SSK PACKAGE DEAL 11 FOR 1850 USD SHIPPED!

xbb

07 Nov 2013, 01:45

I'd like a kishsaver (EU)

Belfong

07 Nov 2013, 02:18

webwit wrote:Put it in a box.
Ha ha.. ok... so any tips on cleaning. I think these are going to be dirty and full of smudges.

Daemon Raccoon

07 Nov 2013, 02:29

A slightly damp washcloth, cotton swabs, a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol for cleaning the case. Denture tabs and a bowl of warm water for the keycaps.

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

07 Nov 2013, 02:34

I'm going to thoroughly clean and de-rust mine and paint the plate [if its rusty].

Disinfectant wipes and isopropyl alcohol is what I use and denture tablets for keycaps.

daedalus
Buckler Of Springs

07 Nov 2013, 09:59

Put me down for a kishsaver. I may consider the 50 key too

tinnie

07 Nov 2013, 10:48

Updated the list, if you're in, then you're in. If not, sorry.

will invoice soon.

tinnie

07 Nov 2013, 11:51

ALL INVOICED.

snoopy

07 Nov 2013, 12:17

I really can't wait for these. :)

Happy bday tinnie! :D

Muirium
µ

07 Nov 2013, 17:32

Paid.

Thanks for this great, great score Tinnie. Have a birthday dram on us! And thanks to you too, Snoopy for being our Europe proxy. There better be enough space for a lot of Kishsavers in the dog house!

nathanscribe

07 Nov 2013, 18:25

Hmm, no invoice received, though I am on the list...

Muirium
µ

07 Nov 2013, 19:57

Better PM Tinnie about it, these are hot cakes.

Something's wrong with the list, though: Hasu ain't getting one? But I want a race between him and Soarer to get these little guys working over USB! One of the double-hoarders care to let him in?

nourathar

07 Nov 2013, 23:13

Hi TInnie,

SSK arrived, in great shape, thanks !

I really hope two of the kishsaver list will drop out so that I can have one.. eheheh..
Typing this message is my first (conscious, i.e. relatively recent) experience with a buckling spring and I am amazed how different it is compared to Cherry or Alps. CLoser to Alps I would say, but still very different and certainly an interesting tactile experience....

ciao,

J.

Muirium
µ

08 Nov 2013, 00:12

Customs finally released my SSK today, too; so I'll hopefully get it tomorrow. Stoked!

Buckling spring is totally different, right? I've several of them now, but until this year I hadn't touched one since back in the day. It was an instant time warp when I did, though. You just don't forget a key feel like that. The best parts of linear and click, combined, without any of the scratchiness of tactile MX. What a glorious racket!

t!ng
Awake Sheep

08 Nov 2013, 00:53

http://kishy.dyndns.org/?p=894#more-894

Cost: $23.95 (including shipping!)

JBert

08 Nov 2013, 09:24

I agree that the price is steep (I'm not buying either, mind you) but still people are throwing money at it. The price won't come down that way.

Muirium
µ

08 Nov 2013, 10:19

Intrinsic value vs. market value. Tinnie sold his entire inventory in a day. The market liked what he had on offer and snatched it up. Sounds about the right price to me!

A 60% Model F is worth more than a new MX based TKL in my view. So I was happy to get it for less. I love that mechanism and the Kishsaver is a wonderful size compared to my XT.

Kish got his original score for an amazing price. Don't forget the work he put into finding it. These were offered up on a plate!

Demand was here this time. It's like the going rate for SSKs: surely they should be less than full size Model Ms, there's less keyboard! Supply and demand are what haggle a price.

Belfong

08 Nov 2013, 10:28

What puzzles me is not the price but that people are buying for keep sake - because it can't be used until a proper controller is made and even then if you know how to install it. So it is akin to a rare museum piece that a collector can appreciate.

Topre Enthusiast

08 Nov 2013, 10:40

Sure there will be some people who are just collecting it to use as trade ammo or whatever, but I have faith that someone (e.g. Soarer or HaaTa or hasu) will convert it. Believe it or not but I actually secured 2 for the very reason of ensuring hasu could have one in the event they sold out quickly. Reaching out to him on Twitter now but he's not responding...yet :)

Muirium
µ

08 Nov 2013, 10:45

You're the man, 002!

I bought mine with the express goal of typing on it. If no one figures out how to convert them I'll let out a sigh and likely trade it on eventually because I'm rapidly assembling quite the museum here accidentally! But I have a strong feeling that these will be up and running. And they'll be NKRO when they do!

Topre Enthusiast

08 Nov 2013, 10:48

For some reason I was under the impression that kishy's was already converted by Soarer actually...
Anyway the selfish side to my story is that buying two means I get two chances at a nice quality one :)

Halvar

08 Nov 2013, 10:56

Pah, that thing doesn't even have cursor keys. Who can possibly want anything like that. And Soarer said It would be hard to convert, if possible at all. And look at this frame, this thing is still larger than a Model M SSK!

Everyone who hasn't paid yet: step down!

8-)

JBert

08 Nov 2013, 10:58

Sounds like you want five of them...

Muirium
µ

08 Nov 2013, 11:00

The matrix boards are still up for speculative grabs…

"Good thing theyre not MX compatible. Surely worth less than a Tipro."

tinnie

08 Nov 2013, 13:12

Source got 12 more ssks. :o not cheap, though.

Game Theory
Mr. Despair

08 Nov 2013, 13:59

002 wrote: Believe it or not but I actually secured 2 for the very reason of ensuring hasu could have one in the event they sold out quickly. Reaching out to him on Twitter now but he's not responding...yet :)
Very happy that you thought to do so.

Since I am in the process of fixing up an F AT, I am looking forward to another project with one of these.

Another 12 SSKs!

Muirium
µ

08 Nov 2013, 14:05

Tendered for delivery without success because of outstanding payment of charges. The item is being held and the addressee is being notified.
Argh! Royal Mail's holding on to my SSK! Just bring it to my door and I'll pay, I promise!

nourathar

08 Nov 2013, 14:47

oh no !

mine arrived safely yesterday and I opened it up and cleaned it today, and put new keycaps on. Only one rivet was missing, so that was great. Did a floss mod on the bottom row keys to see whether I like that better, but so far I am really hapy with audiotactile experience...
ssk_front_before.JPG
ssk_front_before.JPG (149.17 KiB) Viewed 9348 times
ssk_back.JPG
ssk_back.JPG (103.45 KiB) Viewed 9348 times
ssk_front_after.JPG
ssk_front_after.JPG (208.89 KiB) Viewed 9348 times

Soarer

08 Nov 2013, 14:52

002 wrote:Believe it or not but I actually secured 2 for the very reason of ensuring hasu could have one in the event they sold out quickly.
Bravo!

I have converted one by replacing its CPU with a Teensy, but it doesn't work reliably, and I'm pretty stuck for ideas as to why :( I think it could well be a noise problem, in which case it would need more components than just a Teensy - at that point it probably makes more sense to replace the entire controller, which is in the works by others.

I've examined the ROM of the 62-key, and it appears that the same ROM is used on all four of the keyboards in this family - there's a routine in the code that decides which one the ROM is plugged into by testing dummy key locations in the matrix. That's kinda neat, but no help to us, although it does mean that getting any of them working would mean they could all be made to work. But, I also found the point where it decides whether to send a release code or not, and it would be pretty easy to modify it to send release codes for all keys. The hard part, for most people, would be obtaining a blank 8048 and programming it (well, and fitting it), since that requires an EPROM programmer with an 8048 adapter. And, even with that mod, it would still require an external converter as well.

Soarer

08 Nov 2013, 14:53

Muirium wrote:
Tendered for delivery without success because of outstanding payment of charges. The item is being held and the addressee is being notified.
Argh! Royal Mail's holding on to my SSK! Just bring it to my door and I'll pay, I promise!
Phone 'em up and pay by card... or just go and fetch it!

Muirium
µ

08 Nov 2013, 15:09

You bet I would if I knew where it was! Hong Kong Post's tracking doesn't say who actually has it. I'll pay them a visit once they get in touch and I know where I'm going to, likely tomorrow.

(All for a few quid of VAT, too… Declarations of less than £15 avoid this process, apparently, which is why it rarely comes up with the bits and pieces I do.)

As for the Kishsaver, my top hope is that it can be internally converted to USB. Those big cables are unweildy, and only have four active lines, according to Kish!

Return to “Group buys”