wrote: In addition to the 5 great condition, complete, used IBM 1391401 key sets that will be sold with this project, I recently acquired 7 M122 key sets at low cost. If anyone is ordering an F77 or F62 with a key set and could really use some financial aid, please PM me and I will try to set a key set aside for you at significantly reduced cost over Unicomp. Unicomp charges $34 for a new key set (including the space bar and stabilizer inserts), while these additional sets should cost about $15 each, including stabilizers. They all have ISO style enter keys so you'd need to add $2 for an ANSI enter key and regular | \ key.

The quantity and quality of your work on this project is genuinely respected and appreciated, Ellipse. Regarding the keycaps to be sourced by Unicomp (or others included in the GB), will they be PBT? And will there be options to get Mac modifiers (notably Command)?

Ellipse

02 Jan 2016, 20:13

Thanks seaworthy - I believe unicomp uses PBT but am not sure.

Unicomp says they make mac modifiers but they do not fit on the old keyboards - can anyone confirm any other options for mac modifiers on old Model F/M's? If not you'd need to get a blank key if you don't want it to say "Alt" - Unicomp sells extra wide blank keys for about $2 I think. You can order extra keys through me for this GB.

darkspider

03 Jan 2016, 04:45

Is it an option to order 1.25u black blank key and left-shift?
I want to customize mine partially like ISO.

Ellipse

03 Jan 2016, 06:01

Yes darkspider - you can also choose any international layout that Unicomp sells, including the split left shift. Everyone can also get a mix of layouts - just include a note when you complete the checkout.

darkspider

03 Jan 2016, 06:09

Sounds great! thank you

03 Jan 2016, 21:08

Ellipse wrote: Thanks seaworthy - I believe unicomp uses PBT but am not sure.

Unicomp says they make mac modifiers but they do not fit on the old keyboards - can anyone confirm any other options for mac modifiers on old Model F/M's? If not you'd need to get a blank key if you don't want it to say "Alt" - Unicomp sells extra wide blank keys for about $2 I think. You can order extra keys through me for this GB.
Not sure why Unicomp would say that, they sell an Apple key set (that are mostly 1.5x-1x-1.5x) :

seaworthy

03 Jan 2016, 23:59

0100010 wrote:

Not sure why Unicomp would say that, they sell an Apple key set (that are mostly 1.5x-1x-1.5x) :

Thanks, 0100010. Anyway to be sure if they are PBT caps?

chzel

04 Jan 2016, 00:01

They are IBM/Unicomp. No other option than PBT.

willdenham

04 Jan 2016, 13:41

Can't wait to see this getting off the ground shortly.

I put in an early order for one F62 and one F77, do I need to submit another form if I want to make that two of each? Preferably looking for one in the original beige color and one in industrial green/grey.

Also, for things like the more standardized F77 layouts mentioned in this thread, should we expect to just modify them once we get them to that layout or is that something we need to request if they're assembled completely before we get 'em.

scottc

04 Jan 2016, 13:50

Ellipse - I already have several IBM and Unicomp keysets, so I won't be interested in a full set with my F62. However I'm interested in a HHKB-layout F62, so would it be possible to get just a "HHKB kit"?

Muirium
µ

04 Jan 2016, 17:55

If not, PM me and I can get you something in my Unicomp GB round 2. I assume you'd be after:

a stepped 1.75u Caps Lock key in pebble with a Shift legend on it
a single unit pebble Fn key
a single unit pearl backslash and pipe key
and a 1.5 unit pebble Tab key with Delete legend

Pebble is Unicomp speak for dark mod beige, while pearl is their alphas.

Ellipse

05 Jan 2016, 02:58

Muirium wrote: If not, PM me and I can get you something in my Unicomp GB round 2. I assume you'd be after:

a stepped 1.75u Caps Lock key in pebble with a Shift legend on it
a single unit pebble Fn key
a single unit pearl backslash and pipe key
and a 1.5 unit pebble Tab key with Delete legend

Pebble is Unicomp speak for dark mod beige, while pearl is their alphas.
willdenham - nope no need. I updated your form to 2 each. For the layouts I suggest having the factory get them perfect. Assembly is included in the cost. Otherwise you may need to open up the keyboard yourself and move springs around.

scottc - yep you can get a HHKB kit which should be $10 in parts: it would include the keys Muirium described plus the stepped Ctrl key in the caps lock place and the non-stepped CTRL-style caps lock key. There will be an option on the site to add a cost in $1 increments for custom requests so I do not have to create additional products for each request.

So if anyone wants a custom request they would discuss with me beforehand so I confirm costs and then add the required cost to the cart.

Ellipse

05 Jan 2016, 06:51

Here's an interesting option for those who want to want to get their keyboard a month or so earlier, as early as the end of March/early April instead of May/June: My understanding is that the factory is willing to break the order into two production runs for a tooling/setup fee of $1,500. Meaning they will set up their tooling for this product, make it, then re-set up the tooling for the second and final group for $1,500 extra.

This would mean that we could start production after the order form has been open for 2-3 weeks if we wanted to, for the early birds, and then the second and final order group for everyone else at the end of the two month window, instead of one big run starting in a little over two months from now.

I won't be asking every potential early bird to pay a little extra. Everyone's base price will be $325. Instead I was thinking if 15 people were willing to donate $100 towards the extra early production run, or any combination of "early bird premiums" to get to $1,500, then this would be feasible. I will leave this option up to the DT and GH community ordering these to decide.

Would 15 people gladly pay $100 to have everyone ordering early be able to get their keyboards 4-5 weeks earlier? Feel free to PM me or post if you are interested. Maybe we could arrange some special bonus for these early bird donors, like their user name on the quality control sticker inside the Model F or something like that.

darkspider

05 Jan 2016, 14:21

Yeah, I do want to put my name on the sticker even if there is some payment.

wcass

05 Jan 2016, 21:09

The "old" 104/105 layout had (from left to right) 1.5, 1.25, 1.25, 5.75, 1.25, 1.25, 1.25, 1.5.
The "new" 104/105 layout is 1.5, 1, 1.5, 5.75, 1.25, 1.5, 1, 1.5 - 4 keys are different size.
The "new" layout keys will work fine for this project except we have 7 unit spacebar and that button right of it is not used.

Elrick

06 Jan 2016, 01:01

Suppose this would be a question for Ellipse here;

Would you be able to provide any visual layouts (of keys) for your F62 and F77 keyboards, just so we, the ignorant public, know what we are buying?

I'm of course the MOST ignorant one here so this is a request mainly for myself.

Ellipse

06 Jan 2016, 01:28

Yes I expect to take a photo of the prototypes with split shift layout as well as regular layout when they arrive. Here's one proposed layout on one of my original F77s. You'll be able to configure it to any layout you'd like as long as the original barrels support it.

These keys in the photo are 4704 one piece keys mixed with 1393464 extra bold airline keys from 1988 (probably from a near-new dye sublimation stencils made for the new run of airline keyboards).
f77.jpg
f77.jpg (223.05 KiB) Viewed 9960 times

joey

06 Jan 2016, 01:41

Will the Unicomp keys include those weird alts? Or are they all "normal"?

Ellipse

06 Jan 2016, 01:46

Unicomp keys are normal. No weird keys. All these keys from my original F77 are from special key sets that are no longer made.

Elrick

06 Jan 2016, 03:20

Ellipse wrote:
f77.jpg
Nice arrangements. I shall be choosing this layout from you but can you tell me, is the DELETE key accessible through one key press or do you need to access an "FN" function to make it work?

Please let me know because I hate using two keys at the same time to establish one function ie, Deleting anything which I use a lot of during the course of my work.

The F1 through to F12 printed keys on the front, will they be supplied by Unicomp?

Ellipse

06 Jan 2016, 03:39

Elrick you could make Del the main key - I set the key between right alt and right CTRL as num lock, so you can switch between layers. With num lock off the keys operate as Home, End Del etc. keys without having to press Fn. Or you could make a key Fn key if you'd prefer.

You can also make the right bank like an SSK style with no num pad. It can be configured in the GUI.

Unicomp lists front printed F1 etc. keys as an extra $15 option on their web site.

Return to “Group buys”