Deskthority ALPS keyboard Project

pasph

04 Mar 2013, 14:42

7bit has already said that he thinks it can be done

Trev

04 Mar 2013, 14:44

maxmalkav wrote:Apart from 7bit Hyper project, which are the other existing projects that could be use as starting point for developing such a 60% ALPS thing?

Regarding 7bit is the creator of the Hyper PCB and he is also selling Matias switches, he would be the first interested one in providing a ALPS-compatible PCB, just saying ...
Yep. HyperMini looks perfect for some ALPS action (there's PCB diagrams in the thread somewhere too).

maxmalkav
dye hard

04 Mar 2013, 15:04

Maybe we should join efforts and offer some help to 7bit in order to boost the development of any needed modification :)

Batmann

04 Mar 2013, 15:24

I think pretty much any custom pcb can be moded to modify the switch pins location.

maxmalkav
dye hard

04 Mar 2013, 15:41

Batmann wrote:I think pretty much any custom pcb can be moded to modify the switch pins location.
Do yo mean modding a real PCB?

Batmann

04 Mar 2013, 16:21

I don't think that would be possible.
I mean once you have the source file for the custom pcb, it is possible to modifie the pin footprints to make them match an alp switch (same goes for the custom plate if it has to be plated)
I reckon that's some good amount of work but it's not like starting from scratch

maxmalkav
dye hard

04 Mar 2013, 22:52

Batmann wrote:I don't think that would be possible.
I mean once you have the source file for the custom pcb, it is possible to modifie the pin footprints to make them match an alp switch (same goes for the custom plate if it has to be plated)
I reckon that's some good amount of work but it's not like starting from scratch
I agree. Modifying the current design may be tiring, but I suspect even a non so skilled guy may do the modification work. We are talking about editing of the component (the switch) and where the holes will be placed. It's time for some CAD and PCB design ;)

gmjhowe

05 Mar 2013, 00:04

But are there CAD files are any pcbs 'kicking' around for someone to adapt or play with?

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

05 Mar 2013, 01:26

If we could fashion a Hypermini HACK with an ALPS switch, I'm in.

phetto
Elite

05 Mar 2013, 05:55

I asked 7bit in the Hyper GB thread if he could check this thread and maybe run a gb for this alps pcb at the same time but didnt get an answer.. I think that was in december

Trev

05 Mar 2013, 06:07

phetto wrote:I asked 7bit in the Hyper GB thread if he could check this thread and maybe run a gb for this alps pcb at the same time but didnt get an answer.. I think that was in december
Worst case we could all just chip in $5-10 each, pay someone who's willing to design/mod a couple of PCB layouts. Make it worth their effort.

maxmalkav
dye hard

05 Mar 2013, 09:52

PCB design is in my wishlist, but I have more urgent tasks (like finishing my PhD :S) In several months I should have enough time to start tinkering with something like that (with the helpful advice of some quite experienced workmates). But by now ... no time for that, mates :(

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

05 Mar 2013, 19:43

maxmalkav wrote:PCB design is in my wishlist, but I have more urgent tasks (like finishing my PhD :S) In several months I should have enough time to start tinkering with something like that (with the helpful advice of some quite experienced workmates). But by now ... no time for that, mates :(
Come on, just apply for more funding and delay the old PhD for another year. Your research has revealed a new variable that will require further research. Isn't that how things work in PhD programs?

phetto
Elite

05 Mar 2013, 21:27

Trev wrote:
phetto wrote:I asked 7bit in the Hyper GB thread if he could check this thread and maybe run a gb for this alps pcb at the same time but didnt get an answer.. I think that was in december
Worst case we could all just chip in $5-10 each, pay someone who's willing to design/mod a couple of PCB layouts. Make it worth their effort.
I'm down for this, help me find someone that can do that then :D

maxmalkav
dye hard

06 Mar 2013, 01:34

prdlm2009 wrote:
maxmalkav wrote:PCB design is in my wishlist, but I have more urgent tasks (like finishing my PhD :S) In several months I should have enough time to start tinkering with something like that (with the helpful advice of some quite experienced workmates). But by now ... no time for that, mates :(
Come on, just apply for more funding and delay the old PhD for another year. Your research has revealed a new variable that will require further research. Isn't that how things work in PhD programs?
LOL! More funding? PhD? Spain? I was already naive enough to start a PhD here, but not enough to dream with extra funding ;)
Here, the PhD students' meetings are the closest thing to group therapy for us.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

06 Mar 2013, 04:14

Good luck in that Spanish job market. I hear it's brutal for young folks.

maxmalkav
dye hard

06 Mar 2013, 12:38

prdlm2009 wrote:Good luck in that Spanish job market. I hear it's brutal for young folks.
Thanks, it is really that hard. Lots of skilled people are just leaving the country (do you need an educated gardener? ;) )

Kurk

06 Mar 2013, 20:24

gmjhowe wrote:But are there CAD files are any pcbs 'kicking' around for someone to adapt or play with?
The files of Komar's 60% board are available here:
https://github.com/komar007/ghkb

They smell like Kicad.

vivalarevolución
formerly prdlm2009

06 Mar 2013, 20:27

maxmalkav wrote:
prdlm2009 wrote:Good luck in that Spanish job market. I hear it's brutal for young folks.
Thanks, it is really that hard. Lots of skilled people are just leaving the country (do you need an educated gardener? ;) )
Trust me, if I had the cash, I would hire myself an overeducated gardener that also could design and build my dream compact Alps keyboard.

maxmalkav
dye hard

07 Mar 2013, 01:25

Kurrk wrote:
gmjhowe wrote:But are there CAD files are any pcbs 'kicking' around for someone to adapt or play with?
The files of Komar's 60% board are available here:
https://github.com/komar007/ghkb

They smell like Kicad.
Installing latest version of Kicad. I foresee tons of procrastination in my horizon ... :S

EDIT:
checking the CAD files for GHKB, the previous technical details in this thread and stuff like this picture:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-h2-ivVLpiwE/U ... s_keys.jpg
it's quite clear that the MX pins are located differently than ALPS ones. On the other hand, MX requires a total of 4 holes (two for assure the proper alignment of the switch plus two for the connector pins), ALPS only requires two holes for its pins. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a ALPS PCB will have less holes than a Cherry one (cleaner design?).

Apart from accommodating the switches in the right place, the resting desing should be totally compatible.

phetto
Elite

08 Mar 2013, 05:57

Just want to inform you guys that there is new cases over at MK that would work perfect with this. http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/ind ... _list&c=44

matt3o
-[°_°]-

09 Mar 2013, 09:45

maxmalkav wrote:On the other hand, MX requires a total of 4 holes (two for assure the proper alignment of the switch plus two for the connector pins)
that is true for PCB mounted only. Plate mounted has only 2 pins.

FYI I'm going to do an ALPS plate for these http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/refi ... ml#p102182

Okeg

10 Mar 2013, 16:15

+1 for matt3os pcb, i've always dreamt of an alps keyboard, not to mention that that is my dream layout.

My uncle's quite skilled in metal works, I can maybe ask him to make a few cases.

Btw: Due to the small selection of keycaps for alps(compared to cherry), so we should force Mr.Interface to massproduce his adapter!

Maybe this will spark some alps interest?

pasph

11 Mar 2013, 00:13

Yes an adapter is the answer.
We will love a new place to put the billions of useless overpriced caps we've bought

maxmalkav
dye hard

11 Mar 2013, 00:20

matt3o wrote:
maxmalkav wrote:On the other hand, MX requires a total of 4 holes (two for assure the proper alignment of the switch plus two for the connector pins)
that is true for PCB mounted only. Plate mounted has only 2 pins.

FYI I'm going to do an ALPS plate for these http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/refi ... ml#p102182
Matt3o, you are a restless guy :P You are doing a very nice work about your PCB design. Are you also tinkering with Kicad?
In my case, I want a 60% board without arrows, just the regular alpha and modifiers and using a Fn layer to do the trick about cursors. I even prefer the winkeyless designs, to be honest.

BTW, I can ask some guys from my department and drop you some names of PCB manufacturers. Some of them located in Europe and others in Asia. I think even the Asian option may be cheaper depending on the configuration.

matt3o
-[°_°]-

11 Mar 2013, 11:25

maxmalkav wrote:Matt3o, you are a restless guy :P You are doing a very nice work about your PCB design. Are you also tinkering with Kicad?
yes I'm working on kicad, I'm not that skilled, so it takes me a lot of time but it's coming out :)
maxmalkav wrote: In my case, I want a 60% board without arrows, just the regular alpha and modifiers and using a Fn layer to do the trick about cursors. I even prefer the winkeyless designs, to be honest.
well, once we have the core elements settled (spacings, pcb, case, ...) adding layouts wouldn't be a big issue. Anyway my project was born to fill a gap between the 7bit's hypermicro and the geekhack's GH60. I don't want to overlap with those projects.

Anyway all source files will be open, so you could always toy with the sources.
maxmalkav wrote:BTW, I can ask some guys from my department and drop you some names of PCB manufacturers. Some of them located in Europe and others in Asia. I think even the Asian option may be cheaper depending on the configuration.
that would be really amazing. Any help would be really appreciated!

What I really need though is a reasonably priced laser cut or CNC mill service.

Okeg

13 Mar 2013, 19:17

So, where do we stand?
WIll we be going for matt3os pcb? I hope so

matt3o
-[°_°]-

13 Mar 2013, 19:30

Viz wrote:So, where do we stand?
WIll we be going for matt3os pcb? I hope so
I just designed the ALPS plate :P http://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/refi ... ml#p103466

now to the PCB, I'm going a bit slow, but it my first custom build so... any help would be greatly appreciated

Okeg

13 Mar 2013, 20:13

Looking good, great work. I would've helped you, but I lack the skills.

Merijn

13 Mar 2013, 20:31

Would it be wise to order some ALPS from 7bit in advance, or is there going to be a GB for everything when the time comes?

Return to “Workshop”