Price Check: How much is my _____ worth?

LLRnR
\m/

10 Jan 2015, 16:54

vegabondUK wrote: A pointer to an idiots guide to getting a DIN5 plug keyboard to work on a modern' USB driven' PC would also be great
I recently received an old BTC keyboard that a sysadmin found in the storage room. It was labeled 'functional' and it was supposed to be a 'semi-mechanical keyboard'. It featured an AT (5-DIN) plug. My solution was to acquire a 5-DIN-to-PS/2 adapter (this one) and then a PS/2-to-USB adapter reputed for being actually able to work with PS/2 keyboards (this one). Unfortunately, it turns out my BTC board didn't work after all :( Not even the LEDs came on. But the general approach should be something like this. Good luck!

Abra

11 Jan 2015, 22:50

I came across a Cherry G81-3000SAB. The board itself is yellowed a bit and has a few marks I can't clean easily. Sadly, two of the arrow keys are pretty scratched up. Also the N has some dents in it and the Enter key is shiny. The rest of the keycaps are in good condition.

It's my first time up close with Cherry Dye subs and they're definitely nice. Just a shame it's not a layout I use so I wondered what a fair price would be for it considering the flaws it has?

scottc

11 Jan 2015, 23:04

I'm not sure of the worth, but I'm sure that any Belgian-layout user would be delighted to take it off your hands.

Abra

11 Jan 2015, 23:12

Thanks for the reply scottc! I'll take some pics in daylight tomorrow. It was funny to see how white the keycaps still were compared to the board.

scottc

11 Jan 2015, 23:19

No problem! Yeah, that's often a pretty good sign that caps are PBT. :D

If I had to take a stab at the worth, I'd probably say... lots.

photekq
Cherry Picker

11 Jan 2015, 23:30

Abra, if you decide to sell that.. Please only sell to someone who speaks Belgian. Those boards are very rare and have the nicest MX keycaps available anywhere, and deserve to be in the hands of someone that can use them, rather than some manic collector.

Abra

11 Jan 2015, 23:39

Hey Photekq! Yeah I would like that as well. I was just really curious to the quality of the dye sub and now I know I would like to have the Qwerty version some day! :)
I was thinking maybe I could use certain parts but then it would mean i'd have to Frankenstein a board with different keycaps while some would go unused, which would be a shame.

I wouldn't think there would be maniac collectors of sorts who'd buy anything dye sub just because of the dye sub. :lol:

scottc

11 Jan 2015, 23:48

I wouldn't be so sure about that! I'm thinking of that guy that got 7 ISO dyesub boards just so that he could have a full bottom-row of 1.25U dyesub keys...

IvanIvanovich

12 Jan 2015, 00:48

Yes, selling it to a Belgian would be ideal. It's only fair for hard to find layout to go to someone that uses them daily. Though... I would most certainly buy it too. I don't have BE layout in my collection... though I have FR so it's probably good enough... azerty is crazy anyway. Anyway, as far as value for just the keycaps, I would probably say at least 75€ being conservative based on your description... likely will be able to get much more, perhaps as much as 150€.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Jan 2015, 08:05

Abra wrote: […] G81-3000SAB […] Sadly, two of the arrow keys are pretty scratched up. Also the N has some dents in it and the Enter key is shiny […]
I have an incomplete SAD from which you could have at least some replacement keys for the scratched up ones. Which arrow keys would you need, and are they A or B profile? Is there just a symbol or also the word "Entrée" (like on French AZERTY) on the Enter key?

Regarding the value, I would rate it in the same range as IvanIvanovich. Your Belgian dyesubs are only the second set I ever came across, the first one being my NIB G81-3000 SPB - which is not for sale because I'm one of those "maniac collectors" :mrgreen:

scottc

12 Jan 2015, 11:07

In photekq's defence, he did say "manic" and not "maniac" - which is slightly better, I suppose (?) :mrgreen:

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Jan 2015, 11:23

I wasn't quoting photekq, but:
Abra wrote: […] I wouldn't think there would be maniac collectors of sorts who'd […]
Anyway, I have no problem with either word - at least in that context :mrgreen:

photekq
Cherry Picker

12 Jan 2015, 12:26

In my defence, I'm also a manic collector. It pained me to type those words, but I did it to defend those caps from myself and others like myself :mrgreen:

I've seen a few more sets. There was a NIB G81-3100SPB on ebay which sold for a very low price. Belgian user Paranoid also has a few sets I believe. But yes, they are among the rarest of keycap sets out there.

Abra

12 Jan 2015, 16:01

scottc wrote: I wouldn't be so sure about that! I'm thinking of that guy that got 7 ISO dyesub boards just so that he could have a full bottom-row of 1.25U dyesub keys...
Wow that's crazy but dedicated!
IvanIvanovich wrote: Yes, selling it to a Belgian would be ideal. It's only fair for hard to find layout to go to someone that uses them daily. Though... I would most certainly buy it too. I don't have BE layout in my collection... though I have FR so it's probably good enough... azerty is crazy anyway. Anyway, as far as value for just the keycaps, I would probably say at least 75€ being conservative based on your description... likely will be able to get much more, perhaps as much as 150€.
Thanks for the estimate IvanIvanovich!
kbdfr wrote:
Abra wrote: […] G81-3000SAB […] Sadly, two of the arrow keys are pretty scratched up. Also the N has some dents in it and the Enter key is shiny […]
I have an incomplete SAD from which you could have at least some replacement keys for the scratched up ones. Which arrow keys would you need, and are they A or B profile? Is there just a symbol or also the word "Entrée" (like on French AZERTY) on the Enter key?

Regarding the value, I would rate it in the same range as IvanIvanovich. Your Belgian dyesubs are only the second set I ever came across, the first one being my NIB G81-3000 SPB - which is not for sale because I'm one of those "maniac collectors" :mrgreen:
Thanks for the offer but I think that would be wasted on me anyway since i've decided to part with the board. I've included some pics!
scottc wrote: In photekq's defence, he did say "manic" and not "maniac" - which is slightly better, I suppose (?) :mrgreen:
Oh my bad, i totally misread that! I was imaginining some mad cackling KB collecting Dr Robotnik kinda endboss. :lol:

Now i'm not really sure if the board is yellowed or that it's just the natural beige colour of the case. I guess the white keycaps throw me off.

http://imgur.com/a/uIJ9Y

scottc

12 Jan 2015, 16:27

No need to apologise, I was just being silly!

Really nice board. I doubt that anyone cares about the case condition, though, it's those lovely keycaps that they're after...

kbdfr
The Tiproman

12 Jan 2015, 18:20

Abra wrote:
kbdfr wrote: I have an incomplete SAD from which you could have at least some replacement keys for the scratched up ones. […]
Thanks for the offer but I think that would be wasted on me anyway since i've decided to part with the board. […]
I was well aware you intend to part with it, but damaged caps surely reduce its value.
I find it's a pity anyway not to "repair" this beautiful set considering I have the corresponding spares.

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

13 Jan 2015, 07:18

I'm getting ready to take apart my unitech K-155 keyboard to salvage switches from but before I do I want to make sure I'm not destroying something that may be of more value to someone else. I haven't seen a picture of A-155 online let alone one for sale so I don't know if they're uncommon or just junk. It has 95 cherry white stem switches. And a slide switch on the back to switch from XT to AT. Anyone here know if it has any value other than salvage

IvanIvanovich

13 Jan 2015, 17:51

Have no idea what model it is since can't find it online... maybe a picture so we know what it is even?

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

15 Jan 2015, 21:03

Sorry for the delay here are the pictures of the K-155 board I have. I'm not totally sure on the switches.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

15 Jan 2015, 21:12

Wow, I love it! It could partner my Unitek K-158...

So long as those switches are MX compatible (and do they click?), I would consider a trade for new MX switches or purchase.

I could do great things with those 1.25 F keys!

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

15 Jan 2015, 21:20

The switches do not click, and the F-Keys are kind of cool

rsbseb
-Horned Rabbit-

15 Jan 2015, 21:35

here's a couple more pics. The switches are soldered in with 4 pins

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

15 Jan 2015, 22:10

This board looks like a Nixdorf.

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

15 Jan 2015, 22:53

One final question, is it working (when switched to AT)?

If so, I really would like to buy it, in money or MX switches.

scottc

15 Jan 2015, 23:04

Looks like a dream board for SA switches, facet! If only we could get SA big-ass enters...

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

15 Jan 2015, 23:27

Heh, how did you know? ;)

I could believe there might be SA big-ass enters eventually. To fill that space, I'd go for an ISO enter with a 2u pos enter, though in reality the ISO probaly won't fit - though a 2u vertical numpad enter probably will.

The 10 unit space bar would be the biggest challenge here, again there will be a way to deal with it - failing all else attaching two space bars together and resetting the mounts. I'm signing up for a lot of work here!

I love the structure of the layout, it's like an alternate space saving 122 (fewer function keys on the top and the left).

scottc

15 Jan 2015, 23:34

Those are some very funky 1.25U (?) Fn keys, too! The spacebar should be pretty interesting. Have you checked out SP's inventory to see if they have any 10u spacebars in SA there?

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

15 Jan 2015, 23:45

The double stepped "hat" keycaps are always plus, yeah! Looking forward to seeing those in Round 6 8)

SP's inventory lists seems to be gone, not sure what's going on there. They say they make a 10 unit space in DCS, don't have one listed for SA though - but indeed, they could have the tooling lurking... :o

rsbseb, I've sent you a PM :)

scottc

15 Jan 2015, 23:46

Yeah, I can't find it either... I've been searching since I posted that. That's weird. :(

facetsesame
Mad Dasher

15 Jan 2015, 23:51

It used to live here: http://keycapsdirect.com/inventorypdfs/ ... entory.pdf
Last I saw these I think they were last updated in November.

The keyshop site has only five options now instead of six where the Overstock used to be. Did 7bit get sent all they had left?

Return to “Marketplace Help”