Great/Interesting Finds

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

30 May 2015, 14:22

seebart wrote: That looks like the one you got from webwit XMIT.
Yes! For much less than I paid too. The key switch in the upper left is broken. I may pick it up myself if someone doesn't beat me to it. Or I can proxy it for a modest fee.
hammelgammler wrote: Does anyone have experience with that type of switch?
Yes. It's a completely smooth linear switch. Since it is a non-contact mechanism the only thing you feel is the spring. Somewhat annoyingly, the keys are rather heavy, and the Enter has an extra-heavy spring. This can all be fixed of course.

Hall Effect switches are rated to last longer than just about anything else. I wonder, was the COMPUDENT RAFI board that just sold, also Hall Effect?

hammelgammler
Vintage

30 May 2015, 15:06

Sorry for being off topic, but is there any Hall Effect Keyboard in a normal "size" (not beamspring-like) with ANSI layout?
Or is it possible to transfer the switches to something that has an ANSI layout?

It would be definitely nice to try that switch sometimes.

Could it be "modded" to have a force like MX Black or a bit lower, and when yes, how? :)

Well yeah, sorry for being off topic but don't know where else to ask that. :/

kbdfr
The Tiproman

30 May 2015, 16:13

hammelgammler wrote: Sorry for being off topic, but […]
Well yeah, sorry for being off topic but don't know where else to ask that. :/
Muirium a few days ago in this thread:
Muirium wrote: […] (This is off-topic-Thority. Every thread gets to […] after a while, then recovers again. This one's long enough it's probably done so a few times before.)
So don’t worry :mrgreen:

seebart
Offtopicthority Instigator

30 May 2015, 16:36

@XMIT: The compudent is on its way to me now, I'll let you know when it gets here.

@hammelgammler: One might be able to do a spring mod on it.

HzFaq

31 May 2015, 11:18

scottc

31 May 2015, 11:23

The ad says it's UK, but the picture shows ANSI. I assume it's the ISO version though. ANSI model number would be different, right?

HzFaq

31 May 2015, 11:26

ANSI's are 101w (you caught me between edits ;)). I'd check with the seller what it actually is before buying, I've seen sellers call ANSI boards "UK layout" because they're QWERTY so it could just be that.

scottc

31 May 2015, 11:45

After the first edit and before the second! ;) If it's really the ANSI one then it's not a bad deal, they're a bit rarer around here.

HzFaq

31 May 2015, 11:53

Feeding the kids is not the best time to be posting great finds :D.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

31 May 2015, 13:47

Both the RAFI and the NEC keyboard were from the same seller. The seller accepted an offer for both keyboards and is combining shipping. It never hurts to ask.

hammelgammler : all of the Hall Effect switches I've seen have a spring that one can replace. Though, the springs can be any length and diameter. Finding replacement may not be straightforward but they must be available. There is a tiny chance that the spring could have some odd magnetic property that interferes with the sensor but I doubt it. I've only seen Micro Switch and RAFI switches in person.

seebart

31 May 2015, 13:51

Yes very good point XMIT, those may not be "average" springs. But it should not be a problem to try a spring mod and see if you get function.

Muirium
µ

31 May 2015, 13:56

I'm pretty sure the hall effect sensors on those designs didn't rely on the spring itself. IBM went to some lengths to attach other mechanisms onto their spring designs even when they were using capsense which ought to be able to "see" springs directly. I think it all comes down to springs being active, bouncy, highly non-uniform things which sensors find hard to be sure about. With switches, you really want a clean 0 or a 1, without chaos in between. Springs are good chaos!

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Jun 2015, 00:47

www.ebay.de/itm/301649614753 SGI Granite QWERTZ for cheap

www.ebay.de/itm/221788363780 something dolchy (alps?)

www.ebay.de/itm/111681728769 looks similar to hx-20 - cherry?

www.ebay.de/itm/131523901100 expensive but hnnng

scottc

01 Jun 2015, 01:00

Would anyone be up for proxying an SGI Granite to me? If so, how much would it be in total to Ireland or the UK?

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Jun 2015, 01:03

DHL should be around 16€ for parcels between 2-5kg. Can proxy if there's noone from germany picking up one for himself and willing to proxy the other one to you.

scottc

01 Jun 2015, 01:12

guk wrote: DHL should be around 16€ for parcels between 2-5kg. Can proxy if there's noone from germany picking up one for himself and willing to proxy the other one to you.
A local friend of mine is interested in the second one, so would you mind proxying two?

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Jun 2015, 01:16

Sure can do. Looks like the seller is shipping to the UK though, but if that's incorrect I'll pm you my address.

scottc

01 Jun 2015, 01:18

Oh! I didn't notice that at all. Just assumed that the seller would only ship to Germany. I'll just get them shipped directly then. Thanks for that!

guk
1896 Vintage Reds

01 Jun 2015, 01:20

scottc wrote: Oh! I didn't notice that at all. Just assumed that the seller would only ship to Germany. I'll just get them shipped directly then. Thanks for that!
Allright, hope you can enjoy them soon!

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

01 Jun 2015, 14:08

guk wrote: http://www.ebay.de/itm/131523901100 expensive but hnnng
Demn, I wanted that one, it has gone really high.

photekq
Cherry Picker

01 Jun 2015, 14:10

ramnes wrote:
It does come with an engraving machine :lol:

seebart

01 Jun 2015, 14:13

photekq wrote:
ramnes wrote:
It does come with an engraving machine :lol:
Exactly. That pushed up the price. Not the keyboard included.

ramnes
ПБТ НАВСЕГДА

01 Jun 2015, 14:25

Who wants an engraving machine? :D

HzFaq

01 Jun 2015, 15:00

I'm not entirely sure under which of my saved searches this came up under, but it did and it's...unique to say the least.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Multi ... 1e9f945adf

hammelgammler
Vintage

01 Jun 2015, 15:39

HzFaq wrote: I'm not entirely sure under which of my saved searches this came up under, but it did and it's...unique to say the least.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Multi ... 1e9f945adf
LOL, that's some weird looking fusion right here. :D

photekq
Cherry Picker

01 Jun 2015, 15:46

HzFaq wrote: unique
Code-word for disgusting.. :oops:

HzFaq

01 Jun 2015, 16:00

It has bunny-ears (sort of), it's kind of cute.

XMIT
[ XMIT ]

01 Jun 2015, 21:09

Who here is in MA? There is a lot of Model F keyboards waiting for you. All you have to do is to go and get it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121665253698

chzel

01 Jun 2015, 21:18

Wow, someone really should get this lot!

Muirium
µ

01 Jun 2015, 21:18

Madagascar or Madrid?

Return to “Other external”