Phantom Custom Keyboard Group Buy (CLOSED)

litster

01 Apr 2012, 18:18

It is a tool that hobbyists use to make landing gears for remote control airplanes.

off

01 Apr 2012, 19:35

that I would not have guessed

litster

02 Apr 2012, 06:46

Just so you guys know, since these are made by hand, by me, they are not all exactly the same. The good thing is I found out the Costar stabilizers are actually pretty forgiving. I have tried a few stabilizers I made that are slightly different in length maybe by 1 to 1.5mm. They all work well. It will work better if you have some lube that you can apply to all the contact points to make it smoother.

litster

02 Apr 2012, 07:35

This picture needs more stabilizer bars. Someone is getting that last one.
7x Costar stabilizer bars.JPG
7x Costar stabilizer bars.JPG (365.3 KiB) Viewed 4615 times

Maarten

02 Apr 2012, 10:06

litster wrote:The good thing is I found out the Costar stabilizers are actually pretty forgiving.
Indeed, thats what i found when making my own stabi's. The most important thing is that everything is right angled, parallel and straight, half a mm too long doesnt really matter. I do really love your tool tho, and that you use proper steel straights. Beats my paperclip+pliers method by a long way :)

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

02 Apr 2012, 10:42

Why do people like costar stabilizers more than cherry stabilizers? I just don't understand it... And yes, I have tried both. Somebody enlighten me with your opinion on this.

litster

14 Apr 2012, 06:10

WhiskerBox made me this cable based on my suggestion. It works on Filco case perfectly. On my acrylic case I need to make a small modification. This is a prototype. WhiskerBox will be making changes to it to make it even better. But as it is now, the cable is held in place very well.

Custom USB with Cable Gland-1.jpg
Custom USB with Cable Gland-1.jpg (146.21 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Custom USB with Cable Gland-2.jpg
Custom USB with Cable Gland-2.jpg (144.35 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Custom USB with Cable Gland-3.jpg
Custom USB with Cable Gland-3.jpg (167.37 KiB) Viewed 4545 times
Custom USB with Cable Gland-4.jpg
Custom USB with Cable Gland-4.jpg (140.88 KiB) Viewed 4545 times

Minskleip

14 Apr 2012, 09:58

Geekhack is down again; is Prince's firmware hosted here as well?

dirge

14 Apr 2012, 10:01

Great idea on the cable! Is it possible to do small usb to din? Want to use a cherry number pad between my phantom and the pc

harrison

14 Apr 2012, 19:50

o-rings under heatshrink? i like the idea!

off

14 Apr 2012, 20:23

harrison wrote:o-rings under heatshrink? i like the idea!
If that is all there is to this version, I don't see how it could hold a cable VERY well at all..
The kinks in the path of any internal cable pull nullification system are there to catch the pulls, but this I can only see sliding off the cable; could be me.
Nevertheless, this is something that needs solving, so big up for going for it :)

litster

14 Apr 2012, 20:42

Holding it like a dead mouse.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334428937.108789.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334428937.108789.jpg (174.43 KiB) Viewed 4532 times

mintberryminuscrunch

14 Apr 2012, 21:27

dirge wrote:Great idea on the cable! Is it possible to do small usb to din? Want to use a cherry number pad between my phantom and the pc
Phantom hasn't got PS/2 functionality (yet) but should be possible

off

14 Apr 2012, 21:54

litster wrote:Holding it like a dead mouse.
Then what's the trick; it's lying on the floor instead of hanging from your hand? Or did you/whisk use very heavily shrinking heatshrink (like 6:1), or are the o-rings very tight-fitting like ty-rips?
Wicked pic anyhow! those rainbow colours on that sleeve ;)

litster

14 Apr 2012, 23:10

tsangan

14 Apr 2012, 23:13

off wrote:
litster wrote:Holding it like a dead mouse.
Then what's the trick; it's lying on the floor instead of hanging from your hand? Or did you/whisk use very heavily shrinking heatshrink (like 6:1), or are the o-rings very tight-fitting like ty-rips?
Wicked pic anyhow! those rainbow colours on that sleeve ;)
Anything else to say? :roll:

gimpster

14 Apr 2012, 23:25

Heh. Non-believers. :) Litster will never mislead you.

whiskerBox

15 Apr 2012, 04:15

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

off

15 Apr 2012, 14:41

:D Seems sturdy enough!!
And yes, just one: HOW DOES IT WORK!?!!?
"did you/whisk use very heavily shrinking heatshrink (like 6:1), or are the o-rings very tight-fitting like ty-rips?'
edit: spelling, twice :(
Last edited by off on 15 Apr 2012, 16:49, edited 2 times in total.

richie

15 Apr 2012, 16:33

Litster, will there ever be another phantom group buy?

dirge

15 Apr 2012, 17:00

I think the next planned group buy is called "the light" a similar project with LED's placed around the keyboard.

There is the custom ergo board that looks like its getting close to a prototype too.

tsangan

15 Apr 2012, 17:12

dirge wrote:I think the next planned group buy is called "the light" a similar project with LED's placed around the keyboard.

There is the custom ergo board that looks like its getting close to a prototype too.
Yeah that one seems to have like 5 people interested so far :lol:

guilleguillaume

15 Apr 2012, 17:30

I would love to be part of any new GB organised like that organised by Litster. I couldn't get in and now I regret it! :o

dirge

15 Apr 2012, 17:58

tsangan wrote:Yeah that one seems to have like 5 people interested so far :lol:
:P well 4 and me then!

When the phantoms are out and built people will want to be on board with the next project, at least I hope so!

But there will be a phantom sale when everything is out so people could still have a chance. Hope nobody sells phantom kits at high prices to make a buck.

Gilgam

15 Apr 2012, 21:14

tsangan wrote:
dirge wrote:I think the next planned group buy is called "the light" a similar project with LED's placed around the keyboard.

Yeah that one seems to have like 5 people interested so far :lol:
Are you talking about the dox ?
I'm sure there are more people.

gimpster

16 Apr 2012, 00:10

I haven't heard of "the light" but I would love to see us take a stab at our own 60% or 75% board.

Tarkoon

16 Apr 2012, 13:28

guilleguillaume wrote:I would love to be part of any new GB organised like that organised by Litster. I couldn't get in and now I regret it! :o
I ordered three versions of the phantom - three plates, three PCBs and many different switches etc., because I couldn't decide what I prefer. But I will keep only the one combination I like best, so there will be two phantoms available from me afterwards...

harrison

16 Apr 2012, 15:38

off wrote:
harrison wrote:o-rings under heatshrink? i like the idea!
If that is all there is to this version, I don't see how it could hold a cable VERY well at all..
The kinks in the path of any internal cable pull nullification system are there to catch the pulls, but this I can only see sliding off the cable; could be me.
Nevertheless, this is something that needs solving, so big up for going for it :)
i don't see why it wouldn't. the o-rings are held in place by the heatshrink, and many heatshrink tubes are treated on the inside with a heat-activated glue. ultimately, this is a far better solution, since a cable-pull can result in excess strain points on the cable, but this does not.

off

16 Apr 2012, 16:36

harrison wrote: many heatshrink tubes are treated on the inside with a heat-activated glue. ultimately, this is a far better solution, since a cable-pull can result in excess strain points on the cable, but this does not.
Well the first part is what I know and yet am worried for, half the heatshrink I've seen was very prone to just let the cable underneath slip when there was stress applied; over time or immediately.
And indeed this could prove to fare better than the ones that damage your cable through pressure.

all in all, looking good!

The Demongolator
Contra Bonos Mores

17 Apr 2012, 04:33

Return to “Group buys”