G80-3800

sixty
Gasbag Guru

21 Mar 2012, 16:51

Just arrived. Some impressions. Full review tomorrow'ish.

Without giving too much away, a preview of a part of my initial impression on one part of the board, more specifically the capslock key:

rindorbrot

21 Mar 2012, 16:56

omg, another different Capslock...
WHY CHERRY, WHY???

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Mar 2012, 16:59

That's one ugly keyboard.
I wonder why the cross isn't centered, which would be logical at least for non-stepped capslock. And they shaved off excess plastic around the cross. Nice logos, except that crud will accumulate there.
EDIT: Oh I see the caps lock is slanted, so the cross is sort of centered, on the flat part. So now we have stepped, unstepped and slanted.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

21 Mar 2012, 17:06

Yeah, not sure why they did not just go with a center stem, would have been fine I am sure. On the bright side they have abandoned their 6.25 non-centered spacebar mount and now use the default 6.25 size mount, which is identical to Filco, etc...

Also for those with odd layouts such as colemak or dvorak: This board actually uses the same profile on all keycaps. You can freely switch these around to match any layout as far as basic legends go.

webwit
Wild Duck

21 Mar 2012, 17:10

Nice, but isn't that just another cheapening at the expense of quality? They need to make less different keys, and the board isn't curved like a Model M, so you have an unergonomic flat key matrix.

mintberryminuscrunch

21 Mar 2012, 17:10

I really don't get what cherrys reasoning was behind this keyboard

Charlie_Brown_MX

21 Mar 2012, 17:14

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:I really don't get what cherrys reasoning was behind this keyboard
The *idea* of a smaller, Cherry-made keyboard is a good one. It’s just unfortunate that the execution is so unappealing.

byFd

21 Mar 2012, 17:14

i like the looks.
looks very good for a black board xD

rodtang

21 Mar 2012, 17:17

mintberryminuscrunch wrote:I really don't get what cherrys reasoning was behind this keyboard
Low price mainly.

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

21 Mar 2012, 18:09

That is one fuck ugly cherry board. I'm going to have to resist talking about cherry capslocks... Cherry is weird. For example G80-8113 boards have a single clear switch on F24. And the diode is next to the switch instead of inside.

Kurk

21 Mar 2012, 20:25

I have to say that I like the appearance of this board. It has kind of a monolithic character, like being cut from a slab of slate. The shallow slope at the right side of the caps lock key fits that look very well.

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

21 Mar 2012, 20:28

That new capslock is the worst I've seen from cherry. Unless somebody posts a picture of an even worse one.

hoggy

21 Mar 2012, 20:43

I don't like the look, but it seems to be following the other manufacturers - looks a lot like the new style crappy dell rubber dome.

"There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey."

cactux

21 Mar 2012, 20:49

[Account and posts deleted on request]

guilleguillaume

21 Mar 2012, 22:11

hoggy wrote:I don't like the look, but it seems to be following the other manufacturers - looks a lot like the new style crappy dell rubber dome.

"There is scarcely anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse, and sell a little more cheaply. The person who buys on price alone is this man's lawful prey."
This Dell is the worst keyboard I've ever typed on and sadly I have to deal with it sometimes at work. I'm lucky enough to have some computers with Unicomp membrane keyboards connected that are more pleasant to type on, kind of super tactile.

Sixty
,Do you think a nice set of keys can improve this keyboard and make it a better keyboard overall than a G80-3000? I supose you will be able to asnwer once you've done a review :P

Since it is fullsize I'm not interested in it though.

ripster

22 Mar 2012, 00:52

It looks to me like Cherry Corp was simply following "The Law of Thirds".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_thirds

I prefer domed window keys. Easier to locate by touch.

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

22 Mar 2012, 01:08

Flat xp style windows keys are my preference.

harrison

22 Mar 2012, 04:54

i'm surprised that the windows key isn't 1) domed or 2) win8 logo.

that said, i actually really like it, and am seriously thinking of picking one up with browns. i'm really looking forward to your review.

The_Ed
Asperger's... SQUIRREL!

22 Mar 2012, 05:12

Windows 8 can go fuck itself. I'll stick with XP and 7.

sixty
Gasbag Guru

22 Mar 2012, 14:28

Review up.

tinnie

23 Mar 2012, 07:54

cactux wrote:And they keep making full size Keyboards :-|. BTW what is the average price of this hugly board
um... about 45EUR, and it is made in china :( :( :(

Return to “Gallery”