DSA Dolch Scandinavian MOD CANCELED! (Yellow and NO keys moved)

mangaeva

16 Sep 2015, 08:57

Update time! Melissa came back to me with some suggestions regarding the ALT layer symbols. They going to be 0.100 inches tall, however her suggestions regarding the placement didn't please me. She suggested to align the numbers to the left and the ALT layer symbol to the right, this way they don't have to put them so close to the corner. This however would affect the whole look of the keyboard as all the original DSA Dolch keys would have their original alignment. If we left align anything, it would be too much out of place for it to look good in my opinion.

I sent her a new suggestion. Back in January I had the same idea for the ALT layer symbols: Right and horizontally middle align.(Look at the updated preview image in the beginning of the thread)
This keeps the original DSA Dolch look and gives a unique twist in my opinion.

Looking at the MENU button next to the space on the photo and how close the M and U are to the sides, this alignment shouldn't be an issue at all.

I am going to let you guys know what she says and sorry for the changes! While we talked about how PED printing won't be the ideal solution, Melissa didn't mention that the symbol placement is also going to be an issue if I go with double shot only. Should've seen it coming. I hope you guys like the updated look!

zslane

16 Sep 2015, 09:34

I hope the goal is for the FN and ESC legends to match the existing ones in size, shape, and color?

And I'm in only as long as these remain double-shot, like the rest of my Dolch set.

mangaeva

16 Sep 2015, 09:45

zslane wrote: I hope the goal is for the FN and ESC legends to match the existing ones in size, shape, and color?

And I'm in only as long as these remain double-shot, like the rest of my Dolch set.
Hei zslane. Absolutely!
I have pointed out to Melissa that the whole goal of this Mod is to add to the Existing design, not changing. Font sizes for the original characters, colours, alignment has to be exactly as it is on the Original DSA Dolch set. This includes the ESC and FN keys. They are nothing new, so they has to be the same size and colour(in case of the FN key). Only the ALT layer symbols which are unique to this set are planned to be a different size to better differentiate them from the Main and SHIFT layer symbols.

Muirium
µ

16 Sep 2015, 10:12

I'm also out if they're not doubleshot.

mangaeva

16 Sep 2015, 11:04

Muirium wrote: I'm also out if they're not doubleshot.
Yush. To point it out again, they are going to be doubleshot.~

In the beginning of the concept I was thinking about having yellow ALT layer legends instead of the white ones. SP told me it's only possible with PED printing, but I didn't prefer PED printing at all so I dropped the yellow ALT layer legend idea. Doubleshot is the reason why everything is white now. The only mistake I made was that the positioning what was possible with PED printing, wasn't possible with the Doubleshot method. Hence I had to realign the ALT layer legends. I hope this clears things up. :)

mangaeva

16 Sep 2015, 11:07

Also added the following line to the intro text "Method of production: Doubleshot" so that everyone can see it.

zslane

16 Sep 2015, 19:31

Great! Looking forward to it.

7bit

16 Sep 2015, 19:42

Does anybody need 1.5 units ALT keys and some other Dolch DSA keys?
:-)

zslane

16 Sep 2015, 19:51

7bit wrote: Does anybody need 1.5 units ALT keys and some other Dolch DSA keys?
Well now that you mention it, do you have the deep dish F and J with normal size legends?

romevi

16 Sep 2015, 22:28

7bit wrote:Does anybody need 1.5 units ALT keys and some other Dolch DSA keys?
I do, but first I gotta pay my Round 5a order. ;)

zslane

17 Sep 2015, 00:58

mangaeva wrote: In the beginning of the concept I was thinking about having yellow ALT layer legends instead of the white ones. SP told me it's only possible with PED printing...
SP needs to figure out how to do triple-shot keycaps! :mrgreen:

mangaeva

17 Sep 2015, 08:34

BAD NEWS!

zslane SP also needs to figure out some other things it seems.
I got to know that the first round I was in discussion with SP about a doubleshot Norwegian mod (which included 7 custom legends), the pricing they gave me (9,8 USD) was totally unrealistic. I based this design upon that particular price and boy I was wrong.

Melissa told me that she didn't include the cost of custom legends in the first quote she gave me, which basically renders the price given useless. Then I was faced with the proper price for this particular set which turned out to be 42 USD/set for a 25 set purchase. Nearly 3 times more than expected.

I am sorry to everyone for having to say this, but due to false data given to me and probably my naivety as well not asking back about a price that seemed to be too good to be true, this particular design WON'T be produced.

I have desperately tried to get an answer out of Melissa regarding how many keycaps I could fit into a 15 USD price tag but she probably failed to understand my request as I couldn't get a clear answer.

I didn't want to call her again so I sticked to email and I still haven't given up hope in making a smaller set.

I am confused about the availability of characters as well, as a lot depends on if a letter such as Å is available for doubleshot production or not. As I understood Melissa yesterday, Scandinavian characters are not available, so they have to make them, thus increasing the price. This has the following consequences:

No Swedish keys. I am sorry my Swedish friends, but I need Norwegian ones so if I have the tiniest hope for a smaller set, I am going with the Å, Ø, Æ.

Also No ALT layer legends. It would've looked amazing, but adding those legends increases the number of custom legend keys that have to be produces.

And lastly most likely no custom Arrow in a broken circle key either.

FINAL try at SP:

As you can probably tell I am quite frustrated. For one I am sad to let you guys down, but also I think SP and I have been constantly misunderstanding each other yesterday. I didn't get detailed answers which I wanted to have to really understand the possibilities and the situation.

I am going to try to get:

Yellow ESC key
Yellow ~' key
Grey Å, Ø, Æ keys

Thank you for your understanding and I am really sorry. I would have loved to give you something awesome.

zslane

17 Sep 2015, 08:41

Well I was in it for the yellow ESC keys (text and icon) and the 1.75u FN key. The yellow ESC text key alone isn't worth buying into, sorry to say I'm going to drop out. It's unfortunate that this didn't work out. I'm surprised they didn't have molds already for the uppercase Scand characters; surely they've made those before in DSA profile!

romevi

17 Sep 2015, 08:43

Wow. That sucks, man.
Unfortunately, I have no use for the other keys and really wanted the Esc and broken arrow caps. Paying the premium for Esc only isn't worth it for me, so I sadly have to rescind my financial support.

Best of luck to the set, and, if there's any way to get the above-mentioned caps only, I still am interested!

mangaeva

17 Sep 2015, 08:59

romevi wrote: Wow. That sucks, man.
Unfortunately, I have no use for the other keys and really wanted the Esc and broken arrow caps. Paying the premium for Esc only isn't worth it for me, so I sadly have to rescind my financial support.

Best of luck to the set, and, if there's any way to get the above-mentioned caps only, I still am interested!
Thank you!
My plan romevi, depending on the price and amount of keycaps I can include AND if the Scandinavian characters really do have molds already, that I want to have the broken arrow caps made (It's a really neat design), but right now I concentrate on what I definitely need/want to have.

mangaeva

19 Sep 2015, 19:41

Update can be read at the beginning of the thread! :) Good news finally!

mangaeva

19 Sep 2015, 20:10

Updated new thread is LIVE. Here is the sneak peak at the set:

Link:
http://deskthority.net/group-buys-f50/d ... 11604.html

Return to “Group buys”