[IC] A true GH/DT custom keyboard kit - What do you want to see?

Zylkan

04 Jun 2016, 17:00

I would consider this if TKL was the final decision. Those rendering look awesome!

I too am looking for a TKL

Prelim

04 Jun 2016, 17:00

photekq wrote: There are tonnes of proper 3-piece, plate mounted TKLs.
not with full ANSI/ISO support AFAIK (only know Jane), neither with such a beautiful design as shown in the renders. I don't know why did you ask us to fill the inquiry then :/

photekq
Cherry Picker

04 Jun 2016, 17:32

I should probably amend my previous comment to :

It probably won't be. I've had a change of heart. 60%.

I was leaning towards TKL before, but I'm now leaning towards 60%. I'm still yet to make an absolute final choice, as I haven't been able to dedicate enough thought towards this project as of late due to exams.

The poll has been immensely helpful, and I appreciate every response that I got, but I have never said that I would just go with the most popular options from the poll.

iamacicada

04 Jun 2016, 17:51

Although I chose 60% in the poll, I'm leaning towards TKL now :lol:. With the design in the renders, TKL definitely looks better imo.
Last edited by iamacicada on 30 Aug 2016, 19:44, edited 1 time in total.

Khers

04 Jun 2016, 22:58

I for one applaud the change of direction. A three piece 60% that you had a reasonable chance to get hold of, now that would be quite something!

TuxKey
LLAP

04 Jun 2016, 23:02

excited to see what you come up with.

personally i poker3 one steroids would to it for me..the 75% with compatible cap size is the one thing i havent seen before.
Stil a nice community build and programmable and sold inside the EU is worth considering :D

I often complain that manufactures don't innovate and are void of creative design.
but it seems like customers want more & more of the same hahaha :roll: strange world we live in..

Stil i liked the WhiteFox also sold like hot pancakes. And currently 2734 users requested it to run again.
So there is demand for smaller factor keyboards thank god ;-)

only problem i had with the WhiteFox was the different keycap size if i went with the bottom row three keys on both side of the spacebar and an arrow cluster..

Perhaps you could do a build that has two or three of these form factors..

Good luck mate..

A TKL version ..A Leopold FC660 type version..And a 75% version :mrgreen:
So everyone is happy ahahahah

Phenix
-p

04 Jun 2016, 23:57

I also really liked the 75%+1 board.
Would highly appreciate something in that direction+ trackpoint(s) and if possible bluetooth.
But the three piece 60% also sounds nice..

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

05 Jun 2016, 01:38

Do both!

Prelim

05 Jun 2016, 13:24

as I understood this is meant to be a GH/DT kit, so to accomplish the best price possible (through a higher number of orders in both forums) is should be better to remain with only single option, am I right?

photekq
Cherry Picker

05 Jun 2016, 13:25

Yeah, I'm only doing one at a time :lol:

Scottex

05 Jun 2016, 13:28

My preference is for:
-Alps
-75%
-ISO capable

Reasoning:
-I (and I think most people do) like Alps over Cherry in tactile and clicky switches, and given this would stay at home (valuable item :D) i would go for a clicky switch (white alps most likely)
-75% is the best home format, and it's still portable enough to carry around in case of an emergency
-ISO capable would be nice and is not that difficult to make. It would also expand the market for the ISO lovers.

photekq
Cherry Picker

05 Jun 2016, 13:31

Two of those three will be satisfied without any doubts Scottex! I definitely want to support Alps + MX and ISO + ANSI (+ other variations).

Definitely no 75% though. I don't find it as aesthetically pleasing or as functional as other layouts

Scottex

05 Jun 2016, 13:37

photekq wrote: Two of those three will be satisfied without any doubts Scottex! I definitely want to support Alps + MX and ISO + ANSI (+ other variations).

Definitely no 75% though. I don't find it as aesthetically pleasing or as functional as other layouts
2/3 is a victory in my book :mrgreen:
maybe 75% as next project?

Makeo

09 Jun 2016, 20:25

This would be so amazing if it happens! Voted for the tkl since this would be my "precious" and would be kept at home safe on my desk. :) Would be nice to see a pcb that supports full led's for once too!

CommonCurt

11 Jun 2016, 12:30

Glad to hear you're possibly leaning towards 60% now.

I'd also be down for a TKL if you decide to go that route.

Prelim

10 Jul 2016, 01:11

any updates on the GB?

photekq
Cherry Picker

10 Jul 2016, 01:51

Will be getting back to the designs soon. Hopefully within the next week. I then want to get prototypes as soon as possible.

I've decided on the names/logos of the customs. Alpha is out the window!

Odal or Othala (the furthark rune; to me it represents family. In this context the sense of community I've found here and on geekhack, and the friends that I have made) and Triskele (representing the progress of man. In this context the progress I've made since my last custom). Not sure which should be 60% and which should be TKL though!

If anyone here is good with vectors I'm seeking a stylised Triskele! I haven't found a suitable one anywhere online. Something similar to this but with better proportions would be great.

Prelim

10 Jul 2016, 11:35

thanks for the update Tom :)

loved the names rationale, but not so much that logo :/ I guess the alpha seems too much of a "sony keyboard" lol, but it's way simple and beautiful than strange logos. IMHO even without logo it will turn out good... in the keyboard customs world the simpler, the better ;)

beltet

10 Jul 2016, 15:44

I'm not certain I will be joining this, mostly due to funds... But...
The name alpha sounds good to me. But the logo... I directly start to think about Razer when I see/think of a triskele.
Any idea what the price will be when this is finished?

scottc

10 Jul 2016, 15:48

Yeah, I think Razer has ruined the triskele for me too.

Prelim

13 Jul 2016, 18:54

some stylised Triskele type designs, although I still prefer the alpha :p

also, the Othala basic design is almost an inverted alpha :p

Last edited by Prelim on 13 Jul 2016, 19:08, edited 1 time in total.

caligo

13 Jul 2016, 19:08

I really wouldn't use that winged version of the odal rune though, since it has quite strong nazi connotations.

Prelim

13 Jul 2016, 19:11

lol, FYI the nazis didn't invent nothing! for instance, the nazi cross is far older than it and has it's roots in religion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika )

kbdfr
The Tiproman

13 Jul 2016, 19:14

Prelim wrote: lol, FYI the nazis didn't invent nothing! for instance, the nazi cross is far older than it and has it's roots in religion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika)
Sure, but when you see a swastika the immediate connotation is that it is a nazi symbol.

photekq
Cherry Picker

13 Jul 2016, 19:31

I definitely don't want to use this one!

It might be very eye catching but it's the symbol of the AWB, which is an organisation I don't have any sympathy for :lol:

The last three triskeles you posted are more valknut than triskele. While I think the symbol is very appealing to the eye, it does not have any deeper meaning to me.

And that odal rune.. I would be using the non-winged version. While I personally don't think that symbol is harmful, offensive or anything more than a slight variation on the rune, some people do associate it with the Nazis.

It's quite sad that we have to be so careful to not offend when using something as old as the Furthark runes, but I can sort of understand it.

I've been fascinated by the Furthark, triskele, valknut and plenty of other European symbols since I was a young child (long before I even knew the Nazis existed!) and some, like the odal rune and triskele, do mean something to me; strangely, a meaning that is relevant to my relationship with these keyboard forums! For this reason, I'm determined to use these symbols and names, but I wish to do so without giving the false impression that I'm using them for political reasons. So, I'm going to be quite careful when choosing the particular style, and I definitely won't be touching the AWB logo or the winged odal rune :lol:

Prelim

13 Jul 2016, 19:36

I totally understand!

Personally I think the valknut symbols are the ones that most greatly represent the DT/GH community junction ;) Still, I don't know if I would like to see any of those symbols in my keyboards though :/ (for me still wins the alpha on the renders lol)
Spoiler:

caligo

14 Jul 2016, 08:36

Prelim wrote:lol, FYI the nazis didn't invent nothing! for instance, the nazi cross is far older than it and has it's roots in religion (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika )
The odal rune with those wings is a nazi symbol and not much else, the Vikings didn't write it that way. And I'm a swede with a big beard, so I should know. :)

I'm well aware of the complex history of nazi symbolism and how they used various established symbols, but in this case it's fairly clear cut. Which by the way is what it says in the Wikipedia article I linked to.

EDIT: And just to be clear, I'm really interested in this project (which is why I've been lurking this thread), and really like the norse symbolism thing. Hell, I spent much of my teens reading norse sagas and even playing viking pen-and-paper RPGs. I'm as annoyed by the nazi and fascist appropriation of ancient symbols as anyone, but the connotations are there nonetheless.

MadeForKilling

21 Jul 2016, 15:40

Love this! I will say that I would love to see a new GB for a 75% board. I find that they are really hard to come by.

shreebles
Finally 60%

21 Jul 2016, 15:46

MadeForKilling wrote: 75% board. I find that they are really hard to come by.
Have you checked out the Noppoo 84 keyboards?

Also, welcome to DT!
Excellent choice of mouse :D

MadeForKilling

21 Jul 2016, 16:00

shreebles wrote:
MadeForKilling wrote: 75% board. I find that they are really hard to come by.
Have you checked out the Noppoo 84 keyboards?

Also, welcome to DT!
Excellent choice of mouse :D
Thanks! Yea i've seen the Nopo board. Looking for more of a custom board for the 75%. It is a great mouse. Best FPS sensor ive used thus far!

Return to “Group buys”