[IC] Set to complement vitage WoB Cherry DS

tinnie

21 Feb 2014, 12:01

Yes.

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

21 Feb 2014, 13:03

Josh wrote:Why not do the whole set
Because that is not the purpose of this set. The purpose is to make a lot of incompatible WoB sets work with winkey and winkeyless keyboards.

quochung1989
Vintage Cherry Collector

21 Feb 2014, 13:45

Yeah. Please not go to win8 logo. It is ugly :(

damorgue

21 Feb 2014, 14:39

I think one of the issues with previous GMKI buys have been the weird legends. It is the reason why I haven't joined them. Win legend doesn't bother me as much as inconsistent use of symbol/text legend or the use of wrong symbols.

guilleguillaume

21 Feb 2014, 15:09

I got my WoB set with 1.5 modifiers and 7u spacebar from tinnie time ago. I'm just waiting for the GH60 to finally arrive to put them on.

HzFaq

21 Feb 2014, 15:14

guilleguillaume wrote:I got my WoB set with 1.5 modifiers and 7u spacebar from tinnie time ago. I'm just waiting for the GH60 to finally arrive to put them on.
I got a set from tinnie too, my spacebar has a mirror finish though and I could do with a full sized right shift so I'd go in for a moggle type kit as well.

quochung1989
Vintage Cherry Collector

21 Feb 2014, 15:56

damorgue wrote:I think one of the issues with previous GMKI buys have been the weird legends. It is the reason why I haven't joined them. Win legend doesn't bother me as much as inconsistent use of symbol/text legend or the use of wrong symbols.
Can you talk more issue about symbol & text legend ?

Mooby

24 Mar 2014, 15:36

Exactly what I was looking for. Would love to see this happen.

tinnie

01 Apr 2014, 13:04

Got a quote for this set - they said it should be around €28 for 250 sets.

Suggestions?
Attachments
moggle.jpg
moggle.jpg (196.74 KiB) Viewed 3956 times

7bit

01 Apr 2014, 13:28

Windows 8 looks bad because it is in a perspective view and therefore stupid on a key cap.
:mad:

The normal windows flag looks quite OK.

Halvar

01 Apr 2014, 14:47

GMK's normal windows flag doesn't look great, even less great is the old menu cap. I prefer Windows 8 style for this. It's the (dark) Microsoft future, too!

Nice set, I would surely buy it as it is. If I could have a wish, it would be a second center stemmed caps lock instead of the stepped one, because the stepped one is what is on every vintage set anyway.

quochung1989
Vintage Cherry Collector

01 Apr 2014, 14:57

Same 7bit. I like window flag legend, even windows 95 legend is the best :)

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

01 Apr 2014, 14:58

Yeah, there is not really any alternatives to the Win8 logo imo, atleast not from GMK.

I am with Halvar on the stepped Caps Lock, it's not really needed as most WoB sets already have it and if not, should be fairly easy to come by.
I don't think however, that it should be exchanged for a second center stemmed Caps Lock, then rather a CTRL or something else, but I'd rather not as a moogle kit should be kept to a minimum!

Is the spacebars included in the €28?

bazh

01 Apr 2014, 15:03

but why not 1x windows key :/

Halvar

01 Apr 2014, 15:40

Broadmonkey wrote:Is the spacebars included in the €28?
Good point -- this GB needs spacebars, preferably separate.

damorgue

01 Apr 2014, 15:47

Halvar wrote:If I could have a wish, it would be a second center stemmed caps lock instead of the stepped one, because the stepped one is what is on every vintage set anyway.
Windowed or not? I don't think Cherry has ever made any WoB windowed stepped caps lock.

Mooby

01 Apr 2014, 17:40

Complete bottom row (including spacebar) and a single capslock key is all I need.

scottc

01 Apr 2014, 17:45

I just need a bottom row, maybe including a Row 4 "Function" key. Anything apart from that is really just fluff for me.

I agree that the Windows 9 key isn't great: needs more Win95!

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

01 Apr 2014, 18:40

damorgue wrote: Windowed or not? I don't think Cherry has ever made any WoB windowed stepped caps lock.
I actually think you are right. I don't think I have ever seen a windowed WoB Caps Lock before. The closest have been either Skidata or GMK Dolch.

In this regard, adding a windowed Caps Lock will raise the Moq for that specific key to 400 instead of the 250, since it's not a double shot key. (I know we can just raise the price, buy 400 and throw away the excessive 150)
But It would be cool if we could get one with clear legends instead!

IvanIvanovich

01 Apr 2014, 18:52

Keeping the lower MOQ is easy with windowed key if you keep them in even numbers. Just do 2 legend style like the lock icon and the upside down shift arrow. This way each set could also potentially cover 2 keyboards like 1 winkey ANSI and 1 winkeyless ISO for example. I would also keep the Fn key and 2 1x1 row B blanks and add 6.25 and 7 spacebar.

Having a clear first shot instead of windowed keys would also be very cool. While I think they can do it technically I have asked them about it several times and never have gotten an answer on it.

Halvar

02 Apr 2014, 09:10

Including two windowed caps lock in every set will raise the price considerably for something only few people can use.

It's more than Moogle already -- it's a Moogle and Tsangan and ISO kit in one set (leaving out spacebars). Let's not blow it up further. Even if we do, 1x1 Windows/Menu seem to make more sense to me (even though I don't need them personally). Vintage sets do have 1x1 Windows, but it's a crappy legend and not doubleshot.

tlt

02 Apr 2014, 11:18

Nice to see this thread waking up! I think we should:
* remove the stepped caps lock
* keep 1x1 Windows/Menu (or two blank 1x1)
* include/offer space bars
* I like the W8 legends better then the old ones especially the menu button is much cleaner

Broadmonkey
Fancy Rank

02 Apr 2014, 13:30

The menu legend is much, much better that any previous iteration and can easily be implemented as FN since it looks like a stack of layers.

Halvar

02 Apr 2014, 16:15

7bit

02 Apr 2014, 16:35

Windows 8 is the most uninspired thing Microsoft produced, ever!

In earlier decades, they tried to keep up with the real computer world and copied a lot of stuff from others, including real source codes (CP/M, OS/2) and development departments (VMS from DEC).

A firm which has never been innovative in more than 30 years, can't become innovative over night. Microsoft is even worse than Kodak, because Kodak at least invented some great film material, a very long time ago, before they became uninnovative. Others won the film marked and produce great digital cameras today (Fuji) while Kodak is dying.

My prediction is that MS will be bankrupt within the next 10 years, because the stationary PC marked (home and office) will die almost entirely and they will never ever get a significant marked share in the new marked (tablet and phones), so their old vendor-lock-in business model will never work out again.

Muirium
µ

02 Apr 2014, 19:19

Windows 8 is great. It's a prettier, cleaner, more interesting version of something I won't ever use, compared to the fugly last two, which I didn't use either.

You're right about the tide turning away from them, though. Microsoft will still be in business in 10, 20, 30 years if they're remotely competent at looking after the boring enterprise. Just look at Oracle. Or they could sack all their engineers and concentrate on the important stuff: like IBM. They're doing better than ever, unfortunately…

The one way Microsoft could stay relevant is what they're trying right now: putting the cloud guy in charge. Maybe they'll be the crummy, ugly, expensive and inescapable answer to Dropbox someday. Let's just hope not.

7bit

02 Apr 2014, 19:29

I aggree that IBM will stay in business for the next century, but that is bacause they serve the industry. With MS serving nobody, being not innovative, trying to sell crap as the future of the UI will never work out. You can say about Apple and Steve Jobs what you want, but they understand how GUI for non-technical people should be designed. And even for me: It is no accident that I use a clone of NeXTstep, designed 25 years ago and even more ahead of the windows GUI than ever before!

I'm not sure how much it is configurable, but what I've seen is reallly bad und totally counter-intuitive to most of the potential userbase.

Muirium
µ

02 Apr 2014, 19:45

I use a NeXTStep clone too. Mac OS X!

Used to be that Windows was mandatory. But anyone who uses Windows a few years from now, does so by choice. We're in that painful bit in between where Microsoft's mistakes hurt people who can't control what tools they use. It won't last long, though.

That's why they turfed Ballmer out. He understood the dead end scenario, but he couldn't believe it. They've got to find something else to do while they still can. Just like IBM did.

7bit

02 Apr 2014, 19:56

IBM is a hardware manufacturer, not a software firm. HUGE difference!!!

My opinion: The kit should include the good old SGI logo, or the SUN logo, or the old Cherry logo, or ...
:-)

scottc

02 Apr 2014, 20:08

I agree! :D

Return to “Group buys”