Model MF - GB CLOSED

Pick our controller... Voting ends on Friday

The mini-xWhatsit that WCass shrunk down. It uses the same mini-controller design as Ellipse's F62/77, but with a connector meant to slip onto our PCB (inverted running parallel to the backplate)
31%
The CommonSense that DMA has recently put together. This is young yet, but has the most long term promise (not a question). It will have a very similar connector (possibly perpendicular vs. parallel slip-on mount)
69%

Total votes: 62

E TwentyNine

01 Dec 2016, 19:34

Hmmmm......can a laser etch chromate?

lot_lizard

01 Dec 2016, 19:46

E TwentyNine wrote: Hmmmm......can a laser etch chromate?
It (ours) can MARK with an additive like Cermark (same as we would do for other raw metals like stainless steel). It is important that you remove the oils prior so they don't refract the beam prematurely, and then reapply the oil afterwards to maintain consistency in the coating. More powerful lasers (say 75+ REAL watts) can etch most conventional metals aside from the likes of aluminum. It needs to be in the triple digits to perform well. When someone etches something that is anodized aluminum, they are rarely even touching the aluminum (only etching off the anodized coating). Think more like us taking the dyed PBT off our key cap experiments, but much less (pretend the dye was only a coating).

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

01 Dec 2016, 20:24

lot_lizard wrote:I have some metrics/charts in the 3rd post of this thread.
Wow, I guess only two green top plate orders? I didn't order one myself, but is there an MOQ on the individual colors?

lot_lizard

01 Dec 2016, 21:44

Techno Trousers wrote: Wow, I guess only two green top plate orders? I didn't order one myself, but is there an MOQ on the individual colors?
There isn't because of who we are working with... plus my orders and orders for friends that aren't on DT have yet to be counted. It is highly unlikely we will mess with other forums at all to increase sales. Again, as long as we show up with numbers that aren't embarrassing for myself (our producers are personal friends), I will be happy.

EDIT: There would be an MOQ for the PCB color choices, but we will exceed those minimums. Our polls were actually quite accurate along the way turns out. I appreciate everyone voting like they did.

photekq
Cherry Picker

01 Dec 2016, 21:45

Only 3 days left, still no money to get in T_T

Topre Enthusiast

01 Dec 2016, 22:29

photekq wrote: Only 3 days left, still no money to get in T_T
Just sell a Cherry keyboard from the pile :) This could be a once in a lifetime opportunity, man!

POTV

02 Dec 2016, 18:45

Paid.

(Hmmm... I have a feeling, that quite soon I´ll regret, that i did'nt order 4 instead of 2...)

lot_lizard

02 Dec 2016, 19:18

Just a quick update on invoices... I'm about 75% of the way through getting them all out, so don't worry about others having paid and you have yet to receive anything.

We officially won't be advertising any of this on GH or Reddit, but for any of you there that do have some clout... Feel free to post a "have you seen" sort of thread if you like. I would hate for someone that is a true lover of IBM Ms and Fs to miss out completely because we are isolated. I have a feeling they already know, but if l lived on GH and this short GB passed me by, and would have been upset.

If no one posts, no big deal, but don't be hesitant to mention because you think we are trying to keep it some DT only secret. We just don't need the additional sales, so we haven't bothered with. Appreciate

Techno Trousers
100,000,000 actuations

02 Dec 2016, 20:59

POTV wrote:Paid.

(Hmmm... I have a feeling, that quite soon I´ll regret, that i did'nt order 4 instead of 2...)
I guess I'll have no regrets then... Ordered four! :twisted:

DMA

02 Dec 2016, 21:38

lot_lizard wrote: but if l lived on GH and this short GB passed me by, and would have been upset.
Serves dem well for settling in a wrong community!
(does that mean you have still more switches to find a good home?)

lot_lizard

02 Dec 2016, 21:55

DMA wrote: (does that mean you have still more switches to find a good home?)
We are actually going to have that mesh up just about perfectly. I will still have a small reserve, but I set those aside from the beginning to always have some on hand for myself (and to help with SMALL quantity requests that people might have from time to time). Im expecting that everyone that lives on GH or Reddit that actually cares about IBM stuff is aware of our project already, but might not be aware the buy is about to end since it was so short. I am not expecting much in-flux if any, but I might be naive. To actually answer though... NO... we don't have many left.

Cindy may get a few more salvage grade F's (will know after the buy closes on Monday). If that is the case, I would order enough kits to produce anything with her spares, and sell them for a premium later on eBay to raise some funds for our next project where we need molds, etc.

That might not work out though... no idea yet.

POTV

02 Dec 2016, 22:56

I guess there is a market for something like 50 reasonably priced SSK cases soon after this GB. At least I would consider selling my SSK´s, if something interesting happens on the case front - be it metal, resin or wood...

alienman82

03 Dec 2016, 01:29

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.

evoman

03 Dec 2016, 01:36

I still haven't decided to jump in with an order (mostly because of the issue of import fees), but here are two issues I needed to decide when doing the order form (and so I need to address if I do a last minute order!) - which USB option do people recommend? I have a couple of keyboard with a micro USB connector and it seems like a poor choice, but also a common one - so what are people going with?

For the layout, if I get it with the win key, but end up needing to put it into an older case without the space, can I just pull the key or will the cylinder be a problem? thx

fohat
Elder Messenger

03 Dec 2016, 01:47

evoman wrote: I still haven't decided to jump in with an order (mostly because of the issue of import fees), but here are two issues I needed to decide when doing the order form (and so I need to address if I do a last minute order!) - which USB option do people recommend? I have a couple of keyboard with a micro USB connector and it seems like a poor choice, but also a common one - so what are people going with?

For the layout, if I get it with the win key, but end up needing to put it into an older case without the space, can I just pull the key or will the cylinder be a problem? thx
I have ordered USB-B and USB-C because I think that the big B socket is the sturdiest for now, and the C-type to ensure that it is future-proof.

If you have an old case you will need to cut off the "tab" between the space bar and the "Alts" to add Windows keys, or else don't install barrels (aka "chimneys") in those locations. Lot_Lizard will have plugs for unused holes.
Last edited by fohat on 03 Dec 2016, 01:49, edited 2 times in total.

lot_lizard

03 Dec 2016, 01:48

alienman82 wrote: what LEDs come on the daughter board for the full size.
For the full size, there are two daughter boards. The one for both profiles (SSK and Full Size) in the USB output daughter, and the LED itself (capslock, num, scroll). This LED board is currently in development (PCB design is complete, but resistors and testing are in the works). The LED daughter board comes with every full size plate / PCB combination by default (not a separate choice in the form). There is only one LED color ( legacy green), but you could certainly get an unfinished LED board if you wanted to play with LEDs. Just let me know ahead of time if you would rather solder your own, and we will leave alone.

lot_lizard

03 Dec 2016, 06:14

We have mentioned multiple times that we would have a German proxy for the European shipments that receives via sea freight and disperses to keep the costs minimal. I have never said who that person is, partly because we have many German friends at DT and it is a obvious central spot, but more because we needed to finalize what folks were juggling in early 1Q 2017.

Wodan has agreed to take on that role for us, and I just wanted to thank him for stepping up. It's effort to move all of this along its journey, and he is acting as a trusted "right side of the pond" proxy with no personal financial gain. Just wanted to say thanks, and make sure everyone is aware they should be thank you as well.

ohaimark
Kingpin

03 Dec 2016, 06:25

Wodan wrote: Sorry just finished fapping to this. Need I say any more?
Don't get anything untoward on the M|F's that you're proxying!

drevyek

03 Dec 2016, 07:49

POTV wrote: I guess there is a market for something like 50 reasonably priced SSK cases soon after this GB. At least I would consider selling my SSK´s, if something interesting happens on the case front - be it metal, resin or wood...
If ever there was a time for it...

A new case (not necessarily the same as IBM's original conception) for these would be awesome. I can 100% imagine a number of people being interested in some sort of case, myself included. I'm doing another cut-down mod for this, but would be very open to something interesting. A wooden case would be really cool (an might sound superb).

t!ng
Awake Sheep

03 Dec 2016, 09:12

Can anyone tell me the price for one kit for ssk layout? I am on my way and can't get the excel sheet to open on my phone :(
Have only the case and no switches.

Much appreciated!

Nuum

03 Dec 2016, 09:24

Should be around 210$ with international shipping and switches, but without anything extra, without assembly.

andrewjoy

03 Dec 2016, 13:15

did you get my PM about the overlay ? Don't want to pay and then have to pay again for that :)

evoman

03 Dec 2016, 13:19

fohat wrote:
evoman wrote: I still haven't decided to jump in with an order (mostly because of the issue of import fees), but here are two issues I needed to decide when doing the order form (and so I need to address if I do a last minute order!) - which USB option do people recommend? I have a couple of keyboard with a micro USB connector and it seems like a poor choice, but also a common one - so what are people going with?

I have ordered USB-B and USB-C because I think that the big B socket is the sturdiest for now, and the C-type to ensure that it is future-proof.

If you have an old case you will need to cut off the "tab" between the space bar and the "Alts" to add Windows keys, or else don't install barrels (aka "chimneys") in those locations. Lot_Lizard will have plugs for unused holes.
Thanks for the info - the comment about USB is exactly my thought about sturdiness of the B versus the wider availability (and future-proof aspect) of C. But if you order both, how do you swap - is it an easy change of a modular component, where you just pop open the case and make a change?

E TwentyNine

03 Dec 2016, 13:32

evoman wrote:
Thanks for the info - the comment about USB is exactly my thought about sturdiness of the B versus the wider availability (and future-proof aspect) of C. But if you order both, how do you swap - is it an easy change of a modular component, where you just pop open the case and make a change?
It's a separate component, believe there's pictures of it somewhere in the original thread. Swaps right out.

Ir0n

03 Dec 2016, 17:41

I figured other people might find this helpful.
Unicomp will make you some industrial ssk caps if you ask.. I ordered some for my kit.
They are a lot darker but still look nice.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
(sorry for photo quality)

E TwentyNine

03 Dec 2016, 17:47

Ir0n wrote: I figured other people might find this helpful.
Unicomp will make you some industrial ssk caps if you ask.. I ordered some for my kit.
They are nice. But as a nitpick I've raised before, they're caps specific to the Mopar diagnostic systems which used industrial SSK keyboards, aka "Mopar keycaps", not "industrial ssk caps".

Vast majority of industrial SSKs did not have those keys.

You're not the source of the terminology, I know, just prefer the more accurate term.

Ir0n

03 Dec 2016, 18:02

E TwentyNine wrote:
Ir0n wrote: I figured other people might find this helpful.
They are nice. But as a nitpick I've raised before, they're caps specific to the Mopar diagnostic systems which used industrial SSK keyboards, aka "Mopar keycaps", not "industrial ssk caps".

Vast majority of industrial SSKs did not have those keys.

You're not the source of the terminology, I know, just prefer the more accurate term.
I didn't know that nor did I know about the name Lol my bad.
I thought all industrial ssks came with those caps. ;o

alienman82

03 Dec 2016, 18:04

removed.
Last edited by alienman82 on 02 Mar 2018, 03:21, edited 1 time in total.

E TwentyNine

03 Dec 2016, 18:33

Ir0n wrote: I didn't know that nor did I know about the name Lol my bad.
I thought all industrial ssks came with those caps. ;o
Yep, it's why they're the color they are. As close to Mopar Blue as they could get:

pcaro

03 Dec 2016, 19:23

Order sent! Just in time. If I lost this GB I would never forgive myself...

Return to “Group buys”