SA Dasher & SA Dancer keycap sets (Completed)

Griffy

07 Oct 2017, 18:47

Laser
emacs -nw

07 Oct 2017, 19:06

:) Color-content?

Griffy

07 Oct 2017, 21:18

The dark blue is very nice.

I have to get used to the light not being as intense as I thought, but I do think its a good shade....too intense would be more stressing to look at in the long run its just that I always pictured it more in your face.

I have to wait to next week to put it on the keyboard but I think its gonna be sweet. I got the tkl, numpad, norde and also the special pack.

Laser
emacs -nw

08 Oct 2017, 20:41

I like the colors. I got the TKL and a special pack, and I can even mix and match with a WoB MAXKEY set to cover a TKL and a HHKB, and even so the blue modifiers look good to me :)

Griffy

10 Oct 2017, 20:44

Sorry about colors being off - office is worst place to take photos.

There is one small thing we should have thought of, can you spot it? ;)

webwit
Wild Duck

11 Oct 2017, 00:45

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: There is one small thing we should have thought of, can you spot it? ;)
No DT key! No duck key! :evil:
Spoiler:
Also "5" vertical alignment... :geek:

Daniel Beardsmore

11 Oct 2017, 00:52

wait, what's up with Z, X and <> ?

zslane

11 Oct 2017, 01:06

webwit wrote:
GriffDeLaGriff wrote: There is one small thing we should have thought of, can you spot it? ;)
No DT key! No duck key! :evil:
Spoiler:
Also "5" vertical alignment... :geek:
Yeah, to keep things simple I went with no novelties.

The %5 is a problem for a number of recent sets apparently. Nobody seems to have noticed until now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chyros

11 Oct 2017, 07:28

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: Sorry about colors being off - office is worst place to take photos.

There is one small thing we should have thought of, can you spot it? ;)
No Hyper key!

Still, jealous as fuck xD .

FSund

11 Oct 2017, 08:12

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: Sorry about colors being off - office is worst place to take photos.
[...]
That's quite an interesting layout you've got there :)

I think the colors are pretty accurately represented in my images.

Griffy

11 Oct 2017, 09:09

Cool another Norde. Last pic is too cold tho, but the first 2 the mods are warmer (more turquise) irl. Sweet board!

Daniel: Lol yeah I changed caps after work yesterday and snaped pics and went home and saw that on the pics haha. I just changed them the right way.

Zlane & webwit & Chyros: I was actually thinking of that the ">" key that is situated to the down/left on nordic should have been mod-colored to keep the symetric look if you go with the mod-colored "§" as I have done.

Yes the %5 is higher, but irl - I dont care.

zslane

11 Oct 2017, 19:24

Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. You already have mod colors along the entire right side. That is the usual goal when making the top-left numrow key the mod color.

The fact that your board sticks you with a tiny right Shift key, unbalancing the right side is a layout deficiency, and not one that a keycap designer is going to solve by making the >< key mod colored also. That key is an alpha, and should be alpha colored no matter what, IMO.

nnc-tlb

11 Oct 2017, 20:37

my SA Dasher (supposed to be from SP) has also FIO, FII, FI2 and like the soon to be released sets from maxkey a FI for F1 (fix one key instead three keys F10-F12).

did SP subcontracted SA Dasher to maxkey ?

in the renders @ massdrop it was F1, F10, F11 and F12

Griffy

11 Oct 2017, 20:56

zslane wrote: Depends on how you look at it, I suppose. You already have mod colors along the entire right side. That is the usual goal when making the top-left numrow key the mod color.

The fact that your board sticks you with a tiny right Shift key, unbalancing the right side is a layout deficiency, and not one that a keycap designer is going to solve by making the >< key mod colored also. That key is an alpha, and should be alpha colored no matter what, IMO.
Yeah but isnt the "§" also an alpha so either noone is modcolored or anyone (or both) could be as a personal preference? Im not saying it should be modcolored only but it could have been included as an option like the "§" key thats all.

And dont take this as negative feedback just take it as feedback, there are many things about the set that I love so this is just a thought while sitting and fibbing around with the layout. Its extremely welcome to have "mono-alphas" also after a run with the spacecadett (with its symbols sharing the keys) its very different and a nice change.

And its not really a deficiency sincy all you need is the pinky on the left shift. :geek: go go ISO Nordic!

zslane

11 Oct 2017, 21:26

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: Yeah but isnt the "§" also an alpha so either noone is modcolored or anyone (or both) could be as a personal preference? Im not saying it should be modcolored only but it could have been included as an option like the "§" key thats all.
That particular numrow key is mod colored as an option mostly because it has become an expected option these days, and also because that position just happens to be mod colored on actual Dasher keyboards (it would be a mistake, I feel, to believe that this practice would (or should) extend to keycaps that aren't even on the outer edge). But for oddball kits like NORDE where I myself had no idea what you guys would need, I basically looked at other sets that were around in 2015 and copied them.

At the end of the day, I had to standardize as much as possible, just to keep costs manageable. At the time Dasher/Dancer was being proposed, the rising cost of SA sets was a touchy subject within the community, and I felt I was actually doing the community a service by doing everything I could to keep costs down, which included having no custom legends and limiting, to a reasonable degree, the coverage offered to alternate and international keyboard users.

It's simply not reasonable to expect (or even hope for) set designers to anticipate all the bizarre personal preferences for accommodating alternate layouts and color arrangements. Ultimately, thanks to the fact that Dasher and Dancer were mirror images of each other color-wise, the solution to your problem would have been to purchase the necessary kit(s) in the other color. It would have been expensive, sure, but it would have got you the key(s) you needed. That's a case where the cost lands where it belongs: burdening only those who have a peculiar need.

Wolf123rt

12 Oct 2017, 01:04

Is there by any chance extras that you can sell?

zslane

12 Oct 2017, 01:43

The only keycaps I have are some blanks that I plan to make available on eBay. Massdrop handles everything else. Hell, I don't even have my set yet.

Griffy

12 Oct 2017, 09:08

I understand and agree. As I said, its just feedback. I had to get the special kit myself for only 1 key (stepped caps) so yes the possibillity were there to mix and match and that was really cool.

But do Massdrop ever release any extra kits or do they just keep them for backup?

chuckdee

12 Oct 2017, 18:41

GriffDeLaGriff wrote: I understand and agree. As I said, its just feedback. I had to get the special kit myself for only 1 key (stepped caps) so yes the possibillity were there to mix and match and that was really cool.

But do Massdrop ever release any extra kits or do they just keep them for backup?
They had that Capatoa Keycap Explosion sale a while ago (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/37013). I think they buy extras to take care of problems, but don't sell them normally. That was an experiment in doing so, and considering how it went, and some of the things that were said about them, not sure that they'll do it again. But they might at some point.

Return to “Group buys”