Two IBM curios

Parak

07 Sep 2014, 01:25

Wat 1:

ImageIMG_20140831_202842 by parakie, on Flickr

Spotted on an otherwise perfectly regular XT. Maybe the machine decided to stop firing it's lazor.

Wat 2:

ImageIMG_20140831_202520 by parakie, on Flickr

Hmm, the tint on a couple of caps is a bit off..

ImageIMG_20140831_202538 by parakie, on Flickr

And the printing is all gone.. ABS caps with pad printing. On an IBM Model F keyboard.

Findecanor

07 Sep 2014, 01:39

I suppose those are third party caps made for a specific application.

The logo could just have been cleaned with alcohol or something. Cleaning fail. At work, I have had to specifically tell the office cleaners to not use their strong cleaning fluids on the computer equipment.

dorkvader

07 Sep 2014, 04:39

Findecanor wrote: I suppose those are third party caps made for a specific application.
Is that an EMR KB I spy? sweet find! Upload images of the inside please, I want to compare it with the other EMR KBs I've seen pictures of.

They could be IBM official caps, they do have a history of making slightly-yellow ABS caps from greenrock. No idea where they got them pad-printed though.
Findecanor wrote: The logo could just have been cleaned with alcohol or something. Cleaning fail. At work, I have had to specifically tell the office cleaners to not use their strong cleaning fluids on the computer equipment.
I thought the IBM logo was lasered? You can see the grain of the metal (where its sanded or whatever) is not interrupted. I guess the laser cut out halfway through and it somehow made it past QA ..?

Even if it's printed it's highly irregular. Those letters are like impossible to get off the metal of the badge.

Plate is in really good shape though.

REVENGE

07 Sep 2014, 05:00

I managed to wipe the IBM lettering clean off of an unsaver's badge...

Damn, maybe I should put it on eBay, claim that it's RARE, and wait for some unsuspecting Parak to bid on it...

Parak

07 Sep 2014, 05:38

REVENGE wrote: I managed to wipe the IBM lettering clean off of an unsaver's badge...

Damn, maybe I should put it on eBay, claim that it's RARE, and wait for some unsuspecting Parak to bid on it...
Well, I mean, an unsaver /is/ rare :P

I'm curious how you managed to do that though. I clean these badges with 91% iso, and they are not affected by it. Some model M and AT bottoms however are made with some sort of smooth plastic that /is/ vulnerable to iso...

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

08 Sep 2014, 12:19

well it´s a rare FRANKEN XT. "Personal Com" is cool. Very TNG. :mrgreen:
Even if it's printed it's highly irregular. Those letters are like impossible to get off the metal of the badge.

Plate is in really good shape though.
yes I agree,that badge is strange. Possiblly a relpaced badge.

andrewjoy

08 Sep 2014, 12:57

Man you are killing me get them horrible ABS caps off that model F!

However i win in the dirty XT competition.

It does look a none standard board i think that it is possible the caps are none standard or a custom order, i just don't see IBM using ABS on its BS caps.

jacobolus

09 Sep 2014, 04:46

REVENGE wrote: I managed to wipe the IBM lettering clean off of an unsaver's badge...

Clearly you wouldn’t want it now that it’s been irreparably damaged like that. You should just send it to me instead.

andrewjoy

09 Sep 2014, 10:11

That would prob be me :P.

Compgeke

10 Sep 2014, 05:35

That first board looks like possibly just a lettering error, nothing much special.

The TPC board though is interesting. Mind taking internal shots when you get a chance?
andrewjoy wrote: However i win in the dirty XT competition.
[image removed].

andrewjoy

10 Sep 2014, 10:22

Is that your haul?

its F 'ing awesome ( see what i did there !)

Return to “Gallery”