NovaTouch in Granite

webwit
Wild Duck

02 Aug 2014, 00:36

I like that Amiga key. Amiga forever!

Muirium
µ

02 Aug 2014, 00:59

Granite's got both filled red and outlined Amiga keys. I'm thinking of using them as paired mods. Gotta catch 'em all.

c137

17 Sep 2014, 19:42

Sigh, the PBT keycaps I had intended for my Novatouch haven't arrived yet.

Muirium
µ

17 Sep 2014, 19:43

Granite or something else?

c137

17 Sep 2014, 20:00

Not Granite ;)

And I won't disclose them for now - photos will come, hopefully on launchday. The rest of my little review is already done, I just need them keycaps. Otherwise I have a problem, as my Novatouch is ANSI but all my other stuff ISO.

Edit:
So here you can find my pictures and review (in German, though): http://mecha-blog.de/review-cooler-mast ... touch-tkl/

hoichi

16 Oct 2015, 12:33

Wait a minute. This layout is way closer to something Apple than what is shown on the CM site. How come?
Last edited by hoichi on 16 Oct 2015, 12:41, edited 2 times in total.

Muirium
µ

16 Oct 2015, 12:39

Because I use it on my Mac! Pretty simple mod swap:

http://deskthority.net/review-f45/a-tal ... t8968.html

And those Granite caps are a whole lot better than the caps CM ships the keyboard with. Make no mistake, the point of the NovaTouch is to use your own caps.

hoichi

16 Oct 2015, 12:42

No, I meant the Enter, the short left Shift and the tilde next to it.

BTW, I hope it's ok with you, but that looks like Ukrainian layout. Russian one would go «ФЫВА...» in the home row ;)

Muirium
µ

16 Oct 2015, 14:59

That's ISO. CM had me beta test a NovaTouch for them, in German layout. I eventually got a final model, in ANSI, for the review.

Muirium wrote: ANSI - America

ISO - Europe and most of the World

JIS - Japan
As for the Ukrainian legends, the guy who helped Matteo design Cyrillic legends for Granite was indeed from there!

Hypersphere

16 Oct 2015, 16:08

The Granite set certainly is handsome. Unfortunately, I find typing on it difficult with the combination of spherical tops and non-sculpted profile.

Muirium
µ

16 Oct 2015, 16:17

Ever tried a non-sculpted (ie. flat) keyboard that isn't spherical? I found a Tipro maddening. The spherical scoops on DSA, meanwhile, are quite comfy for homing on to.

Hypersphere

16 Oct 2015, 16:34

The only flat/flat keyboard I've used is the one on my Macbook Air. For a laptop keyboard, it isn't bad, but I couldn't imagine having to use the MBA board for serious or prolonged work. I only use the MBA for traveling. Otherwise, it is desktop computers with real keyboards and mice for me.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Oct 2015, 17:19

Muirium wrote: Ever tried a non-sculpted (ie. flat) keyboard that isn't spherical? I found a Tipro maddening. […]
You are confusing things.
Tipros do not differ from any other keyboard with Cherry MX switches: all switches are on an even surface, unlike IBMs with their curved plates. It is not the keyboard which is sculpted, but the set of keycaps.
Tipros have these flat keycaps because they are POS keyboards and not intended for "serious" typing.

Put "normal" keycaps on a Tipro and you have a "normal" keyboard.
But put Granite keycaps on any usual keyboard (meaning here any keyboard with Cherry MX switches)
and what you obtain is all caps on one level, just that each cap has a scoop.
I found that a nightmare to type on and happily sold my Granite set 8-)
Spoiler:
Don’t attack my Tipros, you rubberdome typist! :lol:

Muirium
µ

16 Oct 2015, 17:56

You know what I meant: those MID series (?) flat topped Tipro caps. Fine for pecking at point of sale (DVD, REFUND, CASSETTE…) but a strange experience when really typing. I found them quite disorienting. Naturally, the lack of stagger was the reason on that particular board.

Chiclet keyboards are fine for what they are: space savers of the modern age. I don't find them fiddly, so much as uninspiring, coupled with horrifying ergonomics. I'll take my vintage SSK over all that, any day.

hoichi

16 Oct 2015, 18:16

But does any chiclet scissor keyboard saves any more space than, say, a ThinkPad scissor keyboard? I see why it's not really feasible to put full-blown mechanical switches and tall caps into a laptop, but why go chiclet?

Muirium
µ

16 Oct 2015, 18:20

Because…

Apple's keyboards have very almost zero travel now. And that allows them to make computers as thin as this. These days, Apple is the R&D department for the entire PC industry, so once they went chiclet, everyone did. Difference doesn't sell, apparently.

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Oct 2015, 18:21

Again, there is less difference between Tipro flat keycaps and Granite keycaps than between any of both and regular Cherry keycaps. While Cherry caps have a different profile on each row and the rows thus look like a staircase when viewed from the side (this is what "sculpted" means), Tipro caps as well as Granite caps all have exactly the same form and show an even surface, instead of stairs, when viewed from the side. Tipro caps have a completely flat surface while Granite are concave, that’s all.

hoichi

16 Oct 2015, 18:35

Well, the concave surface should mean they've a great chance of meeting fingers just right when they come at the caps at an angle, effectively doing the same thing that the sculpted profile, right?

Muirium
µ

16 Oct 2015, 18:38

Nah, Kbdfr has a point that there's a difference to sculpt and the shape of a cap's top. DSA doesn't rise up to meet you the way sculpted caps do. But when you do get down to its level, it's got a gorgeous cup to it. Especially on the deep dish caps.
kbdfr wrote: Again, there is less difference between Tipro flat keycaps and Granite keycaps than between any of both and regular Cherry keycaps. While Cherry caps have a different profile on each row and the rows thus look like a staircase when viewed from the side (this is what "sculpted" means), Tipro caps as well as Granite caps all have exactly the same form and show an even surface, instead of stairs, when viewed from the side. Tipro caps have a completely flat surface while Granite are concave, that’s all.
If I'm implying any of that, consider it unimplied, my dear choc! I know what sculpt is. My point is that it's not the only assistance out there for your fingers to locate themselves on the right keys. I don't get lost on DSA, just as I don't get lost on SA or IBM, even without homing bumps!

What I don't like about DSA is how low the back rows feel, especially the function row. But I can easily live with that. I'm a 60% guy at heart! And especially for the sake of Granite's sublime style and commendable texture and influence on sound on the NovaTouch. That board sounds even more pleasant to me with Granite on than a Realforce. Complete revolution compared to how the NovaTouch handles when fresh out the box!

kbdfr
The Tiproman

16 Oct 2015, 18:49

hoichi wrote: Well, the concave surface should mean they've a great chance of meeting fingers just right when they come at the caps at an angle, effectively doing the same thing that the sculpted profile, right?
Not really. You just cannot simultaneously press, say, O and L on sculpted caps, and you even couldn’t if they had a flat surface.
So the point is not the flat surface, the point is the non-sculpted attribute.

But I think I wouldn’t have reacted at all if Tipro keyboards hadn’t been denigrated instead of just their keycaps :mrgreen:

hoichi

16 Oct 2015, 19:11

Oh. Now I see you point. BTW, that makes my Kinesis Advantage non-sculpted by your definition, all its bowl-shapedness notwithstanding.

Return to “Gallery”