F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards

13 Jan 2016, 23:16

Yes - curious to see what the key spacing looks like with all of them in place.

Touch_It

14 Jan 2016, 00:39

Uggg. I really want one, and everything is looking amazing. Maybe I can skip a car payment to buy one? :D

Ellipse

14 Jan 2016, 02:42

One of the forum members generously helped design some really nice logos and a buckling spring animation for the project. They are similar to some of the buckling spring animations floating around different web sites.

These renderings show the graphics as they would appear on a box. I'm not sure where they will end up: on the box, the web site, the manual, etc. I'm going to look into adding one of these graphics to the boxes.
box-draft-final2-a.jpg
box-draft-final2-a.jpg (322.37 KiB) Viewed 7062 times
box-draft-final2-black.jpg
box-draft-final2-black.jpg (331.21 KiB) Viewed 7062 times
box-draft-final2-blue.jpg
box-draft-final2-blue.jpg (343.84 KiB) Viewed 7062 times
box-draft-final2-red.jpg
box-draft-final2-red.jpg (324.29 KiB) Viewed 7062 times
box-draft-final-a.jpg
box-draft-final-a.jpg (323.34 KiB) Viewed 7062 times
box-draft-final-black.jpg
box-draft-final-black.jpg (327.38 KiB) Viewed 7062 times
box-draft-final-blue.jpg
box-draft-final-blue.jpg (339.35 KiB) Viewed 7062 times
box-draft-final-red.jpg
box-draft-final-red.jpg (320.78 KiB) Viewed 7062 times

Madhias
BS TORPE

14 Jan 2016, 04:03

I like it! A modern approach, the logos with the straight and not rotated text are better, or I like them more.

kokokoy

14 Jan 2016, 04:15

Looks great! I'm for the straight text as well.

Ludovician

14 Jan 2016, 04:33

Straight text.

Redmaus
Gotta start somewhere

14 Jan 2016, 05:21

A question, I did the order last year.

Is there a new order sheet I should fill out to do specifics? And can I make a reservation? The price is quite steep for me.

Almost two weeks of straight work.

faycheung

14 Jan 2016, 11:22

So from the top level thread, orders will be open late Jan. Is there any difference between signing up now and ordering by then?

Ludovician

14 Jan 2016, 11:33

What you see right now is an interest check. It won't count as an order.

andrewjoy

14 Jan 2016, 11:57

this one

But with larger bold text

kekstee

14 Jan 2016, 21:06

The last two logos, straight, large text, look amazing.

Also great to see those teaser pics. :P I'm still undecided on the size of that thing.

Ellipse

14 Jan 2016, 23:43

As an update, the factory has shipped the prototypes and they should arrive by the middle of next week! I have ordered prototype split right shift keyboards and Unicomp split right shift, regular layout, black unprinted, regular unprinted, and regular printed keys and will be testing and photographing each of the layouts.

It looks like the early consensus is for the straight text in the logo - any other thoughts?

Red you will go to a web site where you can customize what you want to order. It does not have to match your interest form.

faycheung please do sign the interest form, even if just so I can let you know when orders open (hopefully next week). Orders ship (generally, with some exceptions) in sequence of the timestamp of when the order is received. I am inspecting the units one by one so it will definitely take some time between when I receive the units and when the last order received ships out.

Elrick

15 Jan 2016, 00:45

Ellipse wrote: I am inspecting the units one by one so it will definitely take some time between when I receive the units and when the last order received ships out.
YES please make sure every keyboard sold here meets the Maximum DT Standards, regarding Model-F keyboards.

Since these input devices shall be used for another 40 to 50 years ahead, they have to be guaranteed to meet that criteria, although I'll be happy for another 20 years inline with my current timeline :wink: .

andrewjoy

15 Jan 2016, 00:55

Just an idea, but are you going to sign the inside of them when you inspect them ?

hammelgammler
Vintage

15 Jan 2016, 01:14

Ellipse wrote: As an update, the factory has shipped the prototypes and they should arrive by the middle of next week! I have ordered prototype split right shift keyboards and Unicomp split right shift, regular layout, black unprinted, regular unprinted, and regular printed keys and will be testing and photographing each of the layouts.
Wait, did you get a full set of black blanks, including two homerow keys??
If so, then why can't Unicomp seem to get their inventory together!

Ellipse

15 Jan 2016, 02:22

andrew I might initial them like the original QC label. Not sure yet.

hammel - Unicomp still sells the black unprinted key sets, but they ran out of black right shift keys.

nh10798

15 Jan 2016, 17:27

Ellipse wrote: As an update, the factory has shipped the prototypes and they should arrive by the middle of next week! I have ordered prototype split right shift keyboards and Unicomp split right shift, regular layout, black unprinted, regular unprinted, and regular printed keys and will be testing and photographing each of the layouts.

It looks like the early consensus is for the straight text in the logo - any other thoughts?

Red you will go to a web site where you can customize what you want to order. It does not have to match your interest form.

faycheung please do sign the interest form, even if just so I can let you know when orders open (hopefully next week). Orders ship (generally, with some exceptions) in sequence of the timestamp of when the order is received. I am inspecting the units one by one so it will definitely take some time between when I receive the units and when the last order received ships out.
Ellipse,

I think that the logo title "Model F62" is a far cleaner approach to the logo as opposed to the "F62 Model F" which, in my opinion, doesn't roll off of the tongue as nicely and is longer. Let me know what you think :?

courtesi

15 Jan 2016, 19:10

It might be a little minimalist - but why not just have the buckling spring switch image there with only "F62" or "F77" next to it?

Using words like "The Ultimate" makes it sound like you are trying to market to a bunch of fapping 13 year old gamers.

I may be fapping, and I may be a gamer - but I am not 13 years old.

Just an opinion that sometimes less is more.
Last edited by courtesi on 15 Jan 2016, 19:31, edited 3 times in total.

Muirium
µ

15 Jan 2016, 19:12

I agree with with these suggestions. Apparently good taste is in fashion around here!

kekstee

15 Jan 2016, 19:34

Now that you mention it, I don't mind the "Buckling spring keyboard" part, but "The ultimate" is not really necessary.

nguyenkimtam

16 Jan 2016, 00:00

Eager to see the groupbuy :D

Elrick

16 Jan 2016, 00:48

kekstee wrote: Now that you mention it, I don't mind the "Buckling spring keyboard" part, but "The ultimate" is not really necessary.
Compared to the mainstream which is now always Cherry and Topre, this is indeed the ULTIMATE Buckling Spring Keyboard.

Please specify which other manufacturer is currently making the Buckling Spring mechanism if you think this isn't the ultimate version of it?

courtesi

16 Jan 2016, 02:17

Elrick wrote:
kekstee wrote: Now that you mention it, I don't mind the "Buckling spring keyboard" part, but "The ultimate" is not really necessary.
Compared to the mainstream which is now always Cherry and Topre, this is indeed the ULTIMATE Buckling Spring Keyboard.

Please specify which other manufacturer is currently making the Buckling Spring mechanism if you think this isn't the ultimate version of it?
If this was the "Ultimate" version it would come in a 80% TKL SSK format, not wear Unicomp keycaps, and be made in America - not China. :lol:

I kid - I kid .. In any case it just doesn't seem like "Ultimate" is needed. Topre has got "good feeling of oneness with cup rubber" which is hilarious - with none of that "Ultimate" pompous crap.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

16 Jan 2016, 04:24

The original buckling spring keyboard.

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

16 Jan 2016, 04:37

Nope, that honor belongs to the XT keyboard, released with the original IBM 5150 PC in 1981. The 4704 system came out in 1982. I will say, though, that these were the first buckling spring keyboards capable of being configured into what we now recognize as the modern ANSI and ISO layouts.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

16 Jan 2016, 04:55

Techno Trousers wrote: Nope, that honor belongs to the XT keyboard, released with the original IBM 5150 PC in 1981. The 4704 system came out in 1982. I will say, though, that these were the first buckling spring keyboards capable of being configured into what we now recognize as the modern ANSI and ISO layouts.
The original somewhat modern layout buckling spring keyboards.

joc

16 Jan 2016, 05:22

Ellipse wrote:
Spoiler:
The prototypes and foam have been completed! They will be on their way to me this week via expedited shipping! Please note that the foam prototypes in the photos were adjusted/made with hand tools so they still have some rough areas and markings, but these will not be on the production styrofoam pieces.

Also the boxes in the photos are the correct double walled specification but will be opening from the side with the production boxes instead of on top like in the prototype boxes shown in the photos.

Also a reminder that the powdercoated case colors are prototype colors and may not be the final colors.

I wonder if I am overprotecting these keyboards - all this extra packaging is going to run up a hefty shipping bill from China.

Once production finishes (production takes 1-2 months), then it will take a few weeks for sea mail from China. I was thinking of offering the option to pay for DHL or other expedited shipping options where it goes DHL Express, etc. to me and then I test it and send it out expedited shipping. This might enable you to get the keyboard a few weeks faster than expected.

ok thanks Samir. I was able to get my Oki Microline to print text only with the Windows 10 built in text only driver (text only driver example printout shown in the earlier photo). This prints super fast with the built in dot matrix font.
prototypes with foam (3).jpg
prototypes with foam (1).jpg
prototypes with foam (5).jpg
Wow, the prototypes and packaging look great Ellipse! I'm looking forward to your review.
Ellipse wrote:
Spoiler:
One of the forum members generously helped design some really nice logos and a buckling spring animation for the project. They are similar to some of the buckling spring animations floating around different web sites.

These renderings show the graphics as they would appear on a box. I'm not sure where they will end up: on the box, the web site, the manual, etc. I'm going to look into adding one of these graphics to the boxes.
box-draft-final2-a.jpg
box-draft-final2-black.jpg
box-draft-final2-blue.jpg
box-draft-final2-red.jpg
box-draft-final-a.jpg
box-draft-final-black.jpg
box-draft-final-blue.jpg
box-draft-final-red.jpg
This is my favorite graphic. The text "F62 Model F" reminds me of phrase "The Department of Redundancy Department". Maybe the angled text would look more natural if it lined up with the angle of the flipper? How about something like "The Revival" for the subtext?

Ludovician

16 Jan 2016, 08:23

'Model F62: Redefining "compact" keyboards'

bhtooefr

16 Jan 2016, 12:01

Feeling of oneness with buckle steel?

Madhias
BS TORPE

16 Jan 2016, 13:16

Or just nothing, no subtext, only F 62 or F 77

What about CBM - Chinese Business Machines? Just joking...

Return to “Group buys”