Round 5 and Round 6 kits for sale!

spuit

10 May 2015, 20:51

Is it just me or is HONEYB/TKL/CADET absolutely dirt cheap?

Gaaaah 7BIIIIIIT!!!

Muirium
µ

10 May 2015, 21:51

Says right in the thread title: "…"

Re: CADET. That's some harebrained promotional price he used to try and spoil a very similar looking set on PMK a while back. I suspect double legends like that will cost somewhat more in practice.

SL89

10 May 2015, 22:40

I'd have gotten Symbiosis and Cadet tbh, if only because Symbiosis has HJKL with the matching directions from Vim.

Muirium
µ

10 May 2015, 22:50

Has Symbiosis shipped? Could SP actually make it? It always looked highly suspect to me. Seems to need a hundred custom legends!

SL89

10 May 2015, 22:51

Not as of yet.

Muirium
µ

10 May 2015, 22:53

Be sure to show us pics if and when they do. As I said, I expect an unpleasant surprise for its buyers. But if SP can really pull it off, we need to know.

SL89

10 May 2015, 22:54

I didn't end up buying them. I might PM melissa tho and see if i can at some point. They usually have extras kicking around.

chzel

10 May 2015, 22:55

PMK Status thingy wrote:Symbiosis In Production Currently Scheduled to ship May 14th
We'll find out soon enough!

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

10 May 2015, 23:18

HONEYB/TKL/CADET is a great price, yeah. Having being through all of this from near enough the start of Round 5:
Buy it now!
I can't imagine how people who've been through Round 4, Round 5, and finally have the chance to get CADET must feel!
Muirium wrote: Has Symbiosis shipped? Could SP actually make it? It always looked highly suspect to me. Seems to need a hundred custom legends!
It's seemed really quiet, though it doesn't help the the buy leader didn't really post here anyway. I gave a lot of feedback to him about managing issues with legend design but I never saw the actual work.

If SP keep to schedule we may see pics in a week's time. Having seen what they've done with 1976, it looks like they are asking for the leader's approval before shipping which is a great move :)

I did order a Symbiosis WASD kit so I'll see these for myself:
What are the chances SP will have used their existing V and T alpha legends?

Kelvin

12 May 2015, 21:09

Hey guys, I'm totally new here. If I wanted to make my own Dolch set from Round 5a, do you think it's a good idea to order the following? I don't think that's the correct color for the alphas, but that's not a dealbreaker for me.

HONEYB/TKLBASE/BLACK

HONEYB/ALPHA/GREY

HONEYB/MODEXTRA125/BLACK

HONEYB/F1TOF12/GREY

HONEYB/ESCAPE/RED

For reference, a DSA Dolch set from Signature Plastics.

Yslen

12 May 2015, 21:29

It's an awesome combination, don't know as it's that close to dolch, but it'll look great :)

Muirium
µ

12 May 2015, 21:35

We call black and grey "graphite" in Round 5. It'll be sweet. And as I have DSA Dolch and "Round 5 Extras" (ducks) I can actually preview this for you. Sun's setting now though so don't expect a quick photo.

A word of warning: Round 5a will take forever. Round 5 is over a year late too.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

12 May 2015, 23:06

Kelvin wrote: Hey guys, I'm totally new here. If I wanted to make my own Dolch set from Round 5a, do you think it's a good idea to order the following? I don't think that's the correct color for the alphas, but that's not a dealbreaker for me.
The choice looks good (and it will look great!), but what keyboard(s) will they go on?

Your selection will nicely cover an ANSI TKL (with centre stemmed caps lock) except for one thing - don't forget to add a space bar! They're not included in TKLBASE.

Keypuller's DSA Dolch page says it's GX (mods) and GE (alphas), so two greys.
GX is very dark and could nearly pass for black, Round 5's NN black is really quite close.
GE is a warmer, yellower grey compared to the two bluer, colder Round 5 GPA "GREY" and Round 4's GD "SPH" greys.
The distinction between GE vs GD especially is curiously reminiscent of Lego's (old) dark grey and (new) dark "bley"...
If you wanted to compare the colours directly, you could order single leftover keys from 7bit via the CherryMX bot - there look to be DSA keys in GX and GE in stock, as well as a few HONEY/GREY and HONEY/B (lack)? keys. Unlike Round 5a these are in stock and could be with you within weeks rather than months.

SL89

12 May 2015, 23:12

I have a Graphite set coming my way (it took me eons to get a white alpha set) and i have to say I prefer the difference in shade between Round 5 in Graphite and DSA Dolch. It's very subtle but there is something about DSA Dolch that i find to be missing.

Kelvin

12 May 2015, 23:16

Good catch on the space bar! Thank you! It will go on a TKL ANSI board with a standard bottom row.

Also, thanks for the information on the colors. I don't consider myself to be a stickler for specific colors, but I guess it's better to eliminate surprises if I'm spending a lot and waiting a long, long time. Thanks again!

Edit: Also, what was the Graphite set priced at for round 5? I guess I should be kicking myself over that.

Muirium
µ

12 May 2015, 23:21

$139 according to my receipt. But that's for the OCD-soothing completeness that is the full TENKLESS kit:

If you're going black, go black. I've got some Cherry white on black doubleshots on my NovaTouch just now (kindly sent my way by DanielT) and they're quite the lookers. Similarly, my favourite Round 5 Extra duck is of course the black:

http://deskthority.net/vendors-f52/hone ... ro#p187432

Dolch is a nice enough scheme, but I prefer to go all the way to black when I've got the excuse.

SL89

12 May 2015, 23:24

I wonder how double shot black on black would look...

Muirium
µ

12 May 2015, 23:25

In the dark, with sunglasses.

Kelvin

12 May 2015, 23:29

Thanks for linking your pictures, Muirium. I'm still finding my way around here.

Muirium
µ

12 May 2015, 23:30

Good luck! Round 5 used to be diving in the deep end. But at this stage, no one's sure there's a floor any more…

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

12 May 2015, 23:38

Graphite will evoke certain IBM beam spring keyboards (just not with this crazy data entry layout):
http://deskthority.net/photos-f62/ibm-b ... ml#p177396
SL89 wrote: I wonder how double shot black on black would look...
If you're going to have that, you'll need keypress-triggered black backlighting to complete it. Just don't get too attached...
Muirium wrote: Good luck! Round 5 used to be diving in the deep end. But at this stage, no one's sure there's a floor any more…
I can't help thinking it simply loops back to the surface of another, even more enticing round.

SL89

13 May 2015, 00:00

You know those diagrams / illustrations of the dept of the ocean? We are almost at the Marianas Trench...

Also, black on black errthang :D

beltet

13 May 2015, 00:09

@7bit
Almost two weeks since last update! Please satisfy my keycap addiction!

Muirium
µ

13 May 2015, 00:31

Having a look at his profile, I see he's been real distracted lately. Sorting a few caps, perhaps?

janvkn

13 May 2015, 00:39

Kelvin wrote: Good catch on the space bar! Thank you! It will go on a TKL ANSI board with a standard bottom row.

Also, thanks for the information on the colors. I don't consider myself to be a stickler for specific colors, but I guess it's better to eliminate surprises if I'm spending a lot and waiting a long, long time. Thanks again!

Edit: Also, what was the Graphite set priced at for round 5? I guess I should be kicking myself over that.
Also keep in mind that Dolch DSA itself is a "replica" set, the colors don't exactly match the original Cherry made Dolch colors.

The grey in GMK/Cherry Dolch is colder/bluer/less brownish than in Dolch DSA.

nsz962

13 May 2015, 01:10

Muirium wrote: Round 5 is over a year late too.
The other day, I wondered, have we passed a sixth of a decade yet?

helveticaman

13 May 2015, 22:31

SL89 wrote: Also, black on black errthang :D
Okay, Long time lurker here, first time poster (hello!) and group buy participant (the eventual Round5a that is)...

Anyhow after toying with several color combos for my Round5a order, I finally decided on all black key caps.
Spoiler:
My inspiration comes from the Model 500 Telephone which has a very classic look that I adore.

So my question is this, what kind of keyboard would work best underneath the sexy spherical black keycaps that I'll get in about a year or so? :roll: I have a CODE keyboard right now, but it has a very dull, matte-like finish to it and I'm looking for something a bit more glossy and smooth (spherical, even) like the phone above. 8-) Does such a thing exist? The closest I could find would be Das Keyboard 4C Ultimate but I figured I'd check here first and see what y'all think. Any ideas?

scottc

13 May 2015, 22:34

I think a stark white keyboard would look fantastic underneath those keycaps. Particularly a glossy white one.

SL89

13 May 2015, 22:46

helveticaman wrote:
SL89 wrote: Also, black on black errthang :D
Okay, Long time lurker here, first time poster (hello!) and group buy participant (the eventual Round5a that is)...

Anyhow after toying with several color combos for my Round5a order, I finally decided on all black key caps.
Spoiler:
My inspiration comes from the Model 500 Telephone which has a very classic look that I adore.

So my question is this, what kind of keyboard would work best underneath the sexy spherical black keycaps that I'll get in about a year or so? :roll: I have a CODE keyboard right now, but it has a very dull, matte-like finish to it and I'm looking for something a bit more glossy and smooth (spherical, even) like the phone above. 8-) Does such a thing exist? The closest I could find would be Das Keyboard 4C Ultimate but I figured I'd check here first and see what y'all think. Any ideas?

Hey there, I have the Code as well, and short of refinishing it or finding a compatible case in the colorway you want we are kind SOL. I'm not wholly sure, but i think the CODE guts do fit into Filco cases (don't quote me on that) with very little modification, I'm not sure if they have the aesthetic you are looking for, but they might be the right direction to starting looking in. Also, Welcome to DeskThority.

helveticaman

13 May 2015, 23:09

scottc wrote: I think a stark white keyboard would look fantastic underneath those keycaps. Particularly a glossy white one.
I've considered the white Filco but the result, while fantastic, is a bit to adult contemporary for what I'm looking for. I mentioned the Das Keyboard but I think it's the wrong one—their model s is the glossy one I think. I might also change my mind about the black caps and go back to the SPH kit because I was pretty happy with that idea back when I ordered it...
SL89 wrote: Hey there, I have the Code as well, and short of refinishing it or finding a compatible case in the colorway you want we are kind SOL. I'm not wholly sure, but i think the CODE guts do fit into Filco cases (don't quote me on that) with very little modification, I'm not sure if they have the aesthetic you are looking for, but they might be the right direction to starting looking in. Also, Welcome to DeskThority.
I'm happy with the Code and my DSA Eve set that's on there right now, and if in a year or whenever we get the caps I don't have anything else then it'll be just fine. I just wish we had a better selection, hardware wise (or even case wise—I could just build my own) but I think the classic aesthetic that I'm looking for doesn't exist for mechanical keyboards just yet. The landscape is mostly ruled by the gaming aesthetic which isn't really for me.

Return to “Group buys”