CeeSA

12 Jun 2013, 21:30

Got this mouse recently.

Without testing it in deep I am very disappointed:

- look and feel is very flimsy
- the upper and the lower side feels very slippery
- side buttons are to far to the front
- side buttons are very easy to activate
- the shape and that slippery cover didn't allow me to lift the mouse fast and save
- scrollwheel very loud if I scroll up (normal noise if I scroll down)

+ sensor seems fine to me
+ LED could be turn off via software
+ Mousebutton 1-3 are fine

Have to do a few (little) mods to make it usable.

Here some first results:
behind.jpg
behind.jpg (149.39 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
top.jpg
top.jpg (91.07 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
bottom.jpg
bottom.jpg (114 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
left.jpg
left.jpg (124.91 KiB) Viewed 3645 times
right.jpg
right.jpg (107.38 KiB) Viewed 3645 times

Further ToDo's:
Cable sleeving
Griptape
Replace button 8 and 9 to a rechable position
and maybe the genius mousemod from Mr. Interface
Last edited by CeeSA on 12 Jun 2013, 22:54, edited 1 time in total.

Jmneuv

12 Jun 2013, 21:56

u mad?

thing that comes to mind.. don't store less than 2 profiles on the memory.. it starts to misbehave otherwise (settings not applying without replugging and similar)

CeeSA

12 Jun 2013, 22:53

what are you talking about? Software?
I talk about the hardware :roll:

cookie

13 Jun 2013, 10:23

Why would you mod a mouse you dislike tha much? I'd sell that gnawer and buy something else.
Anyway I am curios how this will turn out ;)

CeeSA

13 Jun 2013, 12:20

cookie wrote:Why would you mod a mouse you dislike tha much? I'd sell that gnawer and buy something else.
Anyway I am curios how this will turn out ;)
"something else" is very very limited.
For Gamers the A3090 sensor seems to be without alternatives beside the Deathadder sensor.

I like the shape of the RAT3 or Deathadder. But there are tracking limitations (FW/lens) or to less buttons (6 is minimum).

I dislike the shape of G400 with the embedded mousebuttons 1 and 2, although I used it a long time....

Actual there is no mouse filling my needs. Maybe I will try the Corsair M40, mod the G400 or make a new mouse shape by myself....

cookie

14 Jun 2013, 10:19

CeeSA wrote:... For Gamers the A3090 sensor seems to be without alternatives beside the Deathadder sensor ...
And what makes this sensor so superior over the rest of the sensors on the market?

CeeSA

14 Jun 2013, 10:53

With the right lens and Firmware is this (and his Logitech derivatives) one of a very few Sensors w/o any acceleration or prediction and with excellent tracking even for lowsenser w/ high speed usage.

cookie

14 Jun 2013, 15:24

What games are you playing? Because I own a mx518 (that mouse is legendary) and a g9 which I got for 4€ via eBay.
I never noticed a huge difference in mouse senors, they are all pretty much sophisticated these days. And I never used a mouse to it's full DPI, all time maximum was like 800DPI. I played Counter Strike on a competitive lvl for jears and the mx518 served me well! My g518 is still in a good condition and I'd like to keep it, but the metal logitech logo is corrided over the years and its looking ugly. I like the g9 for it's sensor and form, really nice one. Unfortunetaly it ended up as my mouse in the office because of the terrible middle mouse button and the shitty thumb buttons.

The most improvement I felt when I switched from my Logitech Dual Optic to a MX510 man that was huge!
Then the mx518 came out and is was a bit of improvement because of the better sensor and you could play on different surfaces. But the step from MX518 to g9 was somehow a downgrade... the sensor is nice but overall the MX518 simply kills the g9!

I really like the products of steelseries because they look simply, beautiful, mature and on point. They don't have bullshit like different weights, 2 dimensional mouse scroll (there are no words for how much I hate this stuff), a bazillion LEDs inside and all that childish stuff... they are just so simple and nice!

Somehow can't wait to get rid of my logitech stuff at home, I don't like this company anymore because of certain things...

Anyway, I am really interested how your own molding will turn out.

CeeSA

14 Jun 2013, 15:50

MX518 was a good mouse with a good sensor (optical illuminated ). Of course I had once back in the days. The G9 has a A6090 (laser illuminated sensor) - I don't now exatcly about the bad sides of this sensor. But like other laser illuminated sensor, I assume tracking problems, prediction and acceleration.

Steelseries use the Avago 9500 or more worse 9800 (MLG Version).
If you could live with a little positive acceleration the 9500 is ok. Beside from the sensor I like their mice too.

I play BFBC2, BF3 at about 45cm/360 degree. And I like to set my DPI higher when I enter a tank or a heli.

But if I am pleased by a product from a company I don't like anymore, I would give up buying new products from them. I would keep the item I already own.

Execpt the product was made out of blood from unborn children or they supports any radical political theses.

cookie

14 Jun 2013, 16:10

I am aiming for a steeleries sensei raw, and I read about that you can turn of acceleration and correction with the software. Without that I wouldn't dig into this. As I said, the g9 was 4€ ebay, he sold it as damaged but the profiles was screwed up, after resetting all were fine :D As I said, I like the g9 for it's sensor and form but the middle mousebutton and thum buttons are so bad and I really need them when playing Dota2. I have never noticed problems with the G9 or MX518 Sensor and believe me I am super picky when it comes to input devices!

Switching DPI is not that important for me because I always stick to the same sensitivity, a pretty low one.

I like the Microsoft Intellimous 3.0, classy, simple undestroyable. Thats how a mouse should be.
The steelseries editions are verry nice as well but the price is... wow just to much for my taste.
And with that mouse you are some kind of Gaming Mouse Hipster, it is rare it is expensive and it has a really good reputation around FPS gamers ;)

Haha you are right, my love for logitech is totally gone... I will keep the mices but I will never ever buy stuff from them again. Lets hope that Steeleries is not made of blood from unborn children hahaha :D

yeeeargh

14 Jun 2013, 21:21

you should also take a look at the zowie mice. i have a zowie am and i'm quite happy with it. the build quality is really good, and the sensor should be good too. no acceleration and such things. and no software is needed (and non is available as far as i know) and it has no leds.

...but the price... :-(

CeeSA

14 Jun 2013, 22:22

price would be no problem, but I would miss a dpi button...

vun

15 Jun 2013, 01:17

cookie wrote: snip
If the Sensei Raw uses a laser sensor then no, you cannot disable acceleration in the software. Heck, I don't know if the Raw will let you do much of anything in the software.

Although for the games that CeeSa mentioned, BF3 and whatnot, you usually don't need the precision of optical sensors as you can easily compensate for slight acceleration with good map knowledge and learning to control recoil. Even with more precise shooters like CS most people are more likely to hit their own skill ceiling before they reach the limits of their hardware so long as their equipment isn't utter tripe.

Return to “Gallery”